traven

Spreading Speeds

I am a sophomore in highschool and next year I plan on debating in most big pacific area tournaments. Currently my spreading speed is about 300wpm give or take about 25wpm depending on the card. About how fast is the average wpm while spreading at flow tournaments?

also: I am registered for the 3 week policy camp at Berkeley this summer, will my speeds increase while I am there? 

how fast is the average wpm while spreading at flow tournaments?

300? i dont think anybody counts the words per minutes coming out of their mouths

will my speeds increase while I am there? 

it's not like you show up at berkeley and feldman imbues you with epic debate power (as awesome as that might sound). you have to work hard/ do speaking drills. your speed only increases as long as you practice. also clarity > incomprehensible speed. 

300? i dont think anybody counts the words per minutes coming out of their mouths

I think most people have an estimate of how fast they go. As in - spread for 60 seconds and count the words, and judge if that was "normal" for you or not. I've not done this in a little while though so I've no idea how fast I personally am, except that I'm slower than most.

it's not like you show up at berkeley and feldman imbues you with epic debate power (as awesome as that might sound). you have to work hard/ do speaking drills. your speed only increases as long as you practice. also clarity > incomprehensible speed. 

I understand that feldman isn't going to make me a debate genius, what the question was is if i'm going to learn how to spread while i'm there. i.e: mini lab on spreading (never been to debate camp, so I don't really know what to expect)

"Speed is the number of ideas effectively communicated per minute that the judge expects the opponent to respond to"— Jarrod Atchison

Ergo......Smart + Clear beats fast.

I don't think you really need to increase your speed. The prime example of a great debater who is known for not being the fastest is Karthik from Woodward. He just is a really really smart with his args (ie: his cap k) and efficient.If I were you, I would prioritize just learning new shit for next year and getting more efficient than faster, b/c efficiency is the problem with most debaters anyways. 

• Upvote 1

"I was listening to the final round of the National Debate Tournament in 2001 ... Each team had one kid on it who had debated together when they were in high school. One of them was blazingly fast and one of them pokey and plaintively slow. And the two debated over and over again in college and the kid Andy Ryan who was plaintively slow managed to win almost every time ... Cover smart, cover smart. Don't think you have to cover every argument in the debate."

--Scott Deatherage, "The Speech"

http://www.cross-x.com/topic/50532-scott-deatherages-the-speech/

• Upvote 2

Speed is important even though some debaters get by without it. Ignoring a potential advantage is crippling yourself; don't do it.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1