mhostetter

Winning Lay Judges?

I seem to have trouble winning over lay judges when my opponents are both guys. I don't know why; perhaps the way i speak? or maybe i just suck... Does anyone have any suggestions on how to a) improve my speaking (w/o spreading) or B) improve my strategy? I had to teach myself CX b/c my coach doesn't understand it, so help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!!!

With lay judges, spending.  Lots of spending DAs.  Also don't fidget while you speak( I don't know if you do, but i do a lot) don't say uh.., be nice to your opponents, and sometimes stop at internal links(don't say econ decline=>war, just say OMG THE PLAN SAVES THE ECONOMY and some lay judges don't care if that leads to war or not).  Obviously don't do Ks, do only simple CPs, and only run T when there's a clear in-round abuse story

• Upvote 4

no terrorism k ;)

Ironically, i feel like a terror K might be one a lay judge would be able to understand.  Especially if they voted for obama ;)

I seem to have trouble winning over lay judges when my opponents are both guys. I don't know why; perhaps the way i speak? or maybe i just suck... Does anyone have any suggestions on how to a) improve my speaking (w/o spreading) or B) improve my strategy? I had to teach myself CX b/c my coach doesn't understand it, so help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!!!

The best advice I can give for lay rounds is to not adhere to the traditional structure of Policy Debate. I had a lot of trouble winning lay judges' ballots for a season or two because I was too focused on the line-by-line; eventually, I learned to step back, focus on the big picture, and speak persuasively. Think of it this way: instead of intently focusing on your flows and giving the speech you're used to giving, pretend like you're giving an oration. Remember, the judge's preconceived notion of Policy Debate is probably (as the documentary Resolved puts it) "a clean-cut boy in a blazer speaking eloquently and persuasively", so the judge is likely weighing presentation and argumentation roughly equally. And as mentioned before, do your best to keep your impacts to a level the judge can relate to (I've found that impacting Warming out to disease outbreaks, for instance, can be quite helpful).

• Upvote 1

Lay judges aren't looking to judge an entire debate. There will be one or two sets of arguments that they're following and understanding well. Perhaps it is something they have a personal investment in. Most of the time, you can see it on their face or observe their flowing or note-taking habits... if they're writing something down more in one part of the debate, that's the argument you need to win.

Also, you should lie, cheat, and steal, but be charming while doing so. They don't know the game, so why confine yourself to the rules?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Agreed with rjk. Don't treat 1ar like it needs to cover the entire block. They don't know that rebuttals shouldn't have new arguments, so you can bring up new responses in 2ar

Scumbaggy? Yes

Winning strat? Yes

Don't treat 1ar like it needs to cover the entire block.

This. I gave several crappy lay 1ARs this year because I tried to go line-by-line after the neg read a bunch of new arguments (and even new off-case) in the block and ran out of time.