dstarfan@aol.com

Marquette Judging

What is the judging pool typically like at this tournament? I'm coming from the KC area so I'm not too familiar with Missouri debate or this tournament specifically.

What Kansas teams are going? And if you don't mind, would you/others like to disclose?

We currently have almost exclusively flow judges for champ policy, so expect to have 3-4 flow rounds for prelims. All outrounds will be flow judges.

• Upvote 1

I feel corny posting this but I'll give a short paradigm of how I vote:

I am tabula rasa. I debated on the nat circuit a bit in high school and will vote on literally anything. I believe that in debate, anything spoken in the round is true unless refuted. I will always vote on tech over truth. I will entertain anything from your basic policymaker risk analysis, to theory, to critical arguments. When I was in high school, I always went for the Security K in nat circuit and flow rounds, but I would always read a couple disads, a competitive policy, T/theory, and case arguments in the 1NC. With that said, I usually err neg on theory on things like Condo good as I believe the negative has the right to test out the affirmative in multiple worlds. 

Aside from the actual substance of the debate round, I give speaker points based on the ability to allocate time well, speak clearly, phrase arguments concisely, and effectively use their cross-ex with purpose. I will give a 30/30 a lot easier than people may think. I prefer rounds that do include speed because normal speak goes far too slow for me and honestly, it bores me. That doesn't mean I'll vote for a team that reads as many shitty arguments as possible, it means every word you speak has a purpose or apart of a strategy you could see yourself going for in the 2NR. This especially means that I must be able to understand what you say. Please me nice and respectful to your opponents in rounds too, I always believed professionalism was something that lacked from a lot of nat circuit and college debaters. 

**I don't know much about this topic at all, but I should be able to follow any argument. As far as the affirmative goes, in high school I usually read policy affs that had huge advantages like hegemony. I would often read 20 cards on just the heg advantage alone and would almost always go for it in the 2AR. But I also love critical affs, and honestly prefer topical critical affs, but again, I am tabula rasa so I will listen to non topical critical aff. I like Securitization arguments the best, but like I said, I have no idea what the topic is about and what critical arguments are popular. Authors like Dillon were my favorite. I used to be a Capitalism critique fanatic, but I think Zizek is a bit silly now :)

Anyways, Marquette is a AWESOME tournament, it always has been, and in my opinion is the best tournament in Missouri. I wish more schools would travel, where in the past Kansas teams would come and the old Pembroke teams would dominate us! Hahaa! Winning the tournament and top speaker my junior year was an amazing moment of my high school years and regret not being able to debate my senior year and thus missing another great tournament. Enjoy and good luck all! 

~PWest for life

• Upvote 1

Not to start a controversy (in fact quite the opposite), is Marquette anticipating to have a more flow/Policy experience pool than Missouri State's tournament?

I guess I'm trying to understand schools' motivations for going to Marquette when it seems to follow that MSU would have a great pool of college judges. 

Not to start a controversy (in fact quite the opposite), is Marquette anticipating to have a more flow/Policy experience pool than Missouri State's tournament?

I guess I'm trying to understand schools' motivations for going to Marquette when it seems to follow that MSU would have a great pool of college judges. 

For Eastern Missouri schools, it's pretty self-explanatory. Marquette's arguably the biggest E-MO tournament of the year, so naturally most, if not all, E-MO teams will attend.

Marquette historically has had a great judging pool, so the margin of difference between Marquette and MSU judges shouldn't be too large and is probably negligible.

Well there are a couple things that i would like to clarify about the judging pools. First the MSU tournament is bigger than Parkview. But also we have college debaters for all policy rounds. Marquette typically uses the Flay/coach variety. Being from both schools I know how they both function. I would say MSU has the more qualified judging pool, but that's no slight to the Marquette tournament. I thinks it's self evident that EMO teams go to Marquette and springfield/kc teams go to MSU. In the up coming years these two tournaments will not be on the same weekend. So you can tell for yourselves.

• Upvote 1

Possibly on this same weekend. We have to be careful because this is the weekend between our two most important college tournaments so it is likely this is the only time for us to have it. So Marquette may be pushed back or forward based on discussion and negotiations between our coaches.

Results for Champ

In quarterfinals: 

Carthage SD d. Parkway West GS

SMS LP d. Pittsburg 

UDL CS d. ?

Olathe MP d. ?

In semifinals:

Olathe MP d. UDL CS

SMS LP d. Carthage SD

In finals:

SMS LP vs. Olathe MP- wasn't there for that round so I'm not sure who won.

The UDL team is one of my teams from the Saint Louis Urban Debate League.  They were from Clyde C. Miller Career Academy.  The Pittsburgh teams and Olathe North were all from KS.

• Upvote 2

The UDL team is one of my teams from the Saint Louis Urban Debate League.  They were from Clyde C. Miller Career Academy.  The Pittsburgh teams and Olathe North were all from KS.

Congrats on a great Marquette run for your team! I enjoyed their Quarters and Semifinals rounds and am impressed by the progress they've made for being a first-year team.

What do SMS and UDL stand for? Where is Olathe from? A Pittsburg team came...?

SMS=Shawnee Mission South

And yeah, Olathe and Pittsburg are in Kansas.

• Upvote 1

Shawnee Mission South? I was pretty sure they didn't qualify to nationals (ergo can't go to postseason tournaments), and I don't even know of a Shawnee Mission South LP... Unless there's another Shawnee Mission in Missouri?

Just kidding, but it was one of the Shawnee mission schools The team was Lieke-Pourek or something like that

Shawnee Mission West Lekie/Purohit

Just kidding, but it was one of the Shawnee mission schools The team was Lieke-Pourek or something like that

Shawnee Mission West then