Sign in to follow this  
MtownDB8ER

Plan Text Pik

Are you dealing with a policy aff, kind of critical aff, critical aff, or performative aff?

Any specific PIKs?

1. Theory--Conditional PIKs = bad, unfair & destroys advocacy

2. Ks of rep = bad. Butler has some pretty good impact turns in this regard--from her book that has Performance in the title. (it might be in Georgetowns K file toolbox from a year ago....).

3. Sometimes erasure works as a permutation or link out (terror talk & generic he)....and perhaps for Ks of representation.

4. Justify the inclusion

5. Impact turns to the alternative

6. Perm

7. Framework....but usually these Ks kinda function in both world. Ideally you can get to your impacts via the impact turn of the alternative. I tend to think that its difficult to prove this internal link with a reps type K. Although cross-ex may help solidify such links.

8. Ideally historical ways that those types of strategies have been successful (ie have created successful policies....what you use to justify this "historical" evidence varies a bit).

Some combination of the above....not necessarily all at once.

State good/inevitable arguments. There are certainly generic cards about this, but ideally you should have some warrants specific to what your aff is doing.

State good/inevitable arguments. There are certainly generic cards about this, but ideally you should have some warrants specific to what your aff is doing.

I think in many cases this is not just a defense of the state (although certainly thats key), but also a defense of the Progressive vision or the welfare state (i.e. state services to citizens). You might find if you read political speeches by democrats that they justify such a stance philosophically/ideologically.

I think using the New Orleans metaphor is certainly one way to do this.

• http://cretscmhd.psych.ucla.edu/nola/volunteer/EmpiricalStudies/Violence,%20Katrina,%20and%20the%20biopolitics%20of%20disposability.pdf

• http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/lit/summary/v033/33.3giroux.html

Although there are certainly files from camp as well.

Certainly in most debates....you can probably get away with what is in essence a defense of the minimalist state....but the days in which that is a viable strategy are probably getting fewer and fewer.

• Upvote 1