Sign in to follow this  
Latke

Biopower Links 2013-14

How hard do people think cases on this topic will link to biopower?  It seems like the link ground for biopower and cap are often somewhat similar, but I'm having trouble finding much about economic engagement. If anyone has thoughts on this it would be appreciated.  

I think the strongest links will always be discourse. The way they frame the round, and frame their problem/solution mindset will always link them. Furthermore, this sets you up to outweigh because you're saying hey, this biopower thing is real, it's happening in real life, in this room, not imaginary fiat land and you (the judge) have an obligation to take a stand. (cue alternative cards about genealogy) 

• Upvote 1

I think the strongest links will always be discourse. The way they frame the round, and frame their problem/solution mindset will always link them. Furthermore, this sets you up to outweigh because you're saying hey, this biopower thing is real, it's happening in real life, in this room, not imaginary fiat land and you (the judge) have an obligation to take a stand. (cue alternative cards about genealogy) 

I think that's where the Cap K suffers. It's not always handed to you. Now for biopower... That link is force fed to you. Teams get up, and quite literally engage in a form of power and knowledge production that is identical to that of sovereignty authorities around the world. 

(insert cards about real world impacts coming first)

Also I'm pretty sure increasing our "economic engagement" with other nations is probably "feeding the machine" so I don't think winning the link debate on cap will be hard either. A combination of generic "trade is capitalist" and case specific links while probably be sufficient as well.

So could these discourse links about the production of knowledge-power just come from backfiles?  If so, does anyone have a card or two they wouldn't mind sharing or just some cites?

• Upvote 1

I don't think using ultra-generic links is the best way to go with Foucault, particularly the alternative of genealogy is literally reading specific links. Empire will be a big K next year and I think the best Ks will blend Cap and Biopower together (essentially the Empire K in the first place), so a lot of the link level will be specific towards that. I think a lot of the ideas in the advantages about using engagement as a means of consolidating US sovereignty will be good and their discourse regarding the topical countries and its inhabitants (maybe bring back some College backfiles for the immigration topic)

I don't think using ultra-generic links is the best way to go with Foucault, particularly the alternative of genealogy is literally reading specific links. Empire will be a big K next year and I think the best Ks will blend Cap and Biopower together (essentially the Empire K in the first place), so a lot of the link level will be specific towards that. I think a lot of the ideas in the advantages about using engagement as a means of consolidating US sovereignty will be good and their discourse regarding the topical countries and its inhabitants (maybe bring back some College backfiles for the immigration topic)

Where could one find files or citations for the Empire K? I understand that Hardt and Negri have a few books out, but I'm not sure how the argument is used in debate, so I don't really know where to look.

I actually found some pretty good links now just based off of free trade and globalization.  It does blend biopower and cap a lot (since cap is just a form of biopower).