MisterTDebater

Non Inherent Cp Theory?

I've been interested in developing inherency as an argument against counterplans for awhile now and am going to start work on it as theory.

Does anyone have an existing shell I can look at or any interesting ideas and/or feedback to contribute?

I was thinking:

Reciprocity - if the neg CP is noninherent they still get external net benefits, if the aff plan is noninherent we automatically lose, reciprocity is key to fairness

Voids all offense and makes for bad debate

I feel like this wouldn't need to be a theory argument. If the CP is already being done, why would you need to reject the plan in favor of it?

Of course you still need to attack CP solvency or else they could spin it to say your advantages have already been solved.

• Upvote 1

I feel like this wouldn't need to be a theory argument. If the CP is already being done, why would you need to reject the plan in favor of it?

Of course you still need to attack CP solvency or else they could spin it to say your advantages have already been solved.

Um, if the CP's non-inherent that's a reason the status quo solves. (Although it does give you more leverage against advantage solvency claims)

Because if inherency is used as pure defence I still need to win that the CP doesnt solve - theory gets me a potential win.

Yeah, there's no way to make this into a "reject the team" issue, the punishment wouldn't fit the crime. Conditionality also answers pretty much any objections. Despite not having the "shock value" of the new theory you propose, condo bad is still going to be an easier one to win. If you want obscure theory, go with something like "no neg fiat," lol.

Then again, I have confidence in you to win the "substance" of rounds ;)

• Upvote 1

Because if inherency is used as pure defence I still need to win that the CP doesnt solve - theory gets me a potential win.

That makes sense. But still I feel like it's easier to win that their counterplan doesn't solve (ideally you'll have blocks) than that it's abusive to be noninherent; if anything they make it EASIER for you to beat them. It's a reason to reject the counterplan, but not the team.

This seems like the equivalent of just saying "they read a cp that doesn't solve, that's a voter because they wasted our time with a bad argument"

I think you can see the logical flaws in that

Like everyone has said, saying a CP is non-inherent doesn't do much for you unless you win the CP doesn't solve, a unique DA to the CP that you solve for as well.

I think you guys are missing the point. This is clearly a question of competition, not theory or solvency. If the counterplan is being done in the status quo, it's not an opportunity cost to the plan and its also not mutually exclusive...like really it's not even a counterplan. At that point they're just making status quo solves arguments.

You just need:

1)A good defense of your aff, why it's different than the squo

2)To say: "lololol they are stupid, the counterplan is not a reason to vote neg, it's functionally 100% case defense and is not a relevant consideration in a comparison of advocacies, we can do the plan because they aren't mutually exclusive", etc. etc.

Also the reason this theory argument could never really be a voter, the way i see it, is that it's not unfair for them to get external net benefits -- those are just standard disads that they should get anyway, just focus on the fact that their counterplan sucks and try to beat the status quo.