NorikoSatsume

The Nfl Wants Us To Submit Resolutions For Next Year

I sort of want a topic talking about Pope Francis and the Catholic church, but have no idea how one could be written in a way that fairly divides ground and isn't very susceptible to biased judging. I just think that it's a neat subject that could be fun and informative to debate about. It's relevant to current events, but retains a strong connection to value level arguments. It's something that's important throughout the world, but doesn't depend terribly much on specialized knowledge. It also would be unusual in that few topics haven't had the US or individuals as their agents, and none have had religious actors. If anyone likes this idea and has any sort of idea about a subject that would maximize the benefits while minimizing the detriments, I suppose that this thread would be the place to write those ideas down. I don't really believe that we'd produce something topic worthy, but I do think it might be fun to pretend as though we had that sort of capability.

• Downvote 1

I sort of want a topic talking about Pope Francis and the Catholic church, but have no idea how one could be written in a way that fairly divides ground and isn't very susceptible to biased judging. I just think that it's a neat subject that could be fun and informative to debate about. It's relevant to current events, but retains a strong connection to value level arguments. It's something that's important throughout the world, but doesn't depend terribly much on specialized knowledge. It also would be unusual in that few topics haven't had the US or individuals as their agents, and none have had religious actors. If anyone likes this idea and has any sort of idea about a subject that would maximize the benefits while minimizing the detriments, I suppose that this thread would be the place to write those ideas down. I don't really believe that we'd produce something topic worthy, but I do think it might be fun to pretend as though we had that sort of capability.

Trust me from personal experience when I say that topics with religious actors are a terrible, terrible, terrible idea.

• Upvote 5

Trust me from personal experience when I say that topics with religious actors are a terrible, terrible, terrible idea.

Storytime?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

"The Roman Catholic church should establish new standards for ordination into the priesthood."

I hope you're not Catholic, otherwise your "Ban the Church" CP might land you in trouble with your friendly neighborhood bishop. 

• Upvote 1

"The Roman Catholic church should establish new standards for ordination into the priesthood."

I hope you're not Catholic, otherwise your "Ban the Church" CP might land you in trouble with your friendly neighborhood bishop.

Change "should" to "ought to"

• Downvote 1

That's right, they want us to do their job for them.

http://www.nationalforensicleague.org/aspx/nav.aspx?navid=227

What resolutions would you submit and what's your justification for them?

An error occurred

You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day

• Upvote 1

Change "should" to "ought to"

Any particular reason for that?

• Upvote 1

"Ought" turns the debate into a completely theoretical moral question which can lead to a solvency debate with a utilitarian framework, though the debate would still be all about framework. "Should" turns the debate into fiat-based solvency in presumption. LD is all about Ought, Policy is all about Should

• Downvote 1

"Ought" turns the debate into a completely theoretical moral question which can lead to a solvency debate with a utilitarian framework, though the debate would still be all about framework. "Should" turns the debate into fiat-based solvency in presumption. LD is all about Ought, Policy is all about Should

Those words only have that connotation within LD, because LD is obsessed with distinguishing itself from policy. To most people, ought is just a more formal version of should.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I'm going to stake out the middle ground on the above discussion:

• ought and should do.  

Is the division important: yes AND no.  To be true, in practice the idea that ought or should excludes particular arguments from debate is pretty porous.

Should we increase welfare?

Should we start X war?  

I think the effectiveness of gun statutes is still an important issue even with "ought" resolutions.

The line between these two is helpful....a bit in creating bins or divisions of arguments.....

but in practice those bins don't hold.  The issues overlap too much--and it is as it should be.

To me the larger issue is parametrics.  I think there is a tradition associated with parametrics in Policy....and arguably in LD its pretty new.  To me, the use of parametrics in debate tries to change what is already an effective system for debate.

I can imagine there are people who have judged 10X of me....and who are on both sides of the issue.  And I can certainly side with those who would say that it might make debates more unpredictable--and so keep things fresh (especially the way resolutions in LD get recycled).  I would think it would improve clash in certain areas (ie specificity), but could make debates hard to watch if the neg was unprepared.

Also, i would make the argument that parametrics is an arbitrary way to limit out debate--perhaps to limit out counter-warrants......or what should be legitimate negative ground in these types of debate.  They assert automatic representativeness rather than actually being able to make that argument (an admitted overgeneralization....but I think possibly true in practice).