lol

PTX, FISM(lol), terror k,

lol

PTX, FISM(lol), terror k,

can you link me to any of those cases? please and thank you

Spending, Federalism, and Politics scenarios (sometimes) are typically paired with the States counterplan, along with solvency deficits against federal government action (though the solvency debate goes hits hard against the States CP too, I think). I wouldn't recommend States in a varsity round though; I've never really seen anyone win on a states CP before and the whole argument seems really silly, plus every aff will probably have tons of blocks against it already.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Spending, Federalism, and Politics scenarios (sometimes) are typically paired with the States counterplan, along with solvency deficits against federal government action (though the solvency debate goes hits hard against the States CP too, I think). I wouldn't recommend States in a varsity round though; I've never really seen anyone win on a states CP before and the whole argument seems really silly, plus every aff will probably have tons of blocks against it already.

Plus state CPs are weak on theory.  Map-21 thumps Fism, and to a lesser degree spending, though.  PTX is still very viable, Port security is suprisingly unpopular.  Yes, everyone will/should have blocks on it

I've never done this, but it might be interesting. Have racism as an internal NB to states--Any perm still links because the feds are still doing something and are still being racist. Read Memmi 2k or Barndt or someone as an impact. It's worth a try, and is a lot less predictable than 'tix or fism.

The states are better at representing minorities than the federal government

Reece 12 (Bryan is a professor of political science “Contemporary Federalism Roundtable (Transcript)â€

http://wps.ablongman.com/long_longman_lpcerritos_4/0,10584,2301696-,00.html)

OBASOHAN: And the argument has always been that federalism promotes this racism. REECE: Well, I think it does. Well, no, I think it does not promote the racism. I think it promotes more of a diversity in elected office. If you take a look -- let's say city council is the lowest office, and you run it all the way up to the presidency, right? As you're at the top, the federal government, that's the most white level of government, the most male level of government. And as you start coming down to the states, and the counties, and the local level, this is where you find more and more diversity. So if you say that's a function of federalism, it's having the opposite effect. At the local level is where African-Americans, Hispanics, Native-Americans, Asian-Americans, et cetera, can have influence and start moving up through the process. And, in fact, that's what we're seeing going on.

---------------------------------------------

The federal action is the most racist

Paul 02 (Rep. Ron Paul, 12/24/02, “What Really Divides Us?†www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul68.html)

Yet it is the federal government more than anything else that divides us along race, class, religion, and gender lines. The federal government, through its taxes, restrictive regulations, corporate subsidies, racial set-asides, and welfare programs, plays far too large a role in determining who succeeds and who fails in our society. This government "benevolence" crowds out genuine goodwill between men by institutionalizing group thinking, thus making each group suspicious that others are receiving more of the government loot. Americans know that factors other than merit in the free market often play a part in the success of some, and this leads to resentment and hostility between us.

The states are better at representing minorities than the federal government ... The federal action is the most racist

Tell that to the Civil War and the Civil Rights Act

• Upvote 2

I don't think the states couterplan is particularly good against port security since it has pretty good warrants as to why the feds are key or why the states can't do the plan.  I'm pretty sure their are some good case-specific counterplans for (I think some of them might involve satellite stuff or intelligence gathering but idk).  

States is run by nearly every top tier policy team...

They have blocks, and then you debate the blocks.

Agreed. I ran States CP this weekend and lost every round where I ran it..... =__= 

States is run by nearly every top tier policy team...

They have blocks, and then you debate the blocks.

Not in my experience. I see states ran very often as a "WHAT DO I DO" type CP where the negative is just swept up by an aff they didn't prep enough for. It's hypergeneric (especially when paired with like, spending and federalism, or politics) and, in my experience, extremely easy to defeat if you've got a smart affirmative file.

Stop hating on states people

Like states is really good of you have plan specific solvency, n/b of federalism, and d/a as a n/b.

• Upvote 1

I've never done this, but it might be interesting. Have racism as an internal NB to states--Any perm still links because the feds are still doing something and are still being racist. Read Memmi 2k or Barndt or someone as an impact. It's worth a try, and is a lot less predictable than 'tix or fism.

The states are better at representing minorities than the federal government

Reece 12 (Bryan is a professor of political science “Contemporary Federalism Roundtable (Transcript)â€

http://wps.ablongman.com/long_longman_lpcerritos_4/0,10584,2301696-,00.html)

OBASOHAN: And the argument has always been that federalism promotes this racism. REECE: Well, I think it does. Well, no, I think it does not promote the racism. I think it promotes more of a diversity in elected office. If you take a look -- let's say city council is the lowest office, and you run it all the way up to the presidency, right? As you're at the top, the federal government, that's the most white level of government, the most male level of government. And as you start coming down to the states, and the counties, and the local level, this is where you find more and more diversity. So if you say that's a function of federalism, it's having the opposite effect. At the local level is where African-Americans, Hispanics, Native-Americans, Asian-Americans, et cetera, can have influence and start moving up through the process. And, in fact, that's what we're seeing going on.

---------------------------------------------

The federal action is the most racist

Paul 02 (Rep. Ron Paul, 12/24/02, “What Really Divides Us?†www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul68.html)

Yet it is the federal government more than anything else that divides us along race, class, religion, and gender lines. The federal government, through its taxes, restrictive regulations, corporate subsidies, racial set-asides, and welfare programs, plays far too large a role in determining who succeeds and who fails in our society. This government "benevolence" crowds out genuine goodwill between men by institutionalizing group thinking, thus making each group suspicious that others are receiving more of the government loot. Americans know that factors other than merit in the free market often play a part in the success of some, and this leads to resentment and hostility between us.

Race K aff here, states are propably more racist.

• Upvote 1

i used the states cp this year as an actual weapon in my debate arsenal. As long as you prepare a couple case-specific cards to run with your states and pair it with a da/k with a strong inherent link to the affirmative plan, it can be a very affective method. when you think about it, most affirmatives have about 2-4 fed key cards. if you could match those with states solve better, feds fail, and a few of those cards, then your net benefit really starts to make your counter advocacy look strong. another advantage of states is that all judges understand it and i have ye to encounter a judge that wont vote on it