traven

Affirmative Ideas

Hey guys, in a little less than a month I have a small regional debate tournament and i'm not sure what aff I should run. I've been running IWW all year and we have done really well with it, but we want to try something new like Maglev/Next Gen or even Hydrogen pipelines. Any body have some ideas? (preferably not main-stream affs, but be some-what topical)

I recently heard that NextGen is non-inherent.  However, unless your competitors are up-to-date, they will most likely not attack inherency, but I would run something else to be safe.

I recently heard that NextGen is non-inherent.  However, unless your competitors are up-to-date, they will most likely not attack inherency, but I would run something else to be safe.

I disagree. Traven said the tournament is in almost a month, so I'd expect competitors to be "up-to-date." I honestly don't know if NextGen is noninherent now, but I guess that's something to look into.

Hey guys, in a little less than a month I have a small regional debate tournament and i'm not sure what aff I should run. I've been running IWW all year and we have done really well with it, but we want to try something new like Maglev/Next Gen or even Hydrogen pipelines. Any body have some ideas? (preferably not main-stream affs, but be some-what topical)

Don't feel pressured to change your aff. It's a lot of work, new blocks, etc. and you won't know it nearly as well as your current aff, plus you won't know what to expect from the neg. If you do change your aff solely for the sake of unpredictability, then I'd suggest going all-out on the unpredictability and picking something obscure that nobody on your circuit will be ready for. That doesn't necessarily mean a full-k-screw-the-topic k aff, but something that your opponents won't have evidence against.

I hope that helps!

PM me your email if you want my icebreakers aff. I haven't touched it since March, and some parts are incomplete, but my blocks file is pretty extensive and touches on both on/off case, and has add-ons and stuff. 

I'd stick with the same case and maybe switch up the advantages/change anything that's giving you problems. Like others have said, you already know it pretty well, there's no real reason to change completely. 

• Upvote 1

I'd stick with the same case and maybe switch up the advantages/change anything that's giving you problems. Like others have said, you already know it pretty well, there's no real reason to change completely. 

^This

I have an IWW aff with rather uncommon advantages. PM me if you'd want it, I'm done for the year anyways