NobiumCX

Abusing The "help Me" Section

I feel like I've been overusing Cross-x.com and I don't want to come of as annoying, but I do want to be a much better debater. My team isn't going to another tournament till mid November so I figured that I would take the time off to become significantly better. I would like to think of myself as a competent debater, but I don't think i'm technical, fast, or strategic enough. The debate coach at my school is good, but cx isn't his specialty so there's only so much I can learn under his wing. I really want to use this month to change the level on which I debate but I really don't know how or where to start. I couldn't go to camp during the summer because there was no way i could afford it and I couldn't get a scholarship. My goal for this year is to qual and make outrounds at TFA state and make nationals. I really think i can do it if i do the right things this month, but honestly i'm not sure what to do... so, what do?

• Upvote 1

Start some virtual debates as a means to get practice. There's [obviously] a whole section on it in these forums.

Try to focus in on a certain area of debate. Obviously, you're going to have an aff that covers a bunch of different things, but beyond that, be on the lookout for the path of least resistance/the easiest way to win. Debate is a game of depth of knowledge, not breadth. In my opinion (read as take this with a grain of salt (stupid expression, by the way)), spreading is a tool to give you options, but it's up to the individual debater (or partnership) to decide which route to take.

For instance, you may want to go "balls deep" into the nuances of a particular krtik to run circles around opponents. You may choose to devote yourself to the theory of debat to give you multiple ways to get independent voters (while still condensing the research that you do into specific areas (e.g. fairness vs. education)). There are a lot of different options.

Flow. If you don't already do so, start. If you do, get better at it. The line-by-line is critical if you're ever going to be able to get as in depth as you can. (Some caveats here, but that's a different situation)

That's all I feel like typing on my phone for now, but good luck with your debate career!

• Upvote 1

Woah. Where do you debate? My partner and I are in the nearly EXACT same position as you... and we're also wanting to make outrounds at TFA state and hopefully make it to nats.

Our coach hates CX and we're the only two that do it at our school... We've been dedicating a bunch of time after school to highlighting and assembling blocks, every day. Talk about policy debate with your partner or friends as much as is socially acceptable. Being here on Cross-X is great. Follow tumblrs like fuckyeahpolicydebate. Read and ask and talk about it. It's really helpful for me at least.

Sometimes I watch videos on debatevision to help keep my ear keen for spreading... But I'm also a tad lazy in that regard, heh.

Best of luck to ya this year.

Doing 2ac blocks is the highest impact you can have given you have 50% of your rounds on your aff versus say at most 10% of your rounds going neg against any given aff.

If you want to run the K....its quite easy to write blocks for

1. typical args (perm, Rorty/Cede the political, cross applications of case impacts, etc...)

2. offense: link turns OR impact turns

3. theory/framework

4. arguments specific to the critique

If you plan on a more policy oriented strategy you need 3 go tos:

1. A viable counterplan for each subset of the resolution (aka type of affirmative)

2. solvency dump (this can be semi-generic probably--with mini-disads)

3. decent advantage frontlines (probably including impact defense)

Obviously you have to make adjustments on a case by case basis. But these 3 can help shape your strategy in a productive way.

Start some virtual debates as a means to get practice. There's [obviously] a whole section on it in these forums.

I strongly recommend you do not do this. "Virtual debates" do little if anything to build skills like thinking on your feet, developing knowledge on topics, and, you know, talking, that are key to winning. My suggestions:

- Speed drills 5 days a week

- 30-60 minutes a day cutting cards (don't overdo it, it'll fry your brain)

- 45 minutes every few days writing blocks

Read the wiki to see what kinds of arguments other people make

Watch online debate rounds, if you don't think you understand anything, just try anyway, it's the only way you'll ever make it over the hump and get good

Also, spend as little time on cross-x.com as possible. If you have a question, try to use other online resources to resolve it, use cx.com as a last resort. This website is fine if you have free time, but as far as a skill-builder, it is a black hole.

I strongly recommend you do not do this. "Virtual debates" do little if anything to build skills like thinking on your feet, developing knowledge on topics, and, you know, talking, that are key to winning. My suggestions:

- Speed drills 5 days a week

- 30-60 minutes a day cutting cards (don't overdo it, it'll fry your brain)

- 45 minutes every few days writing blocks

Read the wiki to see what kinds of arguments other people make

Watch online debate rounds, if you don't think you understand anything, just try anyway, it's the only way you'll ever make it over the hump and get good

Also, spend as little time on cross-x.com as possible. If you have a question, try to use other online resources to resolve it, use cx.com as a last resort. This website is fine if you have free time, but as far as a skill-builder, it is a black hole.

I agree that this site is a time-suck (often filled with mindless BS), but it does prove to be a valuable resource at times. Further, it sounds as this particular person does have much time within the next month, so using any resources would be best.

If he had access to other teams, I would, by all means, say have real-life practice debates, but it doesn't seem to be that way, unless I'm mistaken.

I sorta disagree with the whole anti v-debate thing. While it's certainly not a substitute for real practice debates, I feel it does have some educational value. Specifically I believe it really forces the debaters(when done right) to go line-by-line, because there's really no excuse not to. It's also my belief that early on in your debate career the LBL is an immensely valuable tool. If your doing the LBL correctly, and flowing correctly, then you'll easily win 50% of your debates because your opponents drop an argument. If this is a typical 6 round tournament then you should be at least be expecting to win 3 rounds using that strategy. Out of the remaining three rounds you should probably win 1-2 simply because the LBL forces you to do very solid refutation because of the way arguments line up. The LBL also magnifies on your flow which arguments your winning(and losing) and how they implicate the rest of the debate, making your rebuttals much easier.

So essentially, if you can learn how to go line-by-line efficiently and effectively you should be expecting to clear at most of the tournaments you go to, at least in your first year.

I'd also recommend watching this video: http://vimeo.com/5464508

If you master that technique then you'll be leagues above your competitors.