ButteredMuffin

Coach For Northern Virginia Team

I'm Colin Dailey. I'm a policy debater at George Mason University, going to be a sophomore next school year. I also debated 3 years in high school. I can coach for teams in the area (card cutting, argument building, etc etc). I can travel to tournaments if it doesn't interfere with my tournament schedule. I've been reasonably successful this past year. I have experience with both policy and critical debate.

I can be hired for teams outside of the area, but traveling to tournaments would probably be out of the question in that scenario.

Send me a message if you're interested in discussing rates/whether I fit your team's needs or email me at colind525@gmail.com

As per the other thread, Potomac School seems relatively close to your area and in need of a coach (they seem to be a private school of sorts so I think they have the means to pay well). I would try contacting that guy, I would love to see another school in the area get a Policy team started.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I hit them, and I think you're right. They were getting tips from a broad run coach before the round x) (btw this is not meant as offense to brhs.)

Just coaching, or could you also do judging?

And judging.

As per the other thread, Potomac School seems relatively close to your area and in need of a coach (they seem to be a private school of sorts so I think they have the means to pay well). I would try contacting that guy, I would love to see another school in the area get a Policy team started.

My impression was that they were looking for a teacher/coach

Yeah I go to Harrisonburg.

That's what it seemed like as well, but I think they would understand why a policy team would need a separate coach. Thomas Jefferson, for example, hired Shree this year as their policy specific coach. I think it's worth a shot to see if they're interested in a policy specific one if they heard reasons why it needs one.

Yeah I go to Harrisonburg.

That's what it seemed like as well, but I think they would understand why a policy team would need a separate coach. Thomas Jefferson, for example, hired Shree this year as their policy specific coach. I think it's worth a shot to see if they're interested in a policy specific one if they heard reasons why it needs one.

Is he the coach who cut the aff that they all broke in metros?

Edit: Offshore Port Security

TJ also seems to have a growing program (most seem to be in jv/novice as opposed to varsity)

Edit: I also hit potomac, the team I knew what they were doing (Social Ecology K, China Steel, China Fund CP.. not that we linked tho)

What aff did they break at metros? He's cut and given them most everything they have (in their defense they do a large amount of card cutting but Shree is the mastermind behind most of the regular, cheap shot and kritikal strats). I mean I think they cut that aff themselves for all I know but he cut them their annoying ass data aff.

They've been doing well this year and will probably be better when they stop cruising on Shree's blocks.

I've never hit Potomac and don't know anything about them.

What aff did they break at metros? He's cut and given them most everything they have (in their defense they do a large amount of card cutting but Shree is the mastermind behind most of the regular, cheap shot and kritikal strats). I mean I think they cut that aff themselves for all I know but he cut them their annoying ass data aff.

They've been doing well this year and will probably be better when they stop cruising on Shree's blocks.

I've never hit Potomac and don't know anything about them.

TJ broke offshore port security, the only advantage was about sex trafficking and how you had a moral imperative to do plan.  All the JV teams were running natives previous to that...

Edit: Also, data aff?

I know our varsity team hit Data as a framework in semis, but they were aff that round.

As the current coach of Potomac School, I should clarify:

We've been doing LD/PF for a bit, and we just started policy this year (just the one team so far). We're not looking for a separate policy coach. I'm leaving, so we need someone who can help LDers, PFers, and CXers. See here for more details.

Glad to know my kids knew what they were doing. Would hope so! If anyone's curious, I wrote a policy textbook.

Yeah when I hit you're team they ran NIB cp with no NB, but their Econ da was really good. Bond markets, I think it was? And they were the first people to actually answer our space col advantage instead of just skipping over it.

My humble suggestion (and I know that this is ultimately a budget/school board question) is that you hire a seperate, college debater/part time coach like Collin for policy debate. Because policy is a lot more time consuming and inwardly-focused, it helps to have a coach with specific background in it and is willing to dedicate more time to them. Our team has a JMU coach specifically for policy and it has helped us immensely.

Debate in Virginia has been steadily regaining it's stance over the past two years alone and I hope to see it grow more before I leave, I really hope you find a good coach for your team.

Yeah that sounds like TJ. Shree likes to make arguments that are more strategically viable than others partially to give his debaters an edge that they lack in previous experience (not knocking any of them, but it's without a doubt that Data was by far the squirreliest thing to happen in east coast debate). The Mortal Kombat K is good and I've cut it myself before he gave it to TJ.

I think I hit your varsity team with a stock issues judge at the broad run invite. They were running bikes and since we only read Ks and had a stock issues judge we went for taoism and the judge picked them up on something arbitrary.

• Upvote 1

I think I hit your varsity team with a stock issues judge at the broad run invite. They were running bikes and since we only read Ks and had a stock issues judge we went for taoism and the judge picked them up on something arbitrary.

That would be them (they were twins, right?).. did they have any blocks to taoism? (I know they do know)

Also, explain the "data" aff... I thought it was a framework/solvency takeout argument.

That would be them (they were twins, right?).. did they have any blocks to taoism? (I know they do know)

Also, explain the "data" aff... I thought it was a framework/solvency takeout argument.

Data isn't an aff, what they say is that our data of evidence that we use doesn't meet the three standards of Quantum Assessment, large sample size, and numerical trials (I know this because I hit them ;yesterday) and they run it as a gateway issue meaning you have to meet their standards before you can talk about anything else in the round.  Atleast that's the way I think about it.

That's what I thought too... that's why I'm confused by this:

their annoying ass data aff.

That's what I thought too... that's why I'm confused by this:

Miro, Rahul:  We primarily read the argument on the neg, but it has also made a debut as an aff framework.  During JMU, WACFL 3, and Pennsbury, TJ read a HSR aff with a strong data contention.  The only advantage was global warming and all evidence met the criteria--we said neg evidence had to meet that criteria as well.  We have read several different affs since then.

Edited by shreethebsmaster
  • Upvote 1

Also, not to detract from the original thread-- Colin Dailey is a boss.  I've judged him some, he is good at debate.  You should consider hiring him.

Have you judge me? Or did you judge @ WACFL metros?

Not sure if I've judged you personally.  I judged at Metros and am TJ's policy coach.