CrossMyXs

Help For Spreading

Upcoming novices- spreading the following passages really helps your pronunciation and speed.

toyboat toyboat toyboat toyboat toyboat toyboat toyboat toyboat toyboat

toyboat toyboat toyboat toyboat toyboat toyboat  toyboat toyboat toyboat

good blood bad blood good blood bad blood good blood bad blood good blood bad blood 

good blood bad blood good blood bad blood good blood bad blood good blood bad blood 

• Upvote 7

Upcoming novices - these really help your pronunciation and speed.

Repeat the word "toyboat" as fast as you can clearly.

Repeat the phrase "good blood bad blood" as fast as you can clearly.

Working on word economy is also a worthwhile endeavor ;)

• Upvote 3

What evidence is there to recommend drills over reading actual cards, if any?

I've wondered this too. All I do is read common cards again and again. Seems to work for me, although I'm not particularly fast 

• Upvote 1

The logic behind drills is that your every-day cards don't contain the crazy long kritik words you will stumble into

• Upvote 1

Don't just read fast over and over again. You need drills like the backwards drill and over-enunciation drill. Spread cards backwards and over-enunciate syllables at a slow pace.

You know it's true.. if you can spread like 500wpm saying "toyboat" and other tongue twisters (clearly and understandable ofc), then you officially mastered spreading. But I recommend starting with "Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers". :P

Upcoming novices- spreading the following passages really helps your pronunciation and speed.

toyboat toyboat toyboat toyboat toyboat toyboat  toyboat toyboat toyboat

How often and how long should we do this?

Often and for a long time.

There's not a formula, just practice often and for extended periods of time (like 20 or 30 minutes a day, or every other day, if you want to be very quick). I recommend just reading cards though. Not necessarily common ones, but practice your 1AC or common 1NCs, be super clear (clarity is literally all that matters), and do rebuttal re-dos. You'll get much faster with practice.

i did the toyboat drill everyday since this post was created. i can now top 940 wpm for the 1ac 

HAHAHAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HA

HAHAHAHAH

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAH

HA

HAHAH

HA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAH

HAHHAHAHA

HAHA

HA

• Upvote 6

Couple of drills:

-pen in the mouth: stick a pen between your teeth and spread; this helps clarity and speed

-reading card texts backwards: your brain doesn't have to process so you go faster

-reading cards in Pig Latin: ditto

-reading a tongue twister after each sentence of a card - e.g. mongols example above

-singing cards helps...apparently (though this one I think might just have been edmund zagorin being a sadist) 

• Upvote 3

-singing cards helps...apparently (though this one I think might just have been edmund zagorin being a sadist) 

With other people.  And harmonizing (lol Xylum)

read cards backwards as fast as you can (Just the phrases, not the word backwards) and then read them as fast as you can forwards. that's just for speed. you also need to take breath control and clarity into account. 

• Upvote 2

Another good drill(especially for getting through kritikal cards fast without stumbing) is reading the card as fast as you can while saying a one syllable expression in between the actual words of your card.  For example:  

Central(blah) Asian(blah) states(blah) For(blah) a(blah) decade(blah) they(blah) have(blah) faced(blah).............

You get the point

• Upvote 1

Another good drill(especially for getting through kritikal cards fast without stumbing) is reading the card as fast as you can while saying a one syllable expression in between the actual words of your card.  For example:  

Central(blah) Asian(blah) states(blah) For(blah) a(blah) decade(blah) they(blah) have(blah) faced(blah).............

You get the point

I like the words "watermelon", "multilateralism", "gynecologist", "salamander", and "epistemology" for this one :3