NobiumCX

Just A Little Worried About College

I've been doing debate since I was in middle school and now i'm a senior in high school. I didn't do very well in school because I was pretty distracted by unnecessary things, but I stuck to debate like a barnacle on a ship. Now I'm at a point where I'm trying to figure out where to apply to and what scholarships I can apply for, and I'm wondering how I should use my experiences in speech and debate to their full potential in terms of getting me admissions and scholarship money. If anyone could give me some advice on how to do so, it would be greatly appreciated. I live in Texas, btw. So if their are things I can do here specifically to help myself out, it would be nice to know. Also, does anyone know of any colleges or grant/scholarship providers who really like debaters?

Google a university's name and next to it "debate scholarship" there's tons out there; I think a wall street journal article that says that you'll have a much better chance of being accepted to a university. The best thing about colleges and debaters is that we're not as frequent as football players, band kids, etc. That means it stands out more on applications. But, if all else fails, go to community college, there's nothing wrong with it, but it won't be as much of a social experience and you'll have to take it seriously unlike high-school.

• Upvote 1

First, have you taken your ACT or SAT....I assume that most of the schools (save community college) will require you have one of those tests. This is just my assumption--this isn't universal--but many, many do.

I would focus your efforts on the Texas area.

I think Texas A & M has a parli program.

Both UNT & University of Texas have policy programs. Their debate scholarship programs I believe are pretty competitive, though.

There are a number of other Texas schools with debate programs.

http://colleges.usne...as--austin-3658

UT Austin is an amazing university. Its ranked #46 by US News & World Report. Although you would obviously need to focus.

One key suggestion: if focusing is an issue for you, you might consider the Student Services office....which may be able to provide resources in this regard. Schools know that making the jump to college can be challenging and provide services to help ease the shift--as well as to help students be more accountable, more focused, more organized, and ultimately more productive.

• Upvote 1

Debaters is not a common course in our area so I would suggest you try to search it online. It's a joke here that if you love to debate you should go into a law school which I wouldn't suggest unless you want to :)

How do ACT and SAT scores usually compare? I'm not familiar with SAT scoring really because I never took one, but that ACT score seems comparatively small.