Chaos

Girls Are Better At Spreading.

Significantly, as a general rule. Why? Just a matter of pitch? Or is it that the only girls who remain in debate tend to be totally elite? Or are my observations unique?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

*Insert sexist joke about spreading*

I actually have a hoodie with a list of reasons why you should "debate like a girl" (actual words on it). Unfortunately, I don't have it with me, but in my opinion, the stereotype is generally true.

• Upvote 1

The Cubic Law of Nature. 
Opposite sex organs prove 
male & female to be binary 
opposites equal zero value, 
and nothing as unified one. 
You are educated ENTITY 
STUPID for all Creation is 
composed of Opposites ---- 
which equate to Zero value 
existence - and cancels out 
to nothing if unified as one. 
Before Word was invented, 
no God existed upon Earth. 
Truth cannot be uttered so 
that's why I am writing it. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

The Cubic Law of Nature. 

Opposite sex organs prove 

male & female to be binary 

opposites equal zero value, 

and nothing as unified one. 

You are educated ENTITY 

STUPID for all Creation is 

composed of Opposites ---- 

which equate to Zero value 

existence - and cancels out 

to nothing if unified as one. 

Before Word was invented, 

no God existed upon Earth. 

Truth cannot be uttered so 

that's why I am writing it. 

If a Man cannot tear a page 

from the bible and burn it - 

then he cannot be a scientist, 

or participate in Symposium - 

to measure Cubing of Earth 

with Cubic intelligence wiser 

than any man or god known. 

Educators have destroyed the 

human analytical brain to a 

single perspective, in spite of 

all creation within  Universe 

being based upon opposites, 

binaries & antipodes, including 

Sun/Earth binary relative to the

human male/female binary. No 

ancient insignificant dead 1 Jew 

godism can match or exceed the 

enormity of the Sun/Earth 

Binary. His heart is not big 

enough for sharing with the 

vastness of created opposites. 

1 has no heart beat or breath, 

constituting death of opposites.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

this is pretty subjective.  i have no idea what you're basing this on

just as a quick data reference, as far as i can tell there have been four female top speakers at the TOC in the last 40 years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tournament_of_Champions_(debate)#Past_Policy_Debate_Top_Speakers

not saying guys are better or whatever.  there just doesn't seem to be any particular link between gender and spreading ability

Edited by DML
  • Upvote 1

Don't agree with the stereotype. Some of the fastest and clearest HS spreaders last year were men. Humza and Hemanth spring to mind...

Maybe female spreaders seem more clear because they have generally higher pitched voices, though?

Don't agree with the stereotype. Some of the fastest and clearest HS spreaders last year were men. Humza and Hemanth spring to mind...

Maybe female spreaders seem more clear because they have generally higher pitched voices, though?

lol hemanth fastest

• Upvote 2

idk i kind of agree with hubris, not to be sexist, but the top level spreaders are usually male debaters, but females (that atleast I have seen) tend to be faster than the average male debater, but not necessarily clearer. I believe it is because of the pitch, but also because there are so many males in policy and that means a lot of them aren't particularly fast and thus when you see a fast female spreader from there minority sex in debate, comparatively to the large majority of slow male spreaders, she seems fast. Atleast those are my thoughts on the topic.

idk i kind of agree with hubris, not to be sexist, "but the top level spreaders are usually debaters", but females (that atleast I have seen) tend to be faster than the average male debater, but not necessarily clearer. I believe it is because of the pitch, but also because there are so many males in policy and that means a lot of them aren't particularly fast and thus when you see a fast female spreader from there minority sex in debate, comparatively to the large majority of slow male spreaders, she seems fast. Atleast those are my thoughts on the topic.

This is the equivalent of this sign. 

CaptainObviousStrikesAgain-23.jpg

Pretty sure the my school duo team would be bad at spreading.

I only see one difference between the male and female speakers I have met. The females are better sports and less arrogant than the males. I have seen some really good speakers from each group. I have never seen a female that refused to listen to a male partner that knew something she did not. I have seen a few males that are unwilling to listen to their female partners and yet are very receptive to the same information coming from another male team member. Wisdom, knowledge, research info, logic, ideas, etc. should be judged on their merits and not the biology of the speaker. Do not fall victim to the genetic fallacy. I have seen rounds lost or nearly lost simply because partners fail to function as a team. Partners should respect each other. Research burdens will vary due to other class schedule differences. You may need to tell your partner something one time and ask them another time. Either situation should be comfortable for both partners. If it is not, perhaps a change of partners would benefit all parties. Regarding speed reading, I think females are just more honest with themselves in terms of speed and clarity. Males just want to be the fastest and sometimes clarity suffers in the process. Never read faster than your slowest judge can listen. If you want to increase your speed, practice speaking faster and also listening to speeches at faster paces. Use the internet for speed debate videos. A Texas Tech University Debate Team Member that had transferred from Southern Illinois University told me it took eight years of practice for TTU's national cahampions to get as fast as they were. I know two students in Austin who will be HS juniors that have incredible speed skills. The more you practice, the faster you will get better.

WTJAZZ

Significantly, as a general rule. Why? Just a matter of pitch? Or is it that the only girls who remain in debate tend to be totally elite? Or are my observations unique?

I think you just get more aroused when you hear a girl spread.

• Upvote 7

One of my former coaches told me it had something to do with the Adam's Apple but he was an idiot so I don't know if that was credible or not.  My female partner did no speaking drills and was hella faster than me.

as a girl, i can attest to this. that's not to say boys can't spread, they just usually end up lacking as much clarity as their female counterparts. But the voices of some of the girls who can spread well are WAAAAAY too high. I've been in rounds where the girl starts spreading but the judges get easily annoyed by the pitch despite the fact that she may very well be a good debater.

as a girl, i can attest to this. that's not to say boys can't spread, they just usually end up lacking as much clarity as their female counterparts. But the voices of some of the girls who can spread well are WAAAAAY too high. I've been in rounds where the girl starts spreading but the judges get easily annoyed by the pitch despite the fact that she may very well be a good debater.

The worst spreader at our school is a female. The best spreaders at our school are female. It's really up in the air.

Pretty sure there's good evidence that higher pitch lets you talk faster with more clarity.  Pure speed does not dictate speaker points or debating success though, so that's not going to be a useful proxy of speed. 

You'd literally need to record a bunch of speakers, count words per minute, and then look at how the gender ratio was distributed.  (I'd especially focus on the top 10-20%, because the claim isn't that all women are faster, but that women can be faster because of pitch differences, so you're looking for how the top speeds separate out by gender).

And the differences between top male and female debaters on their speed are probably small enough to not give women a significant competitive advantage.