Whoispink

Trying To Convince Parents To Allow Me To Go To Gonzaga, Can Someone Answer A Couple Questions About It?

So I'm trying to go to Gonzaga University for its 2 week debate camp and they initally agreed to it, but it seems my father has some sort of resistence from a outside of state camp( I'm in TX)   I've managed to answer his concerns about it and listed everything the camp has managed to stay about it but his main compliant or worry is the fact its not offering a shuttle service to the camp registration.  He hasnt explained in too much detail but says its a worry of me just being dropped off on the other side of the campus and left to try finding it on my own..

So to anyone who has gone, can you explain the quality of shuttle services to Gonzaga  and how large you felt the campus was.

Their orientation packet that you receive once you sign up explains everything.

The problem is I'm not able to convince my father to sign me up till I have all of his concerns resolved. So I'm not able to get that orientation packet yet. I wish it we're that simple to solve

The problem is I'm not able to convince my father to sign me up till I have all of his concerns resolved. So I'm not able to get that orientation packet yet. I wish it we're that simple to solve

You're best off emailing or calling them. You will know which dorm the camp is being hosted out of, so taxi's over should not be a problem. 

A quick google yields this contact info:

gdistaff@gmail.com

509 313 6654

The GDI webpage answers your questions.  http://www.gonzagadebate.com/GDI%20FAQ%20Page.htm

1) You stay and register at Welch Hall. It's on North Dakota Street between Boon Ave and E Desmet Ave. It's also right next to the COG, which is a major focal point for the campus (book store/student union) and basically every Taxi service knows where it is.

2) No, there is no GDI hosted shuttle service. They do a pretty good job of grouping kids together for getting back to the airport and saving money by getting you there in a group in a cab.

In terms of getting to campus, as said, just direct the cab to Welch/The Cog on the GU campus and you'll get there. I've never heard of anyone not getting to the right spot via cab. Or look up the exact address of Welch and they'll plug it into their GPS and get you there.

3) Chances are you can find someone else who is flying in on the same day and close to the same time (on Cross-x) and you can share a cab to campus so you're not alone.

4) It's virtually impossible to get lost on this campus. There is no part of campus you can't walk to in 10 minutes. Chances are you'll see someone on campus and can ask for directions. There's even a pretty decent chance that it will be a nun or a priest who gives you directions :)

• Upvote 2

1) You stay and register at Welch Hall. It's on North Dakota Street between Boon Ave and E Desmet Ave. It's also right next to the COG, which is a major focal point for the campus (book store/student union) and basically every Taxi service knows where it is.

So much this. The cab driver knew exactly what I was talking about. Getting to campus was quick and easy.

even if you are completely stranded with no idea of anything, the GDI always has a "student director/coordinator" (can't remember the exact title) who is required to have a cell phone on them at all times, and the cell number is in the registration packet. Knowing the people who have held this position in the past, they are caring enough/required to care so much that, especially on the first day, if you so much as call them to say you're lost, they will send someone to find you and help you out. 

The GDI webpage answers your questions.  http://www.gonzagadebate.com/GDI%20FAQ%20Page.htm

2) No, there is no GDI hosted shuttle service. They do a pretty good job of grouping kids together for getting back to the airport and saving money by getting you there in a group in a cab.

In terms of getting to campus, as said, just direct the cab to Welch/The Cog on the GU campus and you'll get there. I've never heard of anyone not getting to the right spot via cab. Or look up the exact address of Welch and they'll plug it into their GPS and get you there.

3) Chances are you can find someone else who is flying in on the same day and close to the same time (on Cross-x) and you can share a cab to campus so you're not alone.

4) It's virtually impossible to get lost on this campus. There is no part of campus you can't walk to in 10 minutes. Chances are you'll see someone on campus and can ask for directions. There's even a pretty decent chance that it will be a nun or a priest who gives you directions :)

Yeah I think I've answered most of his concerns and its a matter of him wanting him to feel like he has the final say and has explored all options.  Last time I checked, he was browsing at hopes of finding a camp at SMU.  It will be a little tense convincing him but when I have showed him any of his concerns have been answered to, I cant see a problem to it.

Just echoing everything already said here - GDI was a great experience for me.  Getting to campus from the airport and around campus was not bad at all.  There are cabs that wait outside the airport, they'll know exactly where you want to go because a bunch of kids are flying in to the same airport and asking to go to the same place, and the fare isn't too bad (I think it was like $20 for us both years?) and when you're leaving camp they will provide a shuttle to the airport (at least they have for the last two years).  Your dorm will be right next door to the place where you eat all of your meals, and you are pretty close to all of the buildings that your lab sessions will be held in.  There are also a number of fast food restaurants just off campus if you get tired of the food in the COG (which you probably will).

Hi - I'm Leah one of the faculty members at the GDI - I wanted to make sure you all got the answers you needed about airport transportation

- Spokane Airport is not very large and there are cabs available at the airport that are VERY good at navigating the campus and all of these drivers carry maps with them just in case. They should know where they are going but those that don't will often times carry a GPS - Welch Hall on the Gonzaga Campus (1117 North Dakota Street)

- We have a full time staff member with a phone that you can call if students are lost or if there are complications with travel. Someone will ALWAYS have this phone (this applies through the course of the camp as well). 

- The Gonzaga campus is also very small and has lots of friendly faculty members constantly outside during the summer. If you did get off track on campus it would not be very hard to get back on track. 

If there are any other questions, please let me know! 

Can't wait to see everyone this summer!

• Upvote 1