Sign in to follow this  
ZalmayKhalilzad

How To Handle A Panel

I've got State qualifier in less than 2 weeks. I know that I'll be getting a panel of judges for semis, so how can I handle a panel?

I usually have a barrage of questions that I ask, do I ask every single judge every single question?

What if they all have conflicting paradigms?

You should definitely be asking all of them questions. If your panel is mixed (flow, lay, somewhere in-between), play to the lowest common denominator (adapt to the worst judge). There's not really much a risk that quality judges will drop you just for adapting the others on the panel, but there's a good chance that lay judges will. Better to play it safe. The only exception I can think of is if there's two good judges and you know you can beat this other team in a highly technical round, then you should just go for it. But otherwise, just adapt to the weakest link and work from there, if you don't, you're basically giving up a ballot before the debate even starts.

I would also have very well warranted overviews of your arguments in the rebuttals so that the lay judges can have an appreciation of what's been going on, even if they've not been viewing the round technically like your flow judges.