ktg9616

Nuclear Waste Affs

Their has been an abundance of nuclear waste transportation affs on the wiki lately (Ex: GBN's Spent Fuel aff and the Yucca Mountain aff)- could someone explain to me what these affs are about and how they're justified as topical?

They probably interpret the topic as transportation infrastructure has to move goods OR people. They are moving goods, which in this case is nuclear waste. 

I don't really know much about the affs but I shall see if i can get back to you on that

I hit the Yucca mountain aff. The plan declares Yucca Mountain as the "national permanent geological repository for the disposal of nuclear waste ". Then they build trains and whatnot to transport the nuclear waste there. 

They still build transportation infrastructure, but you can always argue Extra T, because the aff relies on the declaration of Yucca mountain as the official waste dumping site. I think States or China FDI are good CPs to run. If all it is is building railroads, I don't see why someone else can't do it. 

They probably interpret the topic as transportation infrastructure has to move goods OR people. They are moving goods, which in this case is nuclear waste. 

That's a pretty broad interpretation. If even nuclear waste can be considered a good - and thus the movement of nuclear waste can be considered topical action - I don't see what ISN'T topical.

• Upvote 1

I ran this aff all year and I can probably answer a few questions.

1). Not all of the nuclear waste affs defend Yucca.  It is horribly insensitive to native Americans, due to it being built on native lands.  My partner and I often went for a 2ac add on (as offense to a k) that basically said, "We prevent waste from going to Yucca, prevents cultural genocide from occuring."  We could do this because we defended building an interim storage location.

2). We actually had a card that said that interim was transportation infrastructure due to the rails and such.  We would also spin our aff off as a 'temporary stop' that facilitated the transportation to a final location.

3). Our natives add on (briefly explained above) answered the states counter-plan extremely well.  It came to a point where we were hoping teams would read it.  This was because we had cards saying if we left it to the states, they would build it on native lands.

4). I don't think the China fund CP is very effective because having china fund a operation moving nuclear waste that can be converted into weapons doesn't sound like a very good idea.  We also had cards indicating that Obama would stop Chinese involvement in America's nuclear idustry

With an aff like this, a china fund doesn't make it any less unpopular.  States/XO are both viable though.