jreubenclark

New Ranking Website -- Impactranks.com

Debaters-

I have created a website with the intent of facilitating a coaches' poll for high school debate, much like they have for college debate. It is now up and is called impactranks.com. Its purpose is to publish a coaches’ poll, show updated Baker standings, and house articles about tournament results. Please check it out.

If you have any questions or suggestions regarding the website or its content, please email me at jreubenclark10@gmail.com

-- Josh Clark

Juan Diego Catholic high school

• Upvote 5

You are an awesome person. I will make sure my school turns in a vote for the coaches poll after st. marks.

Seriously though, thank you for doing this.

Is this really what we want the activity to be about at the high school level? National polls ranking 15-18 year olds? Meh.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I think the larger problem is that unlike NDT/CEDA, most coaches will never see half of the teams they rank, making it largely a rep-based exercise. While it's true that there are tournaments results available that can give coaches a sense of who is good, that's not really a substitute for actually watching a team firsthand.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

It is, heaven forbid these kids get recognition for their achievements. You're probably mad because you would have never made it on one of these ranking sites.

Despite the mean second half to this, I know that I would have loved to have seen my name posted anywhere with a respectable number next to it. But im not entirely sure if I would have made it via coaches pole. Or maybe I would have, I was the best afterall lol

Despite the mean second half to this, I know that I would have loved to have seen my name posted anywhere with a respectable number next to it. But im not entirely sure if I would have made it via coaches pole. Or maybe I would have, I was the best afterall lol

I'm on to you, Brian.

• Upvote 1

I think this is a great idea and just took part. I think the concerns voiced so far are reasonable but are not as strong as the reasons favoring the poll's existence.

This information exists for other HS activities (namely, sports) and other forms of debate accomplishment (season-long performance, the Baker.) I agree that it's a little odd to rank HS kids but I think the downside here is minimal.

The possibility of misinformed voting makes a lot of sense. I think this is the biggest concern. However, consider two counter-arguments;

a. Direct observation is useful but so is evaluating the statistics. Many of these teams have attended 3+ tournaments and have a record. Many of them have won very tough debates, won several elimination rounds, etc. I tried to base my rankings on raw accomplishment (with some arbitrary judgment therein, admittedly) more than on direct observation.

b. Look at the NCAA's top 25 Coaches poll for college football. The coaches vote even though 100% of their time is spent watching their own tape or that of direct opponents. The Coaches' poll isn't perfect, nor is the BCS, nor is the AP. The existence of all 3 provides a variety of opinions that recognize hard work and achievement. This poll helps to achieve the same effect for high school.

The upside, meanwhile, is considerable. This is a great way to help programs demonstrate their success to their administration. Travel costs are difficult to sustain, particularly for public schools. Schools are more willing to accept these costs if they can boast about possessing a top-25 team. Very few schools in the country (by definition) are top-25 in ANY activity. This could help to cement school pride in a program and, more importantly, funding and support for hard-working programs and coaches.

I agree that "rep" is stupid but it is also inevitable and it should be shaped by merit/performance rather than school name. Could you ever have envisioned a world where CK McClatchy (shout out to former labbie Spurlock) was ranked ahead of multiple-TOC champion Greenhill? On the flip-side, being ranked outside the top 10 didn't seem to stop Greenhill from charging to the finals of St. Mark's (and possibly winning, I haven't heard the result.) There is nothing objective about your rank in a poll. It doesn't speak to your potential, only to your performance so far. Performance can be measured without making a statement on potential.

• Upvote 4

I am down with Rubaie on this one. I think he makes several good points and I think that most high school debaters are adult enough to handle some rankings. And, as stated every sport does this. Wrestlers (of which my brothers are both coaches) get ranked weekly in the paper inside of the state and have a running national ranking. Why should we as a community not do our best to hold up our best? I also think the point about administration support is critical. It is hard to describe national success to a principal...that is often why it is just easier to take a state championship to the admin because you can say...see we were first! I think once you can say here is the national ranking...these are the schools we are competing against...and this is how we define success you can give lay people a much better understanding of the scope of your program's success. If you just come back from a tournament like the Glenbrooks and say we got in the top 16! That might not sound as great if you cannot provide some context...and we all know that a top 16 finish at the Glenbrooks is pretty darn good.

• Upvote 2