Sign in to follow this  
atldb8r

Good Novice Da Project

I am currently a junior in high school, debating with a sophomore 1st year policy debater. My first year of debate, a varsity member of the team gave me a DA (allied prolif on the military topic) to work on extensively. I found it very educational to focus on one DA and practice extending it often in my 1NRs. Because of this, I would like to do the same this year, but I didn't go to camp, so I don't really know what the core generic DAs are on this topic are (if they exist)

What would you all suggest as a good DA for a novice to work on for the infrastructure topic?

I didn't want to assign Spending because it will often function as a link turn, so my partner would learn less about the impact level of disads. Tradeoff disads have the same problem in that many that I saw just had econ impacts. I didn't want to use politics because of how unique of a disad it is in many ways and because it changes too often to be useful in certain ways.

I was considering the Oil DA, but it doesn't link to a few common affs, so I was hesitant to assign this one.

Any ideas? Think Oil is a good choice? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I think you want to wrap the DA around whatever counter plan they feel most comfortable with.

1. Oil (the backstopping version, because it turns the case)--this is one they probably will have to kick if they are going for the counterplan--as it eats the DA too.

2. Funding tradeoff, because its specific to transportation policy--and the link turn is minimal (its also very consistent with counterplan strategies like states/federalism)

3. Stimulus good/bad

4. States/federalism

5. hege bad perhaps--but mostly to impact turn whatever part of hege the counterplan can't solve. (although at the novice level they can probably get away with saying federalism key to leadership or hege)--and explaining why 50 states at once would still get hege & perhaps be modeled.

Coersion/Libertarianism K

Thanks for the help so far.

I was unclear about this in my first post, but I am a 2N (I was just double 1s freshman year because my partner was a junior). I expect my partner to stay a 1N, so that's why I'm not as worried about her quickly learning how to debate CPs, Ks and T on the neg. Also, I am more than comfortable going for the status quo in the 2NR, so whether a counterplan avoids a link to the DA isn't a very big deal.

How good can the federalism DA be as a stand-alone disad? Since I have only ever debated on the military and space topics, I don't have much experience with it, but the consensus seems to be that it is a very bad DA that is only used because it is useful as a trivial net benefit to the States CP.

One more question. I've only been to 1 tournament so far this year. For those who have been to a few, how many affs have you seen that don't reduce oil dependence in some way (icebreakers, mayports, etc.)?

just have the 1nr go for t. If you really want federalsim it works the best with a CP. Otherwise go for oil. I used to be a 1n. Now i'm a 2n just have your partner go for politics it will make him better. If you want to go for an argument it will help you in the 2nr and will make your partner better.