NobiumCX

Thumpers

Thumpers are cards that completely non-unique the link of a politics disad. For instance, if the disad's link is that transportation infrastructure bills are massively unpopular, then a thumper would be something like Obama having just yesterday passed a massively huge transportation bill. It's especially good if the evidence says that the previous bill was popular.

That's what I've been told about thumpers, anyways. There may be different ideas/definitions.

• Upvote 2

Thumpers are cards that completely non-unique the link of a politics disad. For instance, if the disad's link is that transportation infrastructure bills are massively unpopular, then a thumper would be something like Obama having just yesterday passed a massively huge transportation bill. It's especially good if the evidence says that the previous bill was popular.

That's what I've been told about thumpers, anyways. There may be different ideas/definitions.

I'm not sure that's a thumper so much as just a generic non-unique but you're heading in the right direction.

Say for example your politics internal-link scenario is something like "plan is unpopular, Obama has to spend PC to pass it, that means he won't be able to use it on X, X is good". A thumper in this case would be something else (we'll call it Y) that just recently passed that Obama would have to spend PC on/ was deemed unpopular. If the scenario for the disad is true, then the fact that Obama would have (theoretically) had to spend PC on Y means that even if the plan doesn't happen, he still wouldn't have enough PC to use for X because it got used getting Y to pass.

I think of a thumper as something Obama will spend his pol cap on even if we reject the plan - it's like a future nonunique argument: Even if Obama doesn't spend pol cap on the plan, he'll spend pol cap on [thumper] so he won't be able to pass [bill the disad talks about] anyway.