Miro

Brainstorming For Cases

There are also going to be lots of FX-T debates about whether getting something in return is FXT or not...

I don't see how that would make an aff FX-T as long as the process of getting something in return didn't result in the engagement toward target country.

As for cases, I was thinking of something along the lines of trying to expand NAFTA (to possibly include Venezuela, if that's possible, or to increase trade with Mexico), but it's not a clear enough picture in my mind yet.

Expanding NAFTA makes Mexico vulnerable to inevitable US coercion

Starr ’12 (Pamela, October 6, Director, U.S.-Mexico Network Associate Professor (NTT) University Fellow, Center on Public Diplomacy University of Southern California, “U.S.-Mexico Relations and Mexican Domestic Politicsâ€)

The conventional wisdom, especially among Mexicans, was that these expanded bilateral ties and especially of the North American Free Trade Agreement[NAFTA] would increase Mexican vulnerability to U.S. influence by deepening Mexico’s economic dependence on its powerful northern neighbor.[1] It seemed inevitable that U.S. politicians would increase their meddling in Mexican affairs because developments in Mexico were now a factor in dealing with a series of U.S. domestic policy concerns. Mexico’s growing reliance on trade and investment flows with the United States, meanwhile, would create more power to coerce Mexico to comply with U.S. policy demands. Indeed, recent history seemed to prove the validity of this conclusion. The United States interrupted cross-border trade to compel Mexico to “cooperate†with U.S. narcotics control policies in 1985, and the following year the U.S. Congress authorized the infamous certification program that threatened Mexico and other foreign governments with economic sanctions for failing to cooperate with U.S. drug policy. Also during the mid-1980s, a wide range of U.S. actors abandoned their traditional self-restraint and began openly criticizing authoritarian features, inefficiency, and corruption in the Mexican government. Some U.S. officials even proposed the use of economic coercion to force Mexico to abandon its proposal for a regional peace treaty in Central America.

There are also going to be lots of FX-T debates about whether getting something in return is FXT or not...

Yeah I don't think this is a FX issue (echoing spacehack).  It's just a topicality issue:  Is economic engagement quid pro quo, or not quid pro quo?  

Yeah I don't think this is a FX issue (echoing spacehack).  It's just a topicality issue:  Is economic engagement quid pro quo, or not quid pro quo?  

When I said FX-T, I really mean Xtra-T. However, things like adding mexico to a pact or making a pact with mexico could be considered FX-T.

• Upvote 1

Does anyone have any idea on a military aff for next year. I have been looking around but i havent found that much.

I have a lot of ironic military affs for next year in mind but nothing serious.

I was thinking somewhere along the lines of mexico's navy like something to do with the gulf of mexico to prevent terrorism of oil. I have found some pretty good cards on oil terrorism specifically in the gulf of mexico but i havent really got an idea for an aff for it.

I was thinking about a Relations Aff for next year. Relations between Venezuela and US is a pretty big issue right now. Right now Venezuela is opening up to the US a lot more and both countries are taking major steps in order to form an effective relation to replace the broken relation brought on by Chavez. There are a bunch of recent articles talking about new relations between Venezuela and US. 

-Possible Advantages: Econ, Oil, Heg, Military(w/ a panama canal scenario)/Naval Bases, Counter terrorism and Counter narcotics

-Inherency and Solvency should be pretty easy to find

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2013/06/11/Venezuela-sees-normal-US-relations-this-year/UPI-72141370932200/

http://www.ipsnews.net/2013/06/analysts-say-oil-could-help-mend-u-s-venezuela-relations/

http://dissidentvoice.org/2010/01/u-s-venezuelan-relations-imperialism-and-revolution/

I was thinking about a Relations Aff for next year. Relations between Venezuela and US is a pretty big issue right now. Right now Venezuela is opening up to the US a lot more and both countries are taking major steps in order to form an effective relation to replace the broken relation brought on by Chavez. There are a bunch of recent articles talking about new relations between Venezuela and US. 

-Possible Advantages: Econ, Oil, Heg, Military(w/ a panama canal scenario)/Naval Bases, Counter terrorism and Counter narcotics

-Inherency and Solvency should be pretty easy to find

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2013/06/11/Venezuela-sees-normal-US-relations-this-year/UPI-72141370932200/

http://www.ipsnews.net/2013/06/analysts-say-oil-could-help-mend-u-s-venezuela-relations/

http://dissidentvoice.org/2010/01/u-s-venezuelan-relations-imperialism-and-revolution/

"Increase relations" is not a plan, it's an abuse of fiat similar to "decrease the risk of war with".

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

"Increase relations" is not a plan, it's an abuse of fiat similar to "decrease the risk of war with".

You are not "increasing relations"....you are essentially just making the relations stronger by engaging with Venezuela.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Unless you specify what form that engagement takes, it's still not a plan. Relations advantages are a good idea, but it's not a case all by itself because there has to be something connecting it to the resolution.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Unless you specify what form that engagement takes, it's still not a plan. Relations advantages are a good idea, but it's not a case all by itself because there has to be something connecting it to the resolution.

Yeah, there are some articles  that i found that specify the form of engagement. It has potential, it just has to be really specific which could be a problem. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was thinking about a Relations Aff for next year.

This seems like a toolbox add-on advantage to any negotiation that will likely end well (ie their aren't good link turns to).

If your aff was a US concession to Venezuela, or whatever country....I'm guessing that would increase relations.

Also a truely balanced approach---they REALLY get what they want and we REALLY get what we want. 

Yeah, there are some articles  that i found that specify the form of engagement. It has potential, it just has to be really specific which could be a problem. 

this is actually a really bad idea. the solvency would be non-existant, and I don't see how the hegemony advantage would even work - nor the military advantage. the oil advantage, maybe, but that's very generic and can easy flow to the neg with simple impact defense. for economy, I don't see how this can work without the internal link being from oil k2 economy. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

this is actually a really bad idea. the solvency would be non-existant, and I don't see how the hegemony advantage would even work - nor the military advantage. the oil advantage, maybe, but that's very generic and can easy flow to the neg with simple impact defense. for economy, I don't see how this can work without the internal link being from oil k2 economy. 

My Venezuela 1AC

• Upvote 2

I don't think that venezuelan oil is uniquely key to US's hegemony - considering larger countries that transport exist, such as russia or saudi arabia (http://puu.sh/3mwW2.png) who are much developed in the oil industry besides venezuela. 

and also I wasn't arguing against a venezuela oil aff case, but merely stating that an aff to do nothing but simply strengthen relations is a bad idea

I don't think that venezuelan oil is uniquely key to US's hegemony - considering larger countries that transport exist, such as russia or saudi arabia (http://puu.sh/3mwW2.png) who are much developed in the oil industry besides venezuela. 

It's precisely because Venezuelan oil isnt well developed that allows us to capitalize on it so much - they actually need outside assistance in sustaining their oil infrastructure, Saudi Arabia doesn't. 

Venezuela has the most oil in the world

Rowling 12

“Venezuela Passes Saudis to Hold World’s Biggest Oil Reserves†Rupert Rowling Jun 14, 2012 http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-06-13/venezuela-overtakes-saudis-for-largest-oil-reserves-bp-says-1-.html

Venezuela surpassed Saudi Arabia to become the world’s largest holder of proven oil reserves, a resource that President Hugo Chavez promises to tap if he gets re-elected in October. The South American country’s deposits were at 296.5 billion barrels at the end of last year, data from BP Plc (BP/) show. Saudi Arabia held 265.4 billion barrels, BP said yesterday in its annual Statistical Review of World Energy. The 2010 estimate for Venezuela increased from 211.2 billion in the previous report. “These reserves are quantified and certified by third parties and recognized by the entire world as being the biggest proven reserves of the world,†Venezuela’s Oil Minister Rafael Ramirez said today in Vienna. “We have always said that in the future the natural resources will become scarce and when the economy recovers and demand will come back then we will be one of the few countries able to respond to that.â€