Sign in to follow this  
Carpe Noctem

Workshops, Institutes, And Camps Megathread

Information compiled from this thread will be available HERE: https://docs.google....0P2_qDUYJ4/edit

There's a lot of information out there on debate camps. A lot. It's not organized terribly well, to put it mildly. We can look all day through camps and decipher which amazing debaters went to which camps, but at the end of the day I think it's reasonable to say that a majority of decisions about where to go to camp are based on testimonials. Even if not, I hope this can become at least a semi-helpful resource for high school debaters making the choice to attend a camp.

In addition to the testimonial information all of you provide, I intend to pull together all of the basic information on any camp I can find information on so it is compiled in one place.

For any/all camp(s) that you attended, please provide as much of the following as possible. It's not necessary that you provide everything if you can't or don't want to, but in particular please provide at least one con (if you can think of any at all), even if it's minor. Most people like their camp experiences, but identifying weaknesses would significantly help debaters make these decisions.

Also, please tell me if you can think of something I don't identify below that would be helpful.

Camp attended:

Program and Session:

Year:

General description of the format and how the session operated:

Things the session did particularly well/pros:

Anything the session did not do particularly well/cons:

Any other comments you have about the camp, and/or any advice you have for someone considering the camp:

Thanks!

Camp attended: UNT- Meangreen Workshops

Program and Session: 2 week

Year: 2012

General description of the format and how the session operated: Well, the time was managed well, we'd have freetime in the morning to get breakfast and such, a camp-wide lecture, then move on to lunch, go to labs till around 5, then freetime. All-in-all it was a great time.

Things the session did particularly well/pros: Managed time, Good staff, nice dorms

Anything the session did not do particularly well/cons: False-advertising, the camp was projected to help advanced debaters as well as novices, they removed any experience based labs and shoved everyone into groups and I really didn't learn anything new at camp. Also the lectures weren't really well thought out besides 3 (Topic lecture, K debate, investment mechanisms) The rest were crap lectures like Global Warming and Elections

Any other comments you have about the camp, and/or any advice you have for someone considering the camp: If you go here even as a barely-good debater, go to the 3 week, the 2 week is literally based around the most novice level debate possible.

• Upvote 1

Camp attended: UNT - Mean Green Workshops

Program and Session: 2 Week

Year: 2012 (same as Nick above)

General description of the format and how the session operates: See Nick's above.

Things the session did particularly well/pros: Managed time, good staff, decent dorms. My partner and I had done PF and LD before but never did policy, they taught the basics pretty well, we've been doing great at all the tournaments we've attended, all 2nds and 3rds, camp had one day dedicated to lettings us do 4 practice rounds (no tournament or disclosure, just after-round criticisms) which was pretty helpful, as well as practice speeches & spreading in labs.

Anything the session did not do particularly well/cons: Very little prep for kritikal debate styles - the one K lecture was rather cursory and not too helpful and we only had one day in our labs dedicated to learning about kritiks. The camp-wide lectures weren't too great, except the investment mechanisms one. They were things like, "oil," "global warming," and one about relevant government agencies for research purposes, but none of them were particularly helpful. Not much discussion of framework or dealing with performance teams or kritikal affirmatives. There were only 4 practice rounds but that's because we did the 2-week lab. The administrative staff at the dorms were also exceptionally uptight. I had garbage duty 4 times, all because I would forget to go down to the lobby & take my medicine at a certain time.

Any other comments you have about the camp, and/or any advice you have for someone considering the camp: I'm pretty sure the 3 week or 4 week programs are a lot better - according to the schedules, those labs got much deeper into topic and kritikal literature as well as more practice doing full rounds.

• Upvote 1

Camp attended: UNT

Program and Session: 4 week with the 16 practice debates

Year: Before 2011-2012

General description of the format and how the session operated: For the 1st 3 weeks, it was very research oriented with a few practice rounds in your lab and between labs. Then, there was the tournament, and after that, 16 back to back practice rounds wooot

Things the session did particularly well/pros: Great lectures, great demo debates, great research, and 16 back to back practice rounds were pretty interesting. The 4th week actually got you up on theory and the 4th week was more individually oriented with 1 coach for about 4 debaters.

Anything the session did not do particularly well/cons: Less help on the kritik

Any other comments you have about the camp, and/or any advice you have for someone considering the camp: I would recommend this for 2nd years but not so much for later years

Camp attended: UNTIF

Program and Session: 3 week skills

Year: Before this year

General description of the format and how the session operated: Lectures in the morning, practice rounds in the afternoon and about 2 full tournaments.

Things the session did particularly well/pros: THe format was pretty awesome with lectures in the morning and practice rounds in the afternoon to show your new skills, about 25 debate rounds for the resolution in those 3 weeks, the coaching staff was pretty awesome, and it got really in depth on the kritik for the research part

Anything the session did not do particularly well/cons: ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, the food was awesome, the dorms were awesome and so was the university

Any other comments you have about the camp, and/or any advice you have for someone considering the camp: I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS OVER UNT 4 week anytime