Schopenhauer

Round 552 - Schopenhauer (Aff) Vs. Cubes (Neg)

i'll be a round 2 judge also. i think heg is bad and plantexts are evil. have fun being Aff.

ok, i'm only mostly kidding. good luck guys!

• Upvote 3

CX (1NC up as soon as these are answered)

How many aircraft carriers does your plan approve funding for?

When will those carriers go into effect?

What is the purpose of the aircraft carriers?

What's the brink for your impacts?

Can you point me a line on each of your advantages showing me that brink?

What's the brink for Heg?

How deep will the current cuts go for the navy?

CX

1. How many aircraft carriers does your plan approve funding for?

Eaglen says we need to increase the number of carriers to 13. Cuts in the squo are bringing the number down to 9 or 10, so we would fund the creation of 3 or 4 carriers.

2. When will those carriers go into effect?

Once they’re built, the new ones will go into effect.

3. What is the purpose of the aircraft carriers?

To solve the impacts.

4. group questions 4-6

When we stop having the ability to use our naval force effectively, which happens when we loose our aircraft carriers, we would start to see the impacts. 

7. How deep will the current cuts go for the navy?

In the squo they will cut the number of carriers we have down to 9 or 10. 

Looks like we have four judges, so I suppose I'll make it five.

I was going to type up a paradigm, but mine would be virtually identical to Mr. Katz's, so just refer to his.

• Upvote 1

Looks like we have four judges, so I suppose I'll make it five.

I was going to type up a paradigm, but mine would be virtually identical to Mr. Dawgz's, so just refer to his.

Fixed

• Upvote 2

lol econ heg aff. I wonder what the 1nc will be

I actually decided not to impact turn today.

1nc order is 2 off, then case [what's labelled as collapse should be "Carrier Gap"], [Heg], [Deterrence], [Commerce]

Cross-x

1.     Your WIRED evidence says “In the next few months, the Navy will double its minesweeper craft stationed in Bahrain†If the navy is already going to increase its presence near Iran, how is your disad uniq?

2.     Your Washington times evidence from 2008 says that increased naval presence will cause US –Iran conflict, but your WIRED evidence from 2012 mentions how we recently sent more aircraft carriers to waters near Iran. Why haven’t we already seen the impact?

3.     What’s the impact for US-Iran war? Is it pretty much Iraq 2.0?

4.     How does presenting a plan to prevent nuclear war cause inaction?

5.     Why is fearing death bad?

6.     Where does your Cooley 11 evidence say that funding for aircraft carriers will inevitably end?

7.     Other than saying no other options are available on just the Persian gulf, where does your Gundun evidence say that Bahrain is the only port that could support our aircraft carriers?

8.     How does building a few more aircraft carriers boost the 5th fleet?

9.     How large would an attack on our naval forces be if we maintained the 5th fleet?

10.  If we have already experienced 2 attacks on our navy, one being the bombing of the USS Cole in 2000 and the other being in 2008 when 5 Iranian speedboats attacked US vessels, as stated in your GRESH 10 evidence, why haven’t we seen a breakdown of Maritime security?

11.  Your de Castro 2 evidence says “the Arab public scrutinizes every action taken by the United States.†Why does removing our naval presence solve for terror incited by the US?

12.  Your second de Castro card talks about how reducing US presence on Arab soil will solve backlash. How does building aircraft carriers increase US presence on Arab soil?

13.  How do you suggest we measure naval power?

14.  [Rumbaugh 12]Why doesn’t scrapping aircraft carriers affect naval power?

15.  How do aircraft carriers allow other nations to “catch up†to us?

16.  Your Drezner evidence says China isn’t ever going to catch up to the US militarily, but your Gady evidence gives China as an example of a country that would catch up to the US if we build more carriers. Which one is true?

17.  What is the Liberal International Order?

18.  Which statistics does your Fettweis evidence reference?

19.  What do you mean by, The US can’t make credible threats?

20.  What reason does Goldstone give that economic nationalism will kill trade?

awww i wanted to see a terror k

well parker established in the last vdebate that Ks are cheating utopian arguments that destroy education, and he also won the debate. probably a true thing.

• Upvote 3

Cross-x

1.     Your WIRED evidence says “In the next few months, the Navy will double its minesweeper craft stationed in Bahrain†If the navy is already going to increase its presence near Iran, how is your disad uniq?

This disad is (as a lot of the turns are) predicated mostly off of your carrier gap contention, if carriers fail like you say they will, then we will be unable to force power projection in the region, but if we keep up our funding we'll keep pressuring iran.

2.     Your Washington times evidence from 2008 says that increased naval presence will cause US –Iran conflict, but your WIRED evidence from 2012 mentions how we recently sent more aircraft carriers to waters near Iran. Why haven’t we already seen the impact?

Wired is talking about if a plan goes through. We haven't seen a squo increase in the fifth fleet.

3.     What’s the impact for US-Iran war? Is it pretty much Iraq 2.0?

We won't defend a nuclear war, but we will defend a similar situation to Iraq or afghanistan, where we overstretch our troops and lose many lives and much money in a war we should not be fighting.

4.     How does presenting a plan to prevent nuclear war cause inaction?

You framing nuclear war as such a bad thing causes public inaction. Additionally if they think that one plan like carriers solves this horrible thing then there will be no nonproliferation action in the public.

5.     Why is fearing death bad?

That also feeds into the inaction -- when we are so afraid of something that we block it out mentally as something so unovercomable and so drastic then we won't ever be able to spark public movements to stop prolif or stop nuclear war.

6.     Where does your Cooley 11 evidence say that funding for aircraft carriers will inevitably end?

Cooley doesn't make that argument. We're talking about the ultimate impact, that the fleet won't be able to project power because they have nowhere to go -- we'll get kicked out of Bahrain and then we won't be able to station anywhere. There will still be funding, but the carriers will be useless.

7.     Other than saying no other options are available on just the Persian gulf, where does your Gundun evidence say that Bahrain is the only port that could support our aircraft carriers?

Gundun is talking primarily about the fifth fleet, but I'll assume that most of your advantages are as well. Sure we may have carriers in other parts of the world, but the middle east fleets are probably the internals to the majority of your advantages.

8.     How does building a few more aircraft carriers boost the 5th fleet?

Any kind of increase in aircraft carriers goes to the fifth fleet -- first they'll open up space for more to go elsewhere even if not stationed there, also a lot of your authors probably talk about that area as a key internal to your adv.s

9.     How large would an attack on our naval forces be if we maintained the 5th fleet?

Big enough to make the fleet useless.

10.  If we have already experienced 2 attacks on our navy, one being the bombing of the USS Cole in 2000 and the other being in 2008 when 5 Iranian speedboats attacked US vessels, as stated in your GRESH 10 evidence, why haven’t we seen a breakdown of Maritime security?

Those are just precursors. As our fleet gets bigger our ev indicates that the attacks will get worse.

11.  Your de Castro 2 evidence says “the Arab public scrutinizes every action taken by the United States.†Why does removing our naval presence solve for terror incited by the US?

Not entirely does it solve, there will always be people criticizing us, but its such a large symbol of US influence, and reducing our troops there would be a positive.

12.  Your second de Castro card talks about how reducing US presence on Arab soil will solve backlash. How does building aircraft carriers increase US presence on Arab soil?

That's not what he says, he's saying that we won't have to have presence on the soil if the other countries build a coalition, you're just misreading that part of the card.

13.  How do you suggest we measure naval power?

how we strategically use our assets, wheree we place them, and how powerful each ship is. Your 1AC is predicated off of keeping 10 ships rather than 11, and this is a bad metric because you're thinking suggests we measure by number of carriers and not moderinization. Our ev about how other countries are building ways to take out aircraft carriers works here as well -- we should shift away from having a bunch of old fashioned aircraft carriers and to having a more moderinized force.

14.  [Rumbaugh 12]Why doesn’t scrapping aircraft carriers affect naval power?

Dude, your Scarborough card says we're just scrapping one aircraft carrier (or at most two within five years), and this is the point that Rumbaugh makes, it's just one ship, it's not that big a deal, get over it. We're just shifting due to new times and new technology, and some things get cut.

15.  How do aircraft carriers allow other nations to “catch up†to us?

Yay thanks for the extra time to explain warrants. As Gady states, carriers are actually really terrible in a changing world. As we phase into a new technological arena we're going to have to make sacrifices, especially where we're the most vulnerable (aircraft carriers as Gady says, as China has developed new technology to take them on). And as Rumbaugh says, we're cutting carriers in the squo by a minute amount to make room for new methods, like the ones Gady talks about. If we keep fighting last years war, then we will lose our ability to keep control of heg. Now the squo is a move towards a more techonologically advanced military, and the aff is a turn back to the old. 

16.  Your Drezner evidence says China isn’t ever going to catch up to the US militarily, but your Gady evidence gives China as an example of a country that would catch up to the US if we build more carriers. Which one is true?

It's a double bind -- either power can be decreased enough to lose heg, or it's inevitable. The argument your 1AC makes is that we're on a brink, Gady doesn't make that argument, he just says that if we can lose heg then carriers are a shitty idea because they are susceptible to new technology while other methods are not. This comes into play on heg only if you win that heg does have the ability to decline. Gady acts as a turn to your case as well, because your carriers will just get blown up, meaning things just get worse and worse.

17.  What is the Liberal International Order?

Well it shouldn't be capitalized, it's not a concrete thing  it's just a general movement against war and for democracy, its against any kind of non centered anarchic system.

18.  Which statistics does your Fettweis evidence reference?

Meh that wasn't tagged properly, I'll need to go fix that for next time -- it's just empirics that prove that.

19.  What do you mean by, The US can’t make credible threats?

Other nations see us as a paper tiger, we can't legally follow through with the threats I make.

20.  What reason does Goldstone give that economic nationalism will kill trade?

Just any kind of interdependence won't succeed.

well parker established in the last vdebate that Ks are cheating utopian arguments that destroy education, and he also won the debate. probably a true thing.

The last two vDebates actually, won both.