Sign in to follow this  
SlavojZizek

Lay Disads

Industry Tradeoff maybe for High-Speed Rail?

Auto industry. Lays love their cars.

You should also be able to inspire a lot of rhetoric about the recession and the auto bailouts.

What's your definition of "Lay"?

No Kritiks, no counter-plans, have to talk extremely slow, no advanced theory or jargon, and politics is pushing it because of all the theory needing to be understood to run it. Also, case debate is good but I still need 1-2 offensive options. Tradeoff is good but I was wondering if there were other substance DAs that could work in front of these judges.

• Upvote 1

Uhhh, it's not a DA, but backstopping is a pretty good argument.

However, auto, airline, and almost any other trade-off DA is good for a lay judge because it makes sense.

Honestly, trade-off really is your best option here. It's simple, it links, and it'll make sense to the volunteers in St. Louis County. Don't worry about being predictable, just worry about properly extracting warrants and making evidentiary comparisons that resonate.

Also, while it's generally a good idea to avoid the agenda politics in front of inexperienced judges, election scenarios are probably pretty easy to follow.

And here's the thing, Zizek (I don't know who you are. I thought you were David until about a month ago), if you're desperate for more offensive positions, don't just write off spending. Again, it's simple, it's something that sounds important to your average person, and it has utility if you get good at it. Park Hill CF won a lot of debates on the KC circuit last year by just being better on the spending debate than everyone else.

Also, Elections isn't the best option in STL or any lay judge because they have predispositions of politics. Aka, running Obama Good in front of an old white conservative dad wouldn't work out too well. The impact scenarios on elections (Healthcare, China Currency, Foreign Policy) are also very politically motivated.

Tradeoff sounds really good. Last year, tradeoffs were dumb because space projects didn't tradeoff with anything, but infrastructure projects actually do tradeoff in real life. With spending DA, you could do some cool perception based link stuff to avoid the "how much do you have to spend" brink argument

No Kritiks, no counter-plans, have to talk extremely slow, no advanced theory or jargon, and politics is pushing it because of all the theory needing to be understood to run it. Also, case debate is good but I still need 1-2 offensive options. Tradeoff is good but I was wondering if there were other substance DAs that could work in front of these judges.

Just making sure we were on the same page.

Yeah I would keep Spending still as a option though. Although many teams may be prepared to answer it, you have to remember that a lot of "lay" judges will be bringing preconceived notions as ktg1678 was saying. So it may be pretty easy for you to persuade a judge to vote in your favor due to it being a pretty inherent issue.

Aka, running Obama Good in front of an old white conservative dad wouldn't work out too well. The impact scenarios on elections (Healthcare, China Currency, Foreign Policy) are also very politically motivated.

There are two candidates.

There are two candidates.

Yeah but it could flip running Obama bad with a liberal. Point is that it's not worth the risk of allowing a lay judges predispositions intervening.

predispositions

Thats the beauty of the Gary Johnson DA; no one knows who he is.

Or you can run the Jill Stein DA, both work.

Or maybe plan is key to independents winning the senate.

• Upvote 1

Are there 2 stories then for Gary Johnson?

1. He shifts the National race (I haven't seen this....just assuming given how the way people talked about independents in 2000)

2. He shifts the Senate

Gary Johnson's candidacy is no joke, Ben.

That could be true, if all libertarians weren't jokes on principle.

• Upvote 1

Park Hill CF won a lot of debates on the KC circuit last year by just being better on the spending debate than everyone else.

heheh. I gave like 35 2nrs on the spending Disad. People just don't get that idea. Just be better than everyone at a certain position and you'll win most debates. The economy is the best scenario for most people to understand. Most people think spending trillions of dollars isn't a good idea.

• Upvote 2

I remember at one point my partner and I were undefeated when reading spending last year, then for some reason we stopped running it and started losing a lot of neg rounds. Don't think you're too good for what seems like a "dumb" disadvantage.