ImpactTurn

Thank You Cross-X

My high school debate career just ended in the semi-finals of state, which is pretty good considering I've only done policy for two years. 

I would like to thank everyone that has given me advice, traded with me, and have given others advice for me to read, as I would not have had such a successful, enjoyable, and educational debate career without it. 

For those of you that are new to this site and reading this, take advantage of this site. This is honestly your best friend when you need quick advice, evidence, or even a bit of practice via a V-Debate. 

Also, those of you who post funny and interesting things on here, you guys deserve a thanks too. You make this site not ALL about work, but allow the more social, light-hearted, and slightly awkward part of debate to shine. 

Finally, thank you to those who regulate and run the site. All of the things I mentioned above would not have been made possible without it. 

This is actually one of the nicest and most welcoming posts I've ever seen. It should be stickied!

• Upvote 4

This is actually one of the nicest and most welcoming posts I've ever seen. It should be stickied!

agreed. This should be stickied as a thread with people saying nice stuff about cross-x. I was thinking (leaning towards not) about doing one of these posts when my career ends in a few weeks, and I think it would be nice if doing this sort of thing was more common. 

• Upvote 6

This should be stickied as a thread with people saying nice stuff about cross-x. I was thinking (leaning towards not) about doing one of these posts when my career ends in a few weeks, and I think it would be nice if doing this sort of thing was more common. 

i agree. And congrats to ImpactTurn

• Upvote 2

agreed. This should be stickied as a thread with people saying nice stuff about cross-x. I was thinking (leaning towards not) about doing one of these posts when my career ends in a few weeks, and I think it would be nice if doing this sort of thing was more common. 

I'm going to shamelessly bump this thread bc it's a great one and because i want to say some stuff, too. 

It's about a week late, but here it goes: My HS debate career ended last week in doubles of NDCA's. It was an ok career, and i'm almost certainly going to debate in college so it's not completely over. That being said, the cross-x community is a community that I think I owe a lot to, and I want to echo the things that ImpactTurn said. 

My first two years of high school, I spent a lot of time learning about debate from this website. I would collect tournament info from the pacific forum, I would revise and write strats against various AFF's based on what the forums would discuss, I would anticipate different arguments and strategies from threads, and I would practice on the VDebate forums. The past few years on cross-x have been educational, occasionally hilarious, and, mostly, full of horrible trolls, and, as I seem to slowly grow out of these forums, I seriously will miss it all. 

The thing that I really like the most about cross-x is that most of the people asking and answering questions on this forum care so much--about each other, about making sure other people learn, and about the activity of debate. Honestly, this is the most inspirational part of this forum, and i'm glad to be a part of it. There are numerous posters on this forum who don't have to give a shit about it, but still are willing to answer questions (some very intelligent, some dumb as fuck). There are tons of people on this forum who think so much about debate that they have questions about the activity, about people in the activity, about arguments, about life, and a space like cross-x that provides a space for these imaginations to be answered is pretty unique and special. Debate certainly is a home for me, for a lot of my friends, and for a lot of people on these forums, and I really think that this forum is one of the many ways that our community is able to become more open and welcoming. 

Thank you all. Keep asking, answering and discussing, because an inclusive forum that allows for those things to happen makes people feel welcome in this activity and this community. 

I'll probably keep posting occasionally, and I am still a mod, so this is not a goodbye post to these forums, just a thank-you as a chapter of my life ends. 

Liam

• Upvote 4

congratulations, i don't know you but i'm glad your experience in debate was awesome. Good luck in college. 

Another thing... At NDCA, you debated a Highland team from minnesota right? two girls? 

• Upvote 1

You're (un)welcome - all in a day's work for your friendly neighborhood Chunkry.

• Downvote 2