OldOkie

Anyone Encounter A Safe Routes To Schools Aff?

Heard an AFF read at a recent tournament based on the National Safe Routes to Schools program--builds sidewaks so kids can get to school.  Any NEG strat sugguestions for punching it out? 

i think sidewalks are up to city jurisdiction, so the USFG isn't needed or.. relevant?

also i'd say maybe that there are already "safe" sidewalks -- have them define safe because.. how can u make a sidewalk SAFE?

and is walking a part of transportation infrastructure? 

• Upvote 1

That aff sounds ableist.

edit: yeah this is super ableist:

from their website (http://www.saferoutesinfo.org/)

Improving children’s safety while walking and bicycling is a central mission of Safe Routes to School. And program benefits stretch beyond the school day.
SRTS resources & activities help communities:
Build sidewalks, bicycle paths & pedestrian-friendly infrastructure
Reduce speeds in school zones & neighborhoods
Address distracted driving among drivers of all ages
Educate generations on pedestrian & bicycle safety

What is Safe Routes to School?
Safe Routes to School (SRTS) programs are sustained efforts by parents, schools, community leaders and local, state, and federal governments to improve the health and well-being of children by enabling and encouraging them to walk and bicycle to school.

SRTS programs examine conditions around schools and conduct projects and activities that work to improve safety and accessibility, and reduce traffic and air pollution in the vicinity of schools. As a result, these programs help make bicycling and walking to school safer and more appealing transportation choices thus encouraging a healthy and active lifestyle from an early age.

• Upvote 1

...builds sidewaks so kids can get to school.  Any NEG strat sugguestions for punching it out? 

Why does the federal government need to build our local sidewalks? I feel like a States CP empirically solves.

Why does the federal government need to build our local sidewalks? I feel like a States CP empirically solves.

NB is gonna be hard though....

• Downvote 1

NB is gonna be hard though....

i know the aff always wins when the counterplan undoubtedly solves 100%of the case and there's a politics/spending/federalism net-benefit because the aff always wins 0% risk of a disad - it's sooo hard for the neg to win 1% risk of the DA

• Downvote 1

I'm thinking instead of like a states aff perhaps a cities aff, same principle, cities solve better, avoids like spending da or something.