WolferlAmadeus

Evacuated Tube Transport Technologies-And Neg Lit

So I juts hit this team on my circuit who ran  ET3, and I lost pretty bad on it. I can't seem to find any neg lit on it except for it cost a lot, but nothing with like showing flaws in the system. Is anyone familiar with this aff?

The underground tube thingies that shoot stuff around?

(If not, just ignore the rest of this post)

T- Transportation Infrastructure

T- In the United States-- There's a good chance I'm wrong, but I believe that jurisdiction only goes so far underground. If they're too deep, there you go. 

Any spending, tradeoff DA would be good. Just think how long it would take to do the plan. Get a half decent impact on your side, and you'll outweigh everything they have on timeframe. 

Also, you might try the blackouts powergrid DA that's run against HSR. You might have to spend some time finding the link, but I'm sure the plan takes a bunch of electricity. Plus it'll turn the entire case( Plan can't work without electricity) and it can have external impacts like Nuclear meltdowns that can't really be turned. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The licenses don't equal national implementation. Is the aff on the wiki/ do you have it? Although I agree that inherency is weak, because I looked it up, and apparently the guy who patented the tech is working with some Chinese universities to start some large scale operations in China, so that might be helpful.

lol so I debated this aff and lost in a lay round, we just went on about how they had only two authors, but they made a shitty argument about how we didn't have any authors either... Anyway, I was angry after losing so I cut a short neg with answers to some of the team's advantages the afternoon after losing. All cards in here are handcut, mostly from their authors (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TLGm7I4P0Tr9gwWbAAlTfbP5-STzTFZo8kzN0sedYJM/)EDIT: Link broken now, see below in my next post for the fixed link

A quick overview of the file:

First, the science fiction part is just because their only author other than Zhang or Oster (who have patents in the technology lol) was BBC, so I decided to see what the rest of the article said.

A few of the following cards are pretty crap, but so are theirs because nobody really writes in depth about ETT. I honestly have no idea why I thought the one line brain card was a good idea, but like I said, I was pretty angry after losing this round (as it made it so we wouldn't break). The oster card is aight, but it isn't really exclusive.

Another funny thing about their plan: Oster won't sell to public entities, only privates. Woops.

The two squo solves cards are crap. Again, probably shouldn't have cut them, but whatever.

Zhang under econ is tight, their only author as to how they magically solve the economy concludes neg, he says there is still a lot more investigation necessary, while they'll make outlandish claims saying that it's economically the best option NOW.

Actually I think I lied about it all being handcut. The OPEC card I think is from another file, I put it in there because the team we faced read "we're talking about OPEC oil dependence, not russian oil dependence!" which was a stupid argument anyways, but I thought it would be good to have an answer to OPEC.

Mutasem is just an impact turn card that turns their econ advantage using oil. He talks about oil prices predicated off the dollar and how if we went off of them then the dollar would collapse. EDIT: He's handcut and crazily qualified, and not specific to ETT, put him in as a bonus.

I'm making this public because screw teams that read that aff.

• Upvote 3

It is anticipated that the first systems in the US will be built with private investment, as there are almost no instances where the government has funded revolutionary transportation innovation.

http://www.et3.com/faq

There, privates Cp with some stimulus bad shit would do

A detailed analysis prepaired in 2003 calculated the cost of a 350mph system to be about $2million / mile.

Massive spending link, consider this is only 350 mph, not the upwards of 4000 they can go to

I hit this Aff, its an easy win, just run A-spec (T-Vague), then read a bunch of turns on their advantages and maybe a Justification argument. Spending DA, econ turns and a Privitization CP work well too.

I hit this Aff, its an easy win, just run A-spec (T-Vague), then read a bunch of turns on their advantages and maybe a Justification argument. Spending DA, econ turns and a Privitization CP work well too.

ASpec =/= T-Vague. If you want a T Vague then you run T vague. And according to you in this post Spending da is a skew, so why does it work well?

Not to mention, Doesn't ETT just scream virilio K ?

Anything that travels that fast is asking for virilio

Virilio doesn't work well against just plain speed either. Any decent team can say, "There is no logical link between going fast and a nuclear holocaust caused by the war machine."

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

ASpec =/= T-Vague. If you want a T Vague then you run T vague. And according to you in this post Spending da is a skew, so why does it work well?

Yes I know aspec is the same as t-vague that's why one is in parenthesis..

Use the spending DA (that's obviously a generic position, and yes in my mind a time skew) to bring out the ground abuse due to the Aspec.

Virilio doesn't work well against just plain speed either. Any decent team can say, "There is no logical link between going fast and a nuclear holocaust caused by the war machine."

Well if you read the link card:

The success of transportation infrastructure depends on speed and efficiency because they are constituents of the modern war machine. The Aff’s emphasis on speed enables military violence.

Virilio and Lotringer 83

And they use this "this isn't a logical link" argument, then your set.

Well if you read the link card:

The success of transportation infrastructure depends on speed and efficiency because they are constituents of the modern war machine. The Aff’s emphasis on speed enables military violence.

Virilio and Lotringer 83

And they use this "this isn't a logical link" argument, then your set.

Congrats! You can find a power tagged card!

The card talks about how we didn't focus on speed till the 19th century, and then the industrial revolution happened, so we go fast now. The army also goes fast. That's the link. Both go fast. Make's perfect sense right?

We know that the army has always been the place where pure speed is used, whether  in the cavalry-the best horses, of course, were army horses artillery, etc. Still today, the army uses the most prominent speeds-whether it be in missiles or planes. 
  • Upvote 2

yeah, i agree... Saying virilio links just because they go really fast isn't really correct. 

And I think he's saying that ASPEC is not Plan vagueness or t:vague. ASPEC says you have to specify agency, T:vague says that the plan text is vague or the 1ac doesn't have specifics of the plan. 

Finally, you can run ASPEC + spending DA on any policy aff, this isnt unique or even good strat.

Hey lay of a bit I'm not the best, I see your point, thanks for the advice there. And I apologies for the aspec/T-vague misunderstanding I was taught they were pretty much the same thing.

• Upvote 1

Hey lay of a bit I'm not the best, I see your point, thanks for the advice there. And I apologies for the aspec/T-vague misunderstanding I was taught they were pretty much the same thing.

Yea, that's fine, I just have a pure hatred for Virilio, especially when it's not for the military.

• Upvote 1

Yea, that's fine, I just have a pure hatred for Virilio, especially when it's not for the military.

Wow... a "pure hatred"? Pretty intense. The way I understand Virilio is that if we are obsessed with travelling fast, we don't have any time to slow down and think of what we are doing, like in WWII, where everyone got so caught up that no one stopped to think. Correct me if I'm wrong (I don't run Virilio/think it's a bit silly)