CX_Debater21

Uil State

These "state champ prediction" threads are stupid because all debaters are biased and it just ends up with people getting irritated with one another which is unneeded.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

These "state champ prediction" threads are stupid because all debaters are biased and it just ends up with people getting irritated with one another which is unneeded.

I completely disagree:

1) These threads are some of the only intel that debaters in the contest get about who is good and who isn't and at least gives them some idea about that.

2) Maybe the debaters are biased but: i)judges post on cross-x ii)former debaters and iii)coaches. So you're getting a wide array of views. 

• Upvote 3

I'd say in 2A White Oak has a pretty good chance. If I remember correctly last year they were sophomores and broke. My money's on them.

White oak had two teams break last year, Me and my partner were sophomore/Junior pair and got knocked out in quarters. The other Team GM  broke to finals and our 2X runners up. It should be a fun tournament 7 out of the 8 teams from last year quarters are back. 

I completely disagree:

1) These threads are some of the only intel that debaters in the contest get about who is good and who isn't and at least gives them some idea about that.

2) Maybe the debaters are biased but: i)judges post on cross-x ii)former debaters and iii)coaches. So you're getting a wide array of views. 

Exactly.

It gives people a good heads up. It spreads the word about teams that would normally be completely underground.

• Upvote 2

Does anyone have predictions for who will be in octas? For 3A my predictions are:

North Lamar EP

North Lamar CG

Athens OG

Athens MM

Connally DJ

Chapel Hill HM

Needville MP

Community AT

Bridgeport BG

Lampasas DW

Seminole BW

Seminole HV

These are 12 teams that I think probably will break.

These teams/schools might break:

Bandera LT

La Vernia (either team)

Crandall (either)

Glen Rose (either)

That's 16 total.

Sources: Past 3 years of elim breaks at UIL 3A state and personal experience.

• Upvote 1

5A:

Quarters participants: Bellaire AB, Coppell GS, Katy Taylor KR, Memorial CC, Midway CS, Westlake DB, Westwood PJ, and Westwood ML

4A:

Quarters participants: Bay City MP,  Crosby GL, Crosby CJ, Friendswood AB, Highland Park ST, LBJ HS, LBJ BY, and Montgomery KM

Note: Hendrickson did move to 5A, but did not make it out of their district (Westwood).

I dont really know enough about the 1a-3a bracket to make any real predictions.

listen here doe fo real my motha lickas from L-town is tight yall be trippin if u dink you could eva try and beat dem my homeslices

Super vacuous. Must have taken a lot of thought to post that. 

• Upvote 1

I think for 1A semis, it will probably be Thorndale, Farwell, Three river and someone else. That's all I know about 1A

For 2A It will most likley White Oak, White Oak, Blanco and Lago Vista. 

3A, Athens has 2 really good teams as well As Tyler Chappell Hill (HM). Lampasas DW has an good team as well. I fell like this will be the teams for semis. 

Also I under covered one 2A team that is really really good. Depending on how it goes down I think Salado could be in finals. Really good speakers, debaters, etc. 

• Upvote 4

3A, Athens has 2 really good teams as well As Tyler Chappell Hill (HM). Lampasas DW has an good team as well. I fell like this will be the teams for semis. 

I think that's a spot-on semis prediction.

• Upvote 1

It's hard to predict semi's and quarters because of who you might draw on the 2nd day. You could see two really good teams hit early in octo's or quarters and knock each other out. It's only 3 weeks from now day 1 will start can't wait.

5A:

Quarters participants: Bellaire AB, Coppell GS, Katy Taylor KR, Memorial CM, Midway CS, Westlake DB, Westwood PJ, and Westwood ML

Kevin from memorial isn't debating with George, he's debating with a novice, that might change your prediction. 

I debated with Coppel GS at a local tournament. I don't think they'll be breaking to quarters.

• Upvote 1

Kevin from memorial isn't debating with George, he's debating with a novice, that might change your prediction. 

I debated with Coppel GS at a local tournament. I don't think they'll be breaking to quarters.

The far more important portion of Memorial CC is the Colbert portion. Kevin broke at Grapevine with a partner other than George. I think he will be fine even with a new partner. As far as coppell in quarters, that was the 8th spot in my prediction and there were like 5 other teams that are at about their level. It could be any of those in that spot. I'll expand each division to octos:

5A Octos: Bellaire AB, Berkner CS, Channelview AB, Coppell GS, Grapevine KS, Elsik HV, Katy Taylor KR, Kingwood AD, Klein AE, Memorial CC, Midway CS, North Crowley DH, Reagan RW, Westlake DB, Westwood PJ, and Westwood ML

4A Octos: Bay City MP, Bay City CM,  Crosby GL, Crosby CJ, Ennis AB, Friendswood AB, Friendswood HV, Hallsville BD, Highland Park ST, Lindale:GO, LBJ HS, LBJ BY, Mercedes FS, Montgomery KM, Royse City HS, and Whitehouse CF.

I feel like predictions are extremely volatile at UIL. The fact that they only have 4 prelims means that teams that could normally get to Quarters, or even semis, might go 2-2 and not even clear. Also another large factor is the number of teams coming from "less than par" districts, which subsequently means that they bring "less than par" judges. All in all I find UIL hard to predict. 

Regardless I would still love to see Midway in 5A finals.

• Upvote 3

Also another large factor is the number of teams coming from "less than par" districts, which subsequently means that they bring "less than par" judges. All in all I find UIL hard to predict. 

Not to mention if you're from a big school (4A or 5A) you get stuck with small school judges that stayed for the rest of the week. I'd say the small school judging pool at the tournament tends to be less "liberal." 

I also feel that 3A sometimes gets the bad end of the deal because 1A & 2A judges have to judge 3A and the 3A judges get stuck judging smaller classifications. 

• Upvote 1