Miro

Brainstorming For Cases

Hey thought we could brainstorm on case ideas

Also, first post in this subforum!

Edit: Here are some of my ideas

Obviously, cuban embargo is going to be a big case area,

I don't know what the military-style affs are going to look like (maybe enter into a military pact with one of the above countries)

Opening up the border is going to be one for Mexico (immigration in general might be a hot topic)

Obviously there is going to be lots of opportunity for kritikal affirmatives

Maybe financing rebel groups? There might be a couple affs about drugs etc. (satire and non-satire)

Legalize Weed have mexico supply it, solves for Drug Cartels? and econ for sure. Maybe ports could make a return as well, if they go into Panama only or something like that. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Quick question:  For the economic engagement, is that investing in a tangible plan (funding a new fed plan, provide funds to clean mexico's water)? or is it more along the lines of intangible things (ie: ending embargo, raise prices on xyz, raise trade barriers)

:P nice thread Miro. Venezuelan oil is going to be a big thing as well. Maybe even some NAFTA stuff?

Is there any decent definition of economic engagement?  That would seem to direct research & brainstorming in a much more effective way.

For instance........can you be pro free trade OR anti-free trade?  Or maybe somewhere in the middle? (managed trade or trade blocks)  It would seem this is probably the big choice the aff gets to make with whichever aff they chose.   

You might choose to check out this to see what out status quo policy is with respect to topic countries: 

http://www.ustr.gov/countries-regions/americas

Here is a super-quick list of status quo investment/development projects in the region:

http://www.ustda.gov/program/regions/lac/

For instance in Mexico we are doing the following 2 policies:

Mexico

CFE Environmental Management Project – A $640,500 technical assistance grant is assisting the Federal Electricity Commission (CFE) in developing an environmental remediation program for its decommissioned facilities. The objective of the technical assistance is to support CFE in determining environmental, health, and safety guidelines for decommissioning, dismantling and retrofitting closed power plants and substations.

SCT Multimodal National Plan – A $1,323,900 technical assistance grant to Mexico's Secretary of Communications and Transportation (SCT) is helping to develop a comprehensive national plan to modernize Mexico's multimodal trade transportation infrastructure. Implementation of this project will strengthen Mexican competitiveness through targeted investments in vital trade transportation links that will create greater commercial efficiencies and lower costs along the supply chain.

Here's more policy with respect to Latin America according to the State Department: 

http://www.state.gov/p/wha/rt/index.htm

• Upvote 1

Expanding NAFTA to be N(and south)AFTA could be useful, and squeeze in those other countries!

I was thinking maybe supporting specific industries in countries (e.g. VW in Mexico, cigars in cuba, etc.)  It's not flushed out at all yet and the two I've mentioned are really vulnerable (VW=automobility), but its a thought.

• Upvote 1

PICs are obviously going to be huge. If you run some big aff such as ending Cuban embargo, people will just PIC out of one specific good or something then have tons of offense as to why that good is bad. That's why I think the best idea is to go SUPER small. Maybe just end the embargo on one specific item for example. That way you'll always be able to defend your action is good and people will have alot less offense.

• Upvote 2

I run icebreakers currently and I think it's interesting, but why would Venezuela need icebreakers? Aren't their waters on the Carribean sea? Not to mention they're right by the equator.

Seems like a stretch, but it could work.

Maybe put icebreakers and nafta together?

Science diplomacy would be amazing with this topic too.

Nonetheless... I LOVE icebreakers!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What about on the kritikal side? (Policy maybe, but with kritikal advantages)

Maybe borders bad type things, 

I feel like economic engagement could be defined such that an embargo would actually be considered "economic engagement" in the sense that we are engaging an enemy on the economic battlefield.

• Upvote 1

What do you guys think of military affs on this topic I can see how they can work out- any suggestions? also can you clarify on the icebreakers aff it seems like a good idea but I see a big research burden for that.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Work cooperatively with X countries to deploy cyborgs(i know someone who has been running a cyborg aff for the last 2 years)

• Upvote 1

The US should substantially increase its economic engagement with Mexico, Venezuela, or Cuba by invading and conquering (X Nation) and incorporating it into our economy.

Mostly topical military aff.

• Upvote 1

PICs are obviously going to be huge. If you run some big aff such as ending Cuban embargo, people will just PIC out of one specific good or something then have tons of offense as to why that good is bad. That's why I think the best idea is to go SUPER small. Maybe just end the embargo on one specific item for example. That way you'll always be able to defend your action is good and people will have alot less offense.

Tourism. Right there.

Edited by David

People still ran NIB.. you just have to have super good pics bad, perm theory

Narcotics DA+ Consult Brazil CP

I feel that next years topic will have alot of neg ground. Think about all the da's and the consult CP's we can run. 

• Upvote 1