zetazetadelta

Tell Me What Blocks You Need And I'll Make Them.

A2 DnG State PIC

tl;dr: You probably have this already, just not organized as such:

Look through your answers against Deleuze and choose the cards that make sense in the context of the PIC. Hallward 06 is a cool card.

Take your favorite DnG perms and see if they work in the context of the PIC. D&G write the best perms to their own kritik, at least I think so - and not just the 'Ride the Strata' one.

Write your own warranted answers to each of the net benefits for this - there's several versions of the argument with like 6 or 7 or so total NBs that I've found - some of them are pretty silly (it's been too long since I've gone through my state PIC file so sorry, I can't remember which ones or why exactly).

Write solvency takeouts if you do policy affs (they can't solve any of the affirmative, really) and do good impact framing in favor of incremental policy solutions and bodycounts and such, as long as that's how your aff rolls. If your aff is kritikal, write your own blocks - no one can do that for you, and the more specific the better! I think the State PIC is best against K affs, but also, K affs have the best offense against it.

Read cards on why focusing on micropolitics is bad, and on why using the state is good. Walzer 83 & Collins 97 are what I have but I'm sure there's a ton of literature about this.

I can post any specific cards I've mentioned if anyone wants em

• Upvote 2

how about writing some topicality files? 

I don't know if there's any good literature left out there with respect to topicality that still needs to be cut, at least in the infinitive. For the LA topic specifically, though, I'd be willing to find some definitions, but that's like 15 minutes of work, pretty much anyone can do it.

Queer Theory is busting my balls right now...full disclosure, this argument is actually ran a whole lot of different ways, so I think for this block I'll just post a bunch of cards loosely organized and you can pick and choose to block whichever specific argument you had in mind. "AT Queer Theory" isn't really possible, it's a whole subset of pomo lit, but I'll do my best to find generalized indicts of the school and whatnot.

• Upvote 2

I don't know if there's any good literature left out there with respect to topicality that still needs to be cut, at least in the infinitive. For the LA topic specifically, though, I'd be willing to find some definitions, but that's like 15 minutes of work, pretty much anyone can do it.

Queer Theory is busting my balls right now...full disclosure, this argument is actually ran a whole lot of different ways, so I think for this block I'll just post a bunch of cards loosely organized and you can pick and choose to block whichever specific argument you had in mind. "AT Queer Theory" isn't really possible, it's a whole subset of pomo lit, but I'll do my best to find generalized indicts of the school and whatnot.

THANK YOU 

I'm going to suggest variations of Nietzsche & various critiques of morality/ethics/values are good opportunities for frontline writing.

RE: Queer theory.  You might look into its overall abandonment of institutions (in the case of the link) and isolation.  I heard one impact turn--I'm sure their are others--about how LGBT is too isolationist, which keeps it from being transformative.  I'm not sure if that assumes the LGBT proper (we're loud and proud) or more the theory/academia end of things or some other sub-movement.  I wish I could remember which team made this at MBA...and ended up winning the round versus the Valdez version of this argument.

China Relations disad blocks, please (for next years topic)

Helpful links: 

http://www.chinacenter.net/chinas-growing-presence-in-latin-america-implications-for-u-s-and-chinese-presence-in-the-region/

http://www.thedialogue.org/PublicationFiles/IAD8661_China_Triangular0424v2e-may.pdf

The first one argues about how their presence may not be zero sum

The second link talks about a lot of alt causes

Here's AT Queer Theory:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3254sdxyju91tys/AT%20Queer%20Theory.docx?m

Sorry for the long delay! I've had a busy couple of weeks. This is a particularly long block in recompense. Next in line is a block to consult NATO; if anyone knows of cites for that argument, it would help me out a lot in starting to make ATs.

Cheers.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Here's AT Queer Theory:

Sorry for the long delay! I've had a busy couple of weeks. This is a particularly long block in recompense. Next in line is a block to consult NATO; if anyone knows of cites for that argument, it would help me out a lot in starting to make ATs.

Cheers.

Just wondering are you not doing irony good or are you coming back for it?

Just wondering are you not doing irony good or are you coming back for it?

Yes, I skipped over both AT Satire and Irony good; all I've gotten to cut so far is critical lit, and I can really only do so much of that in a row before I want to kill myself. 

I'll do Consult NATO, and then jump back to both sides of the irony debate. Sorry for the delay!

• Upvote 2

Yes, I skipped over both AT Satire and Irony good; all I've gotten to cut so far is critical lit, and I can really only do so much of that in a row before I want to kill myself. 

I'll do Consult NATO, and then jump back to both sides of the irony debate. Sorry for the delay!

Don't worry about it! I wouldn't use it till next year anyways. And I agree with Hubris, haha!

So, now that I've produced a bit of evidence, I was hoping to get some feedback from people. There are some specific questions I have, but any general criticism would also be welcome.

1. Do I overhighlight cards? Seems as if the ones I highlight end up a lot longer than cards other people highlight, which frustrates me, because I feel like if I was briefer I would be compromising the warrant.

2. Am I neglecting major portions of the kritikal debate in any of these files? Obviously F/W, but other than that.

3. Am I misusing any of the cards? Someone called me out on a selective cutting earlier in the thread; if anyone has objections PLEASE bring them up, the last thing I want to do is introduce illegitimate / cheating evidence.

4. Are you guys finding some value in these files? 

Here's AT Queer Theory:

Cheers.

Identity politics are a precondition for political Action 
Kirsch 6

Isnt that a solvency card for the K, not an answer? "The recognition of â€sexual   identities,†  in all their ambivalence,    seems to be the precondition for the realization of sexual diversity."

• Upvote 2

Identity politics are a precondition for political Action 
Kirsch 6

Isnt that a solvency card for the K, not an answer? "The recognition of â€sexual   identities,†  in all their ambivalence,    seems to be the precondition for the realization of sexual diversity."

Nope. Queer theory derides identity politics as contrived, claiming that there are really no sexual / gender groups with which to identify.

Nope. Queer theory derides identity politics as contrived, claiming that there are really no sexual / gender groups with which to identify.

Aside from the fact that not all queer theorists take that stance, the version of queer theory you're talking about (post-structuralist) argues that there are no groups, BECAUSE our identities are so different. Their argument (simplistically) is that we're all snowflakes, so different that no two are alike in a meaningfully groupable. Their argument (complicated) is that we are iterative sliding planes of intersectional difference that shift constantly such that static notions of identity are misguided, but progressive and shifting notions of identity are successful. 

Saying "we think identity differently" is not "we dont believe identity exists".

• Upvote 2

Aside from the fact that not all queer theorists take that stance, the version of queer theory you're talking about (post-structuralist) argues that there are no groups, BECAUSE our identities are so different. Their argument (simplistically) is that we're all snowflakes, so different that no two are alike in a meaningfully groupable. Their argument (complicated) is that we are iterative sliding planes of intersectional difference that shift constantly such that static notions of identity are misguided, but progressive and shifting notions of identity are successful. 

Saying "we think identity differently" is not "we dont believe identity exists".

Fair enough... I don't think you could find Butler saying anything in affirmation of "sexual identity" though, which is what the card in question says in integral to diversity. I think we can probably agree that queer theorists on the whole would emphatically forward the idea that traditional notions of sexual identity need to be abandoned; some (all that I've read) would say that those identities are false and based on unreal conceptions, and apparently others advocate a shifting and loose idea of identity.

Although, I can't say I know of any Queer Theorists that advocate that. As far as I'm aware, one of the defining characteristics of QT in opposition to other studies of gender and sexuality is the abstraction of both concepts. 

Furthermore, the identity Kirsch refers to is most definitely that of the sexual group and not the individual; in another card I believe he says explicitly that identity derives from a group consciousness. Certainly, it's a postulate that his argument relies on for basic coherency.

I think there are some perm cards that should be in the file "pomo identity bad" perhaps.

For instance the cards from this article: http://www.uta.edu/huma/illuminations/kell28.htm

Even "post modern feminism bad" should work.

The tail end of this article has some of that: http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/1341478?uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&sid=21102243240061

(its obviously also on Lexis).  Note: this is a LONG article to read....just skip to the history of feminism part at the end.

Also the positionality perm cards are kind of interesting.

Overall, I think underlining book titles makes it easier to read cites.  Kind of silly, I realize.

Indexes might be nice.  

Good work.  Impressive.

Hallward 06

D&G write the best perms to their own kritik, at least I think so - and not just the 'Ride the Strata' one.

Walzer 83 & Collins 97

I can post any specific cards I've mentioned if anyone wants em

Please? Thanks

Not going to lie, this is genius. How do they spin a NB? 

by creating a new world order of course!!! all jokes aside, it would have to be like an anti bureaucracy thing, or like extinction inevitable if we don't learn to embrace and adapt to the unknown

• Upvote 1

by creating a new world order of course!!! all jokes aside, it would have to be like an anti bureaucracy thing, or like extinction inevitable if we don't learn to embrace and adapt to the unknown

In a Nietzsche file, I found a Deleuze card talking about how we should just "Role the dice and accept our fate". Guess it could be tagged "Shake the Magic 8 ball and accept our fate"

• Upvote 2