Coconuts

Nfl Nationals Qual Help

So, districts for me will be coming up soon, and it will be open level. Only problem is that I'm currently a novice. Any recommendations for debating at the open level?

Someone else might want to correct me on this, but my thoughts are that the easiest way for a debater to get upsets is for that debater to consolidate to a very specific argument and to spend the entire debate arguing for that argument, just in different ways. For example, if you read a trade advantage, then in the 2AC rather than get flummoxed about answering DAs that they've got better prepped out than you, you should instead focus more on solid and easily arguments like "trade solves war" that prevent the block from exploiting you. You're probably not going to be good enough to beat the other teams on the line by line no matter what, but if you win one solid issue on each flow and blow its importance in the round up dramatically I think your odds of success will be much better.

As someone who just did this for district debates(in a state where novices couldn't run K/CP) i kinda know how ya feel.  Hopefully you've already done some tourneys on the advanced levels, is no, well, that kinda sux.  My solution was basically to make piles of blocks, kept me from panicking and i could just read that against common responses.  I'd ask varsity debaters for help from your school, the most important thing is too make sure you know your aff.  I was so pissed at my partner when in our first aff CX at districts(he's the 1A) he couldn't answer a single question and i knew the answer to all of them(and no tag-teaming where i am).  Neg's harder to adjust to imo, me and my partner wrote 1NCs for common affs(NIB, HSR etc.) and used a generic T+XO+immig+ random adv. answers for everything else.  I'd reccomend not runnning Ks.  They'll probably know it better than you will.  And make sure you have updated answers to tix(ask for help from varisty). Gud luck

Don't panic. We really don't know about how good you are, but whatever you do, don't panic. If you do, it will cost you rounds.

Try not to, thanks again.

The morning of, cut a few economy cards. Updated Econ cards will save you. 

Always do, I <3 cutting uniqueness.

Someone else might want to correct me on this, but my thoughts are that the easiest way for a debater to get upsets is for that debater to consolidate to a very specific argument and to spend the entire debate arguing for that argument, just in different ways. For example, if you read a trade advantage, then in the 2AC rather than get flummoxed about answering DAs that they've got better prepped out than you, you should instead focus more on solid and easily arguments like "trade solves war" that prevent the block from exploiting you. You're probably not going to be good enough to beat the other teams on the line by line no matter what, but if you win one solid issue on each flow and blow its importance in the round up dramatically I think your odds of success will be much better.

Thanks, knowing myself i'd focus on the da, fucked me at the last tournament.

As someone who just did this for district debates(in a state where novices couldn't run K/CP) i kinda know how ya feel.  Hopefully you've already done some tourneys on the advanced levels, is no, well, that kinda sux.  My solution was basically to make piles of blocks, kept me from panicking and i could just read that against common responses.  I'd ask varsity debaters for help from your school, the most important thing is too make sure you know your aff.  I was so pissed at my partner when in our first aff CX at districts(he's the 1A) he couldn't answer a single question and i knew the answer to all of them(and no tag-teaming where i am).  Neg's harder to adjust to imo, me and my partner wrote 1NCs for common affs(NIB, HSR etc.) and used a generic T+XO+immig+ random adv. answers for everything else.  I'd reccomend not runnning Ks.  They'll probably know it better than you will.  And make sure you have updated answers to tix(ask for help from varisty). Gud luck

I was considering doing a new aff but figured that was a bad idea. And thank for the K suggestion, I usually run Nietzsche at the novice level, but probably don't know it well enough for varsity. Not only that, but one of the team's I'll know I'll debate has seen me run it.