Rawrcat

Best Affs So Far

Favorite Aff  

86 members have voted

1. 1. What is everyone's Favorite Aff so far (on open evidence ofc)

• National Infrastructure Bank
    • Port Security
    • Port Building/Mega-Ports
    • Port Dredging
    • Arctic/Bering Strait Tunnel
    • Airborne Aircraft Carriers
    • C-17 Aircraft Carrier
    • High Speed Rail
    • Urban Transit
    • Buses
    • Urban Sprawl Aff
    • Highways/ Roads
    • Air Traffic Control/ NextGen
    • Alaska Ports
    • Army Corps
    • Airport Buildings/Improvement
    • Bridges
    • Bicycles
    • DeDev Aff
    • CO2 Pipelines
  2. 2. Favorite Aff (continued)

• Climate Infrastructure
    • Desert Xpress
    • Ableism
    • Freight Electrification
    • GPS
    • Guam
    • Hydrogen Fueling
    • Waterways
    • Intelligent Transportation System
    • Mass Transit
    • Mayport
    • Metros
    • Military Ocean Terminals
    • Sealifts
    • Operationally Responsive Space
    • River Locks
    • Space Elevator
    • Title XI
    • Defense Access Roads
    • Other (Explain in Comments)

Considering a majority of the aff ideas for this year have already been said and/or cut, what is everyone's opinion on the best aff for this year? Sorry there are two questions. I could only do 20 choices per.

Choices like the DeDev aff really don't need to be on there.

Big impact scenarios--but easily counterplannable I would think. They just have to run their DAs in reverse.....ORRRR impact turn.

In theory, its far too advantage counterplannable. Not just where one advantage goes away--but 75% to 100% of the case.

I don't think the perm really solves. You just have to win a risk the aff--by doing the aff (aka transportation infrastructure) creates long term hege or growth--and it would seem to be a pretty clear net benefit. Alternatively--I'm not sure how much momentum of link you have to win VS the permutation.

They might also run co-option links on capitalism--that even seems like a independent way out of the debate for them--perhaps.

Also, just run reverse politics with delay or advantage counterplan--the aff increases growth/hege--to access the case impact.

Also, the advantage isn't unique to any one affirmative.

If you run de-dev you might also tempt the other team to run something like anarchy.

I realize these are strats you can run against most affs....but I just think de-dev is only good if they other team isn't ready for that debate. Most teams have the files--presumably from the space topic.

Alternatively, I guess if you like the de-dev debate--maybe its for you.

Plus, to me, the limits to growth (and malthusian thinking) thesis just has holes. And the block is a long time to point out those holes. Oh...its also a Foucault link based on fear of scarcity--as well as the environmental securitization debate--although you are probably better with this aff against those claims.

In theory, its far too advantage counterplannable. Not just where one advantage goes away--but 75% to 100% of the case.

PICs bad in the 2AR

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

PICs bad in the 2AR

What would be some substance arguments to make against a PIC on DeDev to do the plan with a different mechanism?

1. I'm still not sold that the states counterplan cannot solve the whole aff, but the aff should have a whole lot of game on any possible NB which helps

On that note, here's something I read at camp against a Neoliberalism aff that claimed ableism as an advantage.

Usually teams that run Ableism read a "V2L or systemic impacts come first" so this works nice against that kind of.

States Solve poverty related transportation issue and social disparities.

Vestal 2008 (Christina journalist at Stateline.org journalism and news, August 7 (Web, 8-7-08), http://www.stateline.org/live/details/story?contentId=331776 “States adopt bold anti-poverty measures†LJ)

As the economy falters and the ranks of the poor multiply, states for the first time in recent memory are mounting high-profile, comprehensive campaigns aimed at radically reducing poverty - many with an emphasis on children.¶ ¶ At least 15 states and the District of Columbia have created bi-partisan commissions to narrow the widening gap between the rich and the poor by eliminating barriers - such as lack of education, poor transportation and inadequate child care - that prevent many from finding better jobs and escaping chronic poverty. In addition, the states are working to help disadvantaged children in the hope of breaking the generational cycle of poverty.¶ ¶ "It's striking how many states have taken on poverty as a top policy priority," Jack Tweedie, poverty director at the National Conference of State Legislatures , told Stateline.org. "No one even used the word 'poverty' in the past. It was all about helping working families."¶ ¶ Advocates for the poor say the new state poverty initiatives mark a sea change in political support for an issue that has languished for decades. And with the possibility of a Democrat in the White House and a Democratic Congress, some are optimistic the federal government also will take up the mantle and increase state assistance programs.

• Upvote 1

Ms dragon

Their both on open evidence

The c17 is the CNDI file called military transportation or something like that

airborne aircraft carriers should be called AAC

• Upvote 1

About the poll, I like Defense Access Roads the best. I think it's the only legitimately topical military-only aff on this topic. Plus the internal links into Hegemony are pretty sick.

I'll second the Abelism aff. That's my teams strategy (and my topical strategy) this year. Infinite possibilities and possibly the only type of -ism that can actually decently win root cause args. We have a version designed for lay judges and small local tournies with simple econ and systemic impacts and then several kritikal versions that vary from Butler and Queer/Crip theory to Fasching and standard 'marginilization bad' type arguments. The only problem I really see is defending state good/liberal democracy. Since this is my strategy for when topical plans are the only option I'm not too worried, but for anyone planning on running this (especially with the Butler stuff) have that one Derrida card or something on the bottom to save your ass.

Personally my favorite policy aff is port security. It may not be the best per se as a lot fo the internals are shaky and alt cause arguments are effective, I think the advantage ground is particularly fun to talk about. Also De-dev cause it's totally fun. It'd be really simple to defend some sort of Bataillian economics since the plan wouldn't need other advantages and not be FX-T.

I think that none of the camp affs are that great and the best affirmative ground is going to be home cut affs

There's a lot less room this year to be "creative" like teams were last year. Last year, you could do anything as long as you developed above the mesosphere which had a ton of options for homecut original affirmatives. Transportation Infrastructure in the US is too limiting to be able to create great homecut never-before-seen affirmatives with good adv ground.

• Upvote 1

There's a lot less room this year to be "creative" like teams were last year. Last year, you could do anything as long as you developed above the mesosphere which had a ton of options for homecut original affirmatives. Transportation Infrastructure in the US is too limiting to be able to create great homecut never-before-seen affirmatives with good adv ground.

This may not be true. The wording of the resolution only says the investment has to be in the US, which opens up a lot of opportunity for new/creative affs, if you are willing to get in a T debate most of the time.

• Upvote 1

This may not be true. The wording of the resolution only says the investment has to be in the US, which opens up a lot of opportunity for new/creative affs, if you are willing to get in a T debate most of the time.

Extra-resolutional agents seem rather extra-topical and extra-unpredictable, as well as being counterplan ground. Plus, testing them requires extra-fiat room presumably, which seems a little shady at least fairness-wise.

Are you speaking of something else?

I guess those extra-agents might be checked back by the negs ability to imagine a world of multiple ideologies with multiple individuals which aren't typical policy agents--perhaps.

The advantages are sick!

I don't understand how it's infrastructure though if it's a ship

1. "Development" is a slippery word.

2. And you can at least get an FX interp--that the ships provide a way for better development (in the present & future). Although there are actually MORE problems with that interp. It explodes the type of vehicles (police, military, & a slew of other government vehicles which support, expedite or control traffic flows) as well as the entire nature of the resolution MASSIVELY.

3. My guess is maintenance vehicles (perhaps salt trucks & street sweepers) are included in infrastructure, but surely there are definitions which explain a distinction between the actual infrastructure & the maintenance vehicles.