rsoni

Need Help With An Aff

I recently thought about a new aff to run and I thought about this. A critical airport aff that says we should remove all security cameras in airports because of biopower blah blah blah (you know security K). Does anyone think this is a good aff or not. Another idea I had was something like a Diamond Road which we spend trillions on which collapses our economy that leads to De-Dev which links into K. Does anyone has this aff. If you like any of these let me know. 

I've run diamond road aff before, but I would say you could also increase investment in the destruction of this kind of infrastructure and make the argument that that infrastructure is key to the economy.

Diamond road? Just read HSR + O'Toole evidence. ;)

The security camera aff is really untopical. 

Substantial-- You wouldn't be spending anything

Increase-- You would be decreasing 

Transportation infrastructure-- Next gen is iffy in T debate- Security cameras in an airport wouldn't have a chance

Investment-- You aren't investing money

Unless you plan on reading K arguments against fairness and education, you'll lose every round against a half decent team running T

• Upvote 3

Do you have a copy of this btw way do you live in VA?

Oh wait... do you go to Broadrun? Because, yes, that was me.... (who ran that aff)

if you're reading a Dedev aff, you should defend a plan that could possibly have infrastructure-specific advantages. this is to avoid an otherwise damning CP like "text: spend x quadrillion dollars on food for poor people" and then reading a bunch of infrastructure bad cards or a DA or something that links to infrastructure.

I've run diamond road aff before, but I would say you could also increase investment in the destruction of this kind of infrastructure and make the argument that that infrastructure is key to the economy.

Super untopical

diamond HSR purposely designed to crash.  And teh plan text must require that you spend greater than half a quadrillion dollars on it

Both are topical roads and Airports are both are substaintialy increasing investment in that which is TI

Dedev is a topical mechanism this year and super easy to defend. You don't need to have a specific expensive mechanism because you can just specify the amount into any given thing (although that sort of opens you up to PICs/CPs like 'Do the aff but invest TWO million trillion dollars')

I personally think biopower affs are kind of dumb. If ran topically they are kind of a big double turn (not that it is necessarily biopolitical to simply engage the state, Foucault himself spoke in front of Parliament or however you spell the french version). It's definitely a feasible aff, the Virginia circuit isn't really too kritikal (There's Neil and I, Chad and Cooper occasionally run DnG/other Ks, and Mickey does but kind of hates them now) so you would be in the upper hands in terms of who you debate but at a disadvantage in terms of judging unless you feel comfortable explaining Biopower to a judge with no experience with kritiks (which requires more than knowledge than simply quoting Dillon cards, you should grasp the purpose of genealogy, panopticism and docility)

Oh ok so the VA circut aff what is that exactly because Chad or Cooper never told me about this aff. And know I no not to run Biopower

VA circuit means the policy debate landscape as it is in VA (which is honestly barely scrapping by), it's not an affirmative. I was describing the nature of debating kritikaly in Virginia.

I like running biopower and I'm not saying you shouldn't, but in general I don't think it makes a good policy aff. I don't know your debate experience, and in general you want to be decenty well versed in whatever kritikal literature you want to run.

Oh ok so the VA circut aff what is that exactly because Chad or Cooper never told me about this aff. And know I no not to run Biopower

Running a kritikal aff in WACFL is not going to go over well, even in metro's.

Edit: Also, one of Broad Run's varsity teams usually goes kritical I thought...

(The one that beat the twins in finals at GMU)

Cooper likes to go K but Chad is not a big fan of it.

Liberty University (AKA VHSL states) is relatively more kritikal than it used to be (if you get the right judge your in the clear). It also depends on how far left you like to go, if you want to run a basic cap or security K you will be fine whereas if you want to run say Agamben or Baudrillard you might be fighting an uphill battle. As long as you can articulate whatever you are running well, you should be fine in front of most college judges that don't outright dislike Ks.

I sounds clever, but very susceptible to simple T violations.

T - increase = net increase

T - Transportation Infrastructure - security cameras probably aren't the moving of goods and services

Maybe if the plan was to increase the creation of the jobs to remove of the security cameras it might work, but it would require a lot of work, and a really squirrley plan text. 

I sounds clever, but very susceptible to simple T violations.

T - increase = net increase

T - Transportation Infrastructure - security cameras probably aren't the moving of goods and services

Maybe if the plan was to increase the creation of the jobs to remove of the security cameras it might work, but it would require a lot of work, and a really squirrley plan text. 

increase=you're increasing investment in airports

TI= Use american job acts,altering airports it Topical