Miro

Squad Evidence

Just wondering guys, how do your squads share evidence? Our squad has a communal dropbox, but it's kind've become this property thing, with different teams guarding "their" folders of evidence and accumulating and cutting stuff. Our varsity teams don't even put most of their stuff on the dropbox, and we don't have the system of "assignments" that I've heard other talk about, I just go out and do what I think needs to be done for my "folder". 

Is this similar to your experiences? Different?

I usually have a Folder that my partner and I share. Our team isn't that big and I'm the only one in the team who does the work such as cutting cards, getting neg strats for each case, and all that fun stuff.

What I wish that could be done if our team was bigger is: Everyone share a folder in the dropbox and whatever they want to submitt they can do so but still have assignments for each person/team (basically neg cards for a specific case [either a link for K, DA link, Solvency card for a CP, PTX update stuff])

• Upvote 1

Just wondering guys, how do your squads share evidence? Our squad has a communal dropbox, but it's kind've become this property thing, with different teams guarding "their" folders of evidence and accumulating and cutting stuff. Our varsity teams don't even put most of their stuff on the dropbox, and we don't have the system of "assignments" that I've heard other talk about, I just go out and do what I think needs to be done for my "folder". 

Ohgawd this describes our situation too well.

We have 1 communal dropbox that everyone shares, but it's not organized at all and each team seems to keep their own folder within it. Usually however people just cut cards on their computer and never put them on the dropbox. The rest is just filled with random articles, cards, etc. with no organization system known to humynkind. Thankfully we don't have as high of territory issues, but we do have issues where noone has any assignments, and so people just cut what they think helps them at the time. 

Recently I've been the person doing politics updates for our team, and I'll also be the ranking member on our team next year, so for next year's dropbox I'm going to attempt to change that. I'd love to hear everyone else's inputs so I can figure out how our's will be organized next year, especially if someone from one of the bigger, more successful schools comments.

we have one dropbox, everyone has a team folder... the BM team folder is bigger than the rest of the dropbox combined, and we're the only novice team that has anything in their folder.

i'm the only one on my team that has anything homecut (shoutout to impactturn). my partner hasn't cut anything and doesn't totally understand the three k's we're running next year (anthro, fear of death, gift). i have cut our entire 1ac myself. the other teams cut very little original evidence (to my knowledge; don't get offended). we don't really share anything, but i plan to change a lot of stuff next year as CX captain, assuming i get the position.

The HS I coach has a team-wide dropbox that everyone has access to, and a varsity dropbox that only experienced debaters have access to.  This is to ensure that our JV and novice debaters do not break strategies that varsity is planning to break in important debates, and because we want some files to be out of their reach (ie, dumb args like Lanza/Wipeout/etc) so they learn the fundamentals of debate first before learning how to troll.  The varsity on our team share evidence with each other, and there's not really a whole lot of "guarding" happening amongst them.  Generally, the JV and novice debaters have access to 80% of the ev that varsity has access to.

The HS I coach has a team-wide dropbox that everyone has access to, and a varsity dropbox that only experienced debaters have access to.  This is to ensure that our JV and novice debaters do not break strategies that varsity is planning to break in important debates, and because we want some files to be out of their reach (ie, dumb args like Lanza/Wipeout/etc) so they learn the fundamentals of debate first before learning how to troll.  The varsity on our team share evidence with each other, and there's not really a whole lot of "guarding" happening amongst them.  Generally, the JV and novice debaters have access to 80% of the ev that varsity has access to.

ie. Data aff varsity vs. Natives everyone else?

Edit: nevermind, I know what Lanza is.

edit: 2 of your varsity debaters tried to convince me they were in a 4 person team with 2 of your JV debaters.

edit edit: Also, did you buy the thursday file, or just cut really recent politics uq answers? (for metros)

ie. Data aff varsity vs. Natives everyone else?

That'd be an example, but we stopped reading that data aff after WACFL 3.  It was a thing for 2 tournaments but our varsity broke a bunch of different affs by the end of the year.  But yes, JV/Novice was mostly restricted native roads early in the year (with a few exceptions), and ports during the end of the year.

That'd be an example, but we stopped reading that data aff after WACFL 3.  It was a thing for 2 tournaments but our varsity broke a bunch of different affs by the end of the year.  But yes, JV/Novice was mostly restricted native roads early in the year (with a few exceptions), and ports during the end of the year.

I just realized that I've only hit TJ thrice (I think) and all times they were aff. Do they run any Ks on neg? (I'm not like scouting, my season's over, just curiosity)

Miro it's not that territorial. That's only you :P. that's why I have a Christmas presents folder

Meh, you guys used to all cruise on my HSR blocks.

Edit: Not that I don't cruise on your Nietzsche blocks. With my 0% win rate on them.

Twice, and I went for it once. And lost.

I just realized that I've only hit TJ thrice (I think) and all times they were aff. Do they run any Ks on neg? (I'm not like scouting, my season's over, just curiosity)

The varsity do regularly, yes.  JV and novice seldom do.

Most squads entrust their evidence to Chunkry. Please, all cross-x users promptly forward all their teams' evidence to chunkryswagger AT gmail for safekeeping.

Have people actually cut his book yet, or are you just referring to the popular cards about the nonexistence of death? The book looks crazy, and his blog definitely is. http://www.robertlanza.com/judgement-day-is-coming-science-suggests-justice-is-inescapable/

I have not read his book, I was just casually referring to the popular cards about consciousness continuing after disembodiment.  I suspect the book probably has not been widely cut yet (except by some big Lanza enthusiasts in the community)

• Upvote 1

Heh.

On topic, our team has a collective dropbox but I have two personal ones (one that is strictly my own, comprised off backfiles and WIPs, and a virtual bin shared by my partner and I). I recently gave access to my other bin to my b team for the state tournament. I don't feel territorial about anything perse (our team is pretty open), my bin is just filled with only kritikal evidence that isn't of use to most of the team and probably should stay out of reach to the other novice members. I am partially concerned about teammates trading my evidence (both homecut and collected) which is a partial reason why I don't actively share it (although I don't think anyone on my team is an active member of CX or whatever), however I see no reason for teams to consolidate and collect their "own" files. It probably just depends on the team dynamic

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well i've noticed a lot of people say that they want to keep Ks out of hands of novices. I'm not sure about you guys, but on my team, no newbies want to run Ks at all. They've never asked for one, and the ones we do provide (ie cap) aren't used in rounds. Who are these novices who steal complicated Ks and run them?

• Upvote 1