BwO

Debate Timer For Mac

If you're a Mac user...I feel your pain. There's no Synergy timer for you on the computer. :(

So I was hella bored this spring break and wrote a Java debate timer that works on both Mac and PC (although I doubt this is anywhere near Synergy's).

If you're interested, you can download it here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1270188/Debate%20Timer%200.1.jar

Keep in mind that this was programmed in 2 days, so there are probably bugs. Feel free to post them here!

• Upvote 6

Maybe you could add something so you could change the amount of prep time?

If you're a Mac user...I feel your pain. There's no Synergy timer for you on the computer. :(

So I was hella bored this spring break and wrote a Java debate timer that works on both Mac and PC (although I doubt this is anywhere near Synergy's).

If you're interested, you can download it here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1270188/Debate%20Timer%200.1.jar

Keep in mind that this was programmed in 2 days, so there are probably bugs. Feel free to post them here!

Thank you so much!! This is going to be really useful for me. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The funny thing is that this is pretty much exactly the same timer program that came out in 2002 or 2003 minus the red/green colors. :) 

Good job. I find mac users dualbooting just for debate to be a waste of time, money, etc. This helps people not do such silly things. Instead, make a new "debate profile", empty the dock of all things and drag your debate tub folders into the dock to make stacks. Set the stacks to show "List view".

Finally, learn Command + ` is the "alt + tab" for OS X between application windows. A lot of complaints are that Command + Tab only cycles between applications and not individual windows. That's because Command + ` cycles between the multiple Word documents opened, instead.

Not bad java-based port, now try to replicate this Debate Synergy 2 timer in a Mac .dmg file. I would not use a google library for the stopwatch, but instead base it off the text displayed in the user system, like in this source code. This is an important bug to fix because you need to run a async threaded loop on 10ths of a second and measure against changes in the user system time, as opposed to using an internal variable because the way you have a thread sleep and the general nature of a bloated language like Java on slower CPUs means that there's uncounted milliseconds it takes to process your code on each loop so your timer will be off by a few  seconds which is crucially embarrassing in a round where the other team uses a handheld timer. This was a bug in the early version of the Synergy timer as well, and it caused many problems until it was fixed

• Upvote 1