Snarf

Spreading Kritik

Nice find, really nice find. 

Credit to Zach Richter for posting it in a few debate Facebook groups. (I think he wrote it, but I can't be certain.) I really enjoyed it, and I hope more literature about competitive debate comes out from differently-abled communities and those inclined towards critical "disability" studies.

Also: "If disability is just another toy for abled debaters who don't need accommodations, it will go the way of the capitalism critique; mentioned all the time in tough rounds by skilled debaters, but rarely put into action." I hope anyone that reads this article respects this sentiment.

The idea that debate should be equally open to all sounds nice but ignores questions of trade offs. Hiring a note-taker seems like an inefficient use of school resources. There are better purposes that money could be put towards instead. In addition, I think the criticism that hiring flowers prevents competition is valid despite the arguments in that article. Flowing involves more than simple writing ability, it relies heavily on argument comprehension. Consequently I don't think that we can reasonably outsource it to others.

I also don't think that hiring note-takers would significantly improve the competitive success of those with autism. Autism makes communication difficult and causes some negative changes in cognition (for example, many with autism find metaphors impossible to understand). It also tends to preclude good social relationships. Those seem like much more challenging obstacles to competitive success and ones that can't be solved even by spending more money. Debate is an activity that involves skill and so inevitably people born lucky are going to have greater competitive success. Debate should try to increase its openness and equality, but mental disabilities are difficult to deal with. Even if we're prioritizing equality of debate over all other concerns, we should invest in fixing easier problems first, such as the underrepresentation of women.

Edited by Potatoes
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Could it be possible Spread the Spreading Kritik - and the A2- PerfCon be something such as Introducing it first means you have to defend the implications of it , or am I missing the point?

Another good source of evidence on this argument: The Supreme Court opinion in PGA Tour, Inc. v. Martin, which covered the basic question of "when is a competitive activity exempt from accommodating a disability?" The focus of Stevens' opinion was on what it means for an accommodation to "fundamentally alter" a sport, and there's a strong argument to be made that like walking relative to golf, note-taking relative to debate is not such a fundamental aspect of debate to justify disallowing note-taking. Of course, the argument can be made in both directions.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=000&invol=00-24#section1

Another analogy can be made to chess, where disabled players (most commonly blind players) may have an assistant record moves and press the clock for them.

Edited by Edgehopper
  • Upvote 2

Another good source of evidence on this argument: The Supreme Court opinion in PGA Tour, Inc. v. Martin, which covered the basic question of "when is a competitive activity exempt from accommodating a disability?" The focus of Stevens' opinion was on what it means for an accommodation to "fundamentally alter" a sport, and there's a strong argument to be made that like walking relative to golf, note-taking relative to debate is not such a fundamental aspect of debate to justify disallowing note-taking. Of course, the argument can be made in both directions.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=000&invol=00-24#section1

Another analogy can be made to chess, where disabled players (most commonly blind players) may have an assistant record moves and press the clock for them.

That's awesome. Is this the most recent precedent on the question?

Could it be possible Spread the Spreading Kritik - and the A2- PerfCon be something such as Introducing it first means you have to defend the implications of it , or am I missing the point?

Since the link story is performative (i.e., there's nothing about the text of the aff / neg that requires spreading, it would just take longer to read) you probably have to read it at a slower pace, or also bite the link. 

• Upvote 2

That's awesome. Is this the most recent precedent on the question?

Yes, at least at the Supreme Court level (and probably will be for a long time--the opening of Scalia's dissent has a point about how strange it is that the highest court in the land has to decide the pressing question of "What is golf?") I don't follow disability law generally, so I don't know if there's anything more recent on point in the Circuit courts.

Ehh. A few reasons I think that's a bad idea

First because you bite the link. There's not an alternative to the kritik (at least as it's written here); the argument is just that the judge should reject an unethical practice. Even if the alternative is to endorse slower and more accessible debates, I'd hope that the debaters advocating that alternative would have the decency to performatively show, in the round, what that kind of debate would look like.

Second, I don't think your answer to "you bite the link" is very good. Spreading means a team should defend the implications of it, but that doesn't mean that you can spread without also having to defend its implications. If it's bad, and you think the judge should reject it, why don't you do it too? I'm not sure any judge will buy the argument, really.

Third, I think it's not a good idea to spread this with another strategy. If you think this K is true, you should probably read just this K when you think it's appropriate or a pressing concern in the round. Again quoting the anonymous post I recently shared, "If disability is just another toy for abled debaters who don't need accommodations, it will go the way of the capitalism critique; mentioned all the time in tough rounds by skilled debaters, but rarely put into action." This K - unlike cap or colonialism - is one whose link you actually have the ability to actively disengage from, permanently. I can't escape coloniality but I can keep myself from spreading (hence it's possible for me to be an ironic critic of colonialism while still participating in it regardless if I feasibly want to or not); I recommend you not to use this argument strategically, but rather passionately, if you really believe in it. Spreading it along with your CP+DA+T+CaseTurns strat is just disingenuous. 

• Upvote 3

Ehh. A few reasons I think that's a bad idea

First because you bite the link. There's not an alternative to the kritik (at least as it's written here); the argument is just that the judge should reject an unethical practice. Even if the alternative is to endorse slower and more accessible debates, I'd hope that the debaters advocating that alternative would have the decency to performatively show, in the round, what that kind of debate would look like.

Second, I don't think your answer to "you bite the link" is very good. Spreading means a team should defend the implications of it, but that doesn't mean that you can spread without also having to defend its implications. If it's bad, and you think the judge should reject it, why don't you do it too? I'm not sure any judge will buy the argument, really.

Third, I think it's not a good idea to spread this with another strategy. If you think this K is true, you should probably read just this K when you think it's appropriate or a pressing concern in the round. Again quoting the anonymous post I recently shared, "If disability is just another toy for abled debaters who don't need accommodations, it will go the way of the capitalism critique; mentioned all the time in tough rounds by skilled debaters, but rarely put into action." This K - unlike cap or colonialism - is one whose link you actually have the ability to actively disengage from, permanently. I can't escape coloniality but I can keep myself from spreading (hence it's possible for me to be an ironic critic of colonialism while still participating in it regardless if I feasibly want to or not); I recommend you not to use this argument strategically, but rather passionately, if you really believe in it. Spreading it along with your CP+DA+T+CaseTurns strat is just disingenuous. 

^ this. 

Its important to note that you can also read this kritik along with other things - like another kritik. My teams at NFLs last year read this and Positive Peace every 1NC that teams spread and had war scenarios. I liked that because the thesis of both dovetails nicely.

If you have a topic specific kritik that you could say slowly, you could read that too. 

Rise from the dead it has been far too long for the Speed K :Bow  :Bow  :Bow  :Bow  :Bow 

Snarf, if you still have this file could you please gmail it to me at greysondebate@gmail.com or update the dropbox link? I would appreciate it greatly. (The dropbox link is 404 Not Found).  

No need for trades -- if someone PMs me tomorrow I'll try to update this thread with a new upload of the file. PMs send an email notification, which will remind me. I'd do it now but I'm swamped with classes, clubs, and newspaper work, also I'll probably forget about this by tomorrow lel

• Upvote 3