Sign in to follow this  
SlavojZizek

Lay Disads

Trade off is the best option. Congress is down now so no politics or spending except elections. Go for a simple elections scenario.

Trade off is the best option

I tend to disagree when links are usually super generic, although this is not always the case. If you have good specific links (Possibly auto industry), then by all means, go for it.

Congress is down now so no spending.

You can still run spending. Why not run spending?

Go for a simple elections scenario.

Again, this has already been discussed. With all the different predispositions that lay judges will be subject to, this comes with a significant risk and may not be the best idea.

Spending really is the obvious choice for everything at the moment. Maybe you could try public choice theory/regulatory capture, though that's more of a case turn than a disad (showing my age, we won an insane number of neg rounds on the 1999-2000 education topic with that kind of argument); "bureaucracies, unions, and corporate lobbyists will ruin any government plan and turn it into a boondoggle" is easily comprehensible to a lay judge. Global Warming links to anything that uses fossil fuels, though is somewhat politically controversial.

My favorite neg arguments are homemade generic solvency takeouts, I definitely would be running things like regulatory capture and crony capitalism against the government spending plans that most typical Affs are running.