nadiadaniela

What's A "counter Plan" ?

Yeah, it's a disad to the judges interpretation on ASPEC. Basically a subset of wilderson.

Just so we're clear, i debate on the same circuit as her and i know she knows what a CP is. It was a joke...

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

What counterplan are you commonly losing to?

A counterplan is just that, a counter to the plan. They are ran as a competitive option to the plan. CP's usually solve for part or all of the AFF without linking into another negative position- That's the Net Benefit (NB). CP's must have an NB.

There are various forms of counterplans (CP's).

-Advantage Cp's- solve for one advantage of the plan w/ out linking into something else, usually

-Pics- usually pretty abusive. It's like they "pick" out a part of the aff by altering a point or adding some restrictions

-Process- Goes through a process of some sort. Nepa comes to mind for me. oh yeah, they're also pretty abusive

-Actor- Someone else does the plan

-States- States do the plan instead of usfg

To answer them... STOP

-Solvency explain why CP fails or cannot solve in time (there is a problem that the CP does not address that plan does)

-Theory (Condo, Dispo, Pics Bad, etc.)

-Offense

-Perm it (Perm do both, Perm do CP, Perm do plan- cp fails, etc.)

(that spells stop)

maybe)- explain how it still links to the NB

• Upvote 1

PIC = Plan Inclusive Counterplan, by the way.

Like the executive order CP that's floating around (that my partner and I ran at state and won on, lol)

It says the president 'executive orders' the plan to happen - basically it's the aff plan + avoids politics and stuff so it can be stupid abusive

Also, CPs have statuses:

Conditional/Condo - The negative team can kick (or drop advocacy) of the CP at any time in the debate. Theory is run here - condo good, condo bad.. personally I see condo as abusive

Dispositional/Dispo - Mix between condo and uncondo. Neg can kick the CP if it meets enough resistance.

Unconditional/Uncondo/UC - Negative team won't kick the CP no matter what. 

I would suggest preparing theory, or at least be ready to prepare theory, for condo/dispo on why they're bad. I've never seen uncondo run before but I assume it can't really be made to seem like a  bad thing, lol.

Thanks everyone, that helped a lot! So could you bring up a counter plan on the affirmative side? Cause they seem to be better than the boring plan text

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Thanks everyone, that helped a lot! So could you bring up a counter plan on the affirmative side? Cause they seem to be better than the boring plan text

For sure, as long as it's topical

• Upvote 2

I have another question about debate: on the negative side, how do you kick on out of topicality?

You just have to make sure that you answer the RVIs because they can really screw you over if you don't (unfortunately, that's a true story and not a joke).

Reverse Voting Issue. "running t on a t aff is a voting issue." Or something equally stupid as that - like "they don't meet their standards so it's a VI on them" or something.

-Pics- usually pretty abusive.  It's like they take the Aff, but tack something else extra on it.  

while acknowledging this is a troll thread, i feel obliged to point out this is incorrect 

• Upvote 6

Yeah, it's a disad to the judges interpretation on ASPEC. Basically a subset of wilderson.

Just so we're clear, i debate on the same circuit as her and i know she knows what a CP is. It was a joke...

that's wrong.

lol, people answering a troll with legit answers..

It's good practice. No one wants to feed the troll, but on the Novice Center forum, trolling like this has its own intrinsic value because there are lots of younger debaters too afraid to make an account or too afraid to ask a question like "what is a CP".

essentially, in this instance, trolling and feeding the troll does good for the community and for education.

• Upvote 3

Now let's move to how to answer a Counterplan using tops

t - theory

o - offense/disads to the cp

p - permutations - tests of competition

s - solvency deficits - reasons why the cp can't solve the aff

theory and offense go 1st as independent reasons to reject the cp or team, then the rest is defense

For this poster, a counter plan is something people use when they're redoing their kitchen :).

ohhhh i get it, because a counter is the surface in most kitchens. And it's a plan for the counter.

joke, deconstructed 

• Upvote 2

ohhhh i get it, because a counter is the surface in most kitchens. And it's a plan for the counter.

joke, deconstructed 

Hahaha thanks, I thought he was high at first. Yeah... I don't get jokes :P 

^lol

Actually though, I like courts counter plan but it always kind of seems like bs, you know? Of course it links to politics! And the perm totally solves, just use all 3 branches.