AlyseG

Best Research Databases For Debaters

Hello everyone, my coach is having me put together a list of "materials" the debate team will need next year. We can pass things off like thursday files as materials (its all ready on the list). I was wondering what research databases would be best and other suggested materials? (Other things we can put on: Books, files, totetables, flow paper, ect)

Thanks so much,

AG

Depending on how big your team is, the thursday file would be a waste of money. Cutting a poiltics file is relatively easy, it just requires time. Divying out cards to cut to members means you can put together a 100 page + file in a few days, then u/q is all you need for tournaments.

• Upvote 1

If you have access to a college's databases JSTOR, EBCOHost, Project Muse, Lexis Nexis are great places to get articles from.

Ideally this ^^^^^.  

You would actually be looking at Lexis Nexis Academic I believe.  I think the law firm product is different and distinct.

EBSCO Host is quite big and helpful--particularly for academic journals.  

I have access to it based on an association I belong to, which I think is $250 to $300 a year.  So if they want more than that....you may be paying too much.

I haven't done a comparison, but ProQuest is fairly close.  They have a specific k-12 product which probably has less resources than the college product, but is probably cheaper.

Not sure which one costs more or which one has better research journals.

Its too bad that the NFL or the NDCA hasn't put together a research package that you could purchase.  (ie group buying is a means to get prices down).  

In a world in which you perhaps don't get everything you want......I assembled a number of resources here:

http://compassioninpolitics.wordpress.com/2009/08/01/free-and-low-cost-alternatives-to-lexis-nexus-academic/

• Upvote 1