TimeLord

Performance Debate And Their Mission

This thread is mostly for the debaters that believe that they can start a revolution with only what they run in rounds and believe they can change the world through debate.

Would you be so kind as to explain to me why? I never understood the premise of why people try to do this and expect results. I'm not trying to be offensive in any way, so if I do offend please forgive. This has just been bugging me for the past few days, and i just want this to go away.

Thank you in advance.

Those people that run Performance for ballots and not because they believe in what they speak, please direct yourself out.

• Downvote 1

I personally don't run performance affs but I've hit some that really changed my perception of debating. There was this one aff that was based on the children's novel Bombarlari (i'm sorry i forgot how to correctly spell it) but the entire round basically worked where the 1Ac walked up spreading at like 1000words per minute for 10 seconds then saying YOU KNOW WHAT THIS IS BORING. Then she goes and sits in a chair and starts reading this children's picture book. My partner and I never hit any of these affs before so we were like wtfux. As the debate went on the other team did a combination of music playing, and motivational speeches. We as the neg did really well on framework but that still wasn't enough to win the round. The premises of their "revolution" is that fun has been taken out of all the things we do. We don't debate for the joy of debating anymore, we do it to win, and as a result we put ourselves in a world of sadness. It was a very interesting debate and I really commended them for running it.

Sorry this really isn't an answer, just a personal experience but I really want to hear other people's response about this too!

haha yes! it's bumble ardy. I know a debater that ran this, and yes, it is an incredible performance. From talking with him, I can tell that he loves it not because its strategic, but because he's found some enlightenment in it. Performances don't necessarily rely on a global revolution, the argument is a lot more meta than that. Bumble ardy breaks away from the way we think good debate should be, so when they criticize spreading and read a children's book, its within a new framework, a different way of debating.

and while ethos is great, "believing" in an argument doesn't have any place in debate. Do you really "believe" that sbsp will solve for extinction? or that sbsp will lead to extinction? That's the point of switch-side debate. Theoretically, you'll believe 50% of what comes out of your mouth. but with debate today, I don't think people believe anything they say.

that's exactly why performances are so powerful. a judge can listen to an oil da, vote on it, and walk out the room and totally forget about it. they might discuss oil policy in the real world, and have an entirely contrary opinion. the debate realm would have no orientation on the real world. but performances are so radical, and so strange, that they make you think in an entirely different way. it's revealing, and interesting. the real kicker is when the judge thinks, "if performances are so stupid, why can't the other team just go up in their speech and kill it in one sentence?" why? because they just might have righteousness on their side.

This thread is mostly for the debaters that believe that they can start a revolution with only what they run in rounds and believe they can change the world through debate.

Would you be so kind as to explain to me why? I never understood the premise of why people try to do this and expect results. I'm not trying to be offensive in any way, so if I do offend please forgive. This has just been bugging me for the past few days, and i just want this to go away.

Thank you in advance.

Those people that run Performance for ballots and not because they believe in what they speak, please direct yourself out.

first of all what is a performance debater?

and what makes you assume that someone claiming revolutionary action in debate claims that it's only through their words in a debate round?

you shouldn't lump everyone who prides themselves on progressive revolutionary thinking together... its messed up that you can take the actions of a couple individuals and assume that that sets the guidline for identifying everyone that debates in a similar way.

listen deeper to the music before you put it in a box

• Upvote 2

A Performance debater is someone that uses some sort of preformance( poetry,music,narratives etc) in a round. People don't lump them together that's just a style of debate. There i s a beauty with performance because it breaks down ever norm of debate.

Oh, and i thought that performance debaters are folks that use performance theory as a method for advocating in the debate space. i didn't know that it meant people performing tricks and singing songs, here i thought performance was one's ability to actually "perform" or "do" their advocacy. A part of it could be that i have no clue about what performance debate is, and truthfully all i did in debates anyways was just sing songs... for real though the fact that you'd generalize it to dancing and singing songs is also pretty messed up when many "performance" debaters had actual political messages to share and consider the whole debate a performance.

also what makes "traditional" styles of debate not a performance?

• Upvote 1

They do use there performance as a method for advocating what they would like to see in debate space But the do it by not preforming in the traditional ways policy hacks do ( see this interviewhttp://puttingthekindebate.com/2012/04/02/the-dr-shanara-reid-brinkley/. She talks about how the debate space has become whitened and that when you preform ( or at act outside the norm the space can be broken down to include minorities. Your right performance debaters do consider the whole debate a performance because they use alternative methods of advocating their plan or ideas. These alternatives methods prove why traditional debates arent performances. if you would like to get educated on performance debate look up teams like towson em, west Georgia and loyal em .

Argh. I got confused because I thought this was the thread that is below this thread.

We need teh deletz.

Oh, and i thought that performance debaters are folks that use performance theory as a method for advocating in the debate space. i didn't know that it meant people performing tricks and singing songs, here i thought performance was one's ability to actually "perform" or "do" their advocacy. A part of it could be that i have no clue about what performance debate is, and truthfully all i did in debates anyways was just sing songs... for real though the fact that you'd generalize it to dancing and singing songs is also pretty messed up when many "performance" debaters had actual political messages to share and consider the whole debate a performance.

also what makes "traditional" styles of debate not a performance?

was my answer good enough?

Brian misread his comment, both of you two proceeded to misread his second comment.

Saying that Brian misread a post on cross-x.com does not indict his performance debate skillz.