Sign in to follow this  
mattcasas

I Wrote A Song.

I don't like the doubled voices and there's a few notes flatter than they should be. It started feeling repetitive at about 1:45 and stayed that way throughout. The volume doesn't really change throughout, nor does the melody (that I noticed), only the words. Not bashing, I really like it, especially the guitar. It could be fantastic on an objective scale though. Also, these are just subjective opinions, so don't take them too seriously. Also, I stuck my headphones near my dog's ear and she started freaking out so I think she likes it.

Source: Two ears and a lot of years of choir involvement.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sorry for being late to the party on this one. I like the lyrics and the way the guitar sounds, but the chord progression doesn't create a lot of drama/tension so it doesn't feel like the song is "going anywhere" if that makes sense.

Quick crash course in music theory:

1. There are four types of chords: tonic, pre-pre-dominant, pre-dominant, and dominant.

• Tonic is just your 1 chord
  • Pre-pre-dominant is either 3 or 6, with 6 being the better option in general because it's more of a change
  • Pre-dominant is either 2 or 4, with no real leanings here (4 chord is used more often but that doesn't make it better de facto)
  • Dominant is either 5 or 7, with 5 used more often because it's a major chord still using the leading tone (7th note of the scale) instead of a diminished chord which just sounds weird and can only resolve in very specific way

2. You can use these types to your advantage

• Every progression should begin on a tonic (except in certain cases which I'll get to later) and contain a dominant, which then goes straight back to tonic
  • Everything that isn't tonic or dominant is just a way to delay the arrival of the dominant chord to build tension
  • Order goes: tonic, pre-pre-dom, pre-dom, dom, and repeat
  • You can skip things at the beginning but not later on. Example, you can have tonic, pre-dom, dom, tonic, but you can't have tonic, pre-pre-dom, dom, tonic because you've skipped the pre-dom in between
  • NOTE: not 100% of music follows these rules (example: the most common chord progression in contemporary pop and "oldies" rock is 1 5 6 4 which doesn't technically follow the rules but still sounds cool) but they're good guidelines to get started with a progression to build and release tension, which is the key to good music

3. Moving voices within the context of held notes can sound awesome, especially when the moving notes create suspended chords and then release. Most famous example: C+F+G, C+E+G, C+D+G, C+E+G. Try having multiple voice parts hold two notes while the guitar moves around and makes cool chords, or try having an instrumental sustained note while you have a moving voice part.

4. The problem with having multiple voices singing the same part is that if you don't time it perfectly, you create unwanted tension which doesn't resolve properly. This is especially true when the voice is moving up by half or whole steps and not by jumps of a third or more, as you end up with notes right next to each other that don't get resolved in opposite directions (the best way to solve those problems). Using a chorus effect is easier and avoids this problem.

5. Inversions are super cool when you're trying to make it easier to sing but know that 2nd inversion chords (example: CM/G) create tension that you need to be able to resolve. This is especially true of 2nd inversion 1 chords because the bottom note implies the 5 chord, which is dominant, so it doesn't feel resolved. Beginning or ending songs on an inversion is generally bad.

Source: 6 years of teaching myself piano, 8 years of specializing in tonal percussion, 10 years of choir, 3 years of music theory.

DISCLAIMER: obviously, music has no hard and fast rules. However, there is a rhyme and reason to what sounds good, and knowing that will make it easier for you to start making new songs because you'll have a framework for setting up chord progressions. Plus, you need to know the "rules" before which ones you decide to break, which is what will make your music interesting.

You probably knew most of this but it's also good reference for other songwriters on here.

• Upvote 3

I actually didn't, so this was very helpful! I really dont have any real understanding of music theory, I just taught myself how to play guitar and stuff. I wrote this song for my girlfriend for her birthday, so I know it's not perfect by any means. But since I do plan on continuing writing, I really appreciate that you took the time to not only listen, but help me as well. Thanks man :)

• Upvote 1

No problem, I love what you have so far and I think you'll just keep on getting better. Looking forward to hearing what you write in the future.

If I'm being honest... it's neither good nor bad. You have potential, especially your singing. You have a style you seem to be aiming for... (your lyrics are pretty cliche, but hey, people like that shit, I guess)

Maybe add a faster section with palm muting in the middle would really jazz it up. It sounds like your building to something, forever, but that something never comes. Its not what chords you play, but how you play them.

You need to EQ and Master your track and it will sound a lot better. I think that's half the problem with us hearing your melodies and progression, they're all running over the top of one another.

1. Panning

2. EQ

3. Compression

4. Levels/Mastering