Sign in to follow this  
ZalmayKhalilzad

Adapting To Uil

So, I've been doing alot of TFA this year, and this has caused me to not prep for UIL judges.

What neg arguments should I prep out for UIL State (4A)?

Also, I run the Icebreakers aff, is that UIL friendly, or should I switch affs? I have a disabilities aff, but it's K and root cause heavy.  

If you run an aff, have simple advantages, and probably stop at the internal link - "I save the economy!" is more believable than "saving the economy saves the WORLD!" to a parent judge.

From my experience with UIL, they like policy affirmatives, no tolerance for kritiks or "far left" argument types. I'd not run the disabilities K aff. You'll see stuff like, spending, or industry/budget tradeoffs, simple things. I don't know how they feel about counterplans, but I'd probably stay away from PICs probably.

What school by the way?

My partner and I have had similar problems.  We mostly debate national circuit but have to do well at UIL too because it's what our school bases our program's funding off of.  Here's some things we've found helpful:

1. Simple, policy arguments.  Most UIL judges will be okay with big impacts, but if it's a parent judge, consider stopping at the internal link.

2. Lots of re-explaining your arguments.  This means more than just the regular warranted analysis you should always be doing.  You should read less cards in order to accomplish this.

3. A lot of judges at UIL define themselves as "stock issues judges."  This means you should be throwing out words like "stock issue" and "prima facia burden."  They like those sorts of things.

4. UIL judges typically don't view things in an offense-defense paradigm.  They weigh defensive arguments just as equally as offensive arguments, and are willing to vote for a team based solely on defensive arguments.  This is not to say that you should just go for defensive arguments obviously, but give analytic, defensive arguments a little more weight than you normally would.

5. Some UIL judges are baffled by the idea of the negative kicking out of positions and collapsing the debate down in the block/2NR.  A lot of them prefer that you have a small 1NC and extend everything in the 2NR (this is EXTREMELY annoying, and the opposite of what you should ever do in TFA or on the national circuit).

6. UIL judges typically have no idea how to evaluate theory arguments.  This includes topicality.  Obviously if the aff isn't remotely T, you should still say topicality - but only if it's blatantly obvious.

7. Almost everyone gets screwed over at least one round at UIL state.  Because of this, it's very important to focus on speaking in order to make sure you still clear even if you're 3-1.

8. The way they assign speaks at UIL state is super weird.  The ballot lists six categories with rankings of 1 through 5 for each category, and the total of those categories is the amount of speaks you get.  This means even if you get a 4 in every category, you only get a 24 for the round.  It's ridiculous.

9. We generally try to stick with a disad-case strategy.  Once in a while we'll read a counterplan in front of UIL judges, but a lot of times they have no idea how to evaluate them.  I've gotten the comment "I wanted to vote negative, but the counterplan isn't topical" written on a ballot before.  Of course there will be a lot that are great for counterplans, but we generally like to play it safe.  We've found that the hardest part about UIL is simply that the judging is very unpredictable.

10. Consider numbering your 2AC blocks and 1NC case dumps.  This is actually something that's pretty useful even outside of UIL, I just notice that most of the time I only ever see UIL teams doing it.

11. Their idea of "speed" is radically different from yours.  A lot of them will say that they are "okay with speed," but when you get anywhere close to your top speed they'll stop flowing - even if you're perfectly clear.  We find it easiest to just talk at conversation speed regardless of what the judge says, unless they're a judge we know from other circuits.

12. Always be watching the judge.  They are usually very expressive and you can tell when they are liking an argument, getting it, or not understanding it.  This is helpful because it tells you which arguments to go for.

The biggest things to keep in mind are a.) it's important to adapt to the circuit and b.) UIL judging is unpredictable - don't let those losses that very clearly shouldn't have been losses get to you.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Would the disabilities aff be a good idea to run? And on neg, a 2NR overview going over each stock issue? 

Also, about my school....this account was created to be anonymous, but I will tell you we're 4A. 

I generally don't think it's a good idea to read critical affirmatives in front of the style of judges you're likely to see at UIL.

I don't think an overview of the stock issues is necessary, my point was just that, if they say they're a "stock issues judge" (which you're likely to see), make sure you talk about them in general.

The disabilities aff won't be kritikal, but more microlevel than the usual macrolevel. 

We'll say that we're helping the disabled because it's right, and that their extinction scenarios, logically, won't happen. 

The speaker points on UIL ballots have changed. You just get 20-30pts now. The rubric is gone although it says points should be based on Organization, Evidence, Analysis, Refutation, Speed of Delivery, and Oral Style. Each category is not individually assigned points though.

• Upvote 2

The speaker points on UIL ballots have changed. You just get 20-30pts now. The rubric is gone although it says points should be based on Organization, Evidence, Analysis, Refutation, Speed of Delivery, and Oral Style. Each category is not individually assigned points though.

For real?! That is like, the best thing ever.  Makes things a lot easier.

The disabilities aff won't be kritikal, but more microlevel than the usual macrolevel. 

We'll say that we're helping the disabled because it's right, and that their extinction scenarios, logically, won't happen. 

I think that this may be a good idea in front of parent judges, but you're unlikely to see parent judges at state.  The judging at UIL state is generally better than at regular UIL invitational tournaments, even though it's not the kind of judging people that debate on other circuits are used to.  I think most judges at UIL state will be used to or even expect big impacts.

This is great. No more 25 speaks just because of the scale. 

Will they want the old fashioned plan planks and harms/significance instead of advantages? 

It's possible depending on the judge.  At our NFL districts tournament we had judges that expected that, so we just sort of threw something together before a round and it ended up working out.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1