The Watcher

From The Topic Selection Meeting

Marshall subcommittees have met and we are back in general session -- All nine topics move through to the Wording Committee discussion for Saturday morning. Specific wordings of resolutions will be posted after the Wording Committee has had their deliberations.

Most likely, the final two topics (for 2012-2013) were announced in September. They decide they final two pretty early, the final one is decided around January.

From the Topic Selection Meeting, all nine topics were advanced to Sunday morning. They are as follows:

1. The United States federal government should substantially increase its assistance for women and/or girls in one or more of the following: Cambodia, Liberia, Libya, Myanmar, Uganda, Yemen.

2. The United States federal government should substantially increase its economic engagement toward Cuba, Mexico or Venezuela.

3. The United States federal government should substantially increase its assistance for water supply and/or water sanitation in Africa.

4. The United States federal government should substantially increase its diplomatic engagement toward India in one or more of the following: nuclear non-proliferation, trade, terrorism.

5. The United States federal government should substantially strengthen its export controls on military and/or dual-use technology toward one or more of the following: China, India, Israel, Russia, Taiwan.

6. The United States federal government should offer one of the following to the People’s Republic of China: decrease its restrictions on high-technology exports or decrease its use of political pressure on human rights issues.

7. The United States federal government should substantially increase its security assistance to one or more of the following: Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan.

8. The United States federal government should substantially increase its military presence and/or economic engagement in Southeast Asia.

9. The United States federal government should substantially increase its engagement toward the Russian Federation in one or more of the following: nuclear arms reduction, missile defense cooperation, trade barrier reduction.

Updates forthcoming.....

After the first round of voting...the Women's Topic (1) and Water (3) were eliminated. India, Latin America, and Southeast Asia had the largest numbers of votes.

Final round of voting, and the last topic to be dropped is.......China, by one vote.

Thus, the five topics going to the states for the 2013-2014 academic year are as follows:

2. The United States federal government should substantially increase its economic engagement toward Cuba, Mexico or Venezuela.

4. The United States federal government should substantially increase its diplomatic engagement toward India in one or more of the following: nuclear non-proliferation, trade, terrorism.

5. The United States federal government should substantially strengthen its export controls on military and/or dual-use technology toward one or more of the following: China, India, Israel, Russia, Taiwan.

8. The United States federal government should substantially increase its military presence and/or economic engagement in Southeast Asia.

9. The United States federal government should substantially increase its engagement toward the Russian Federation in one or more of the following: nuclear arms reduction, missile defense cooperation, trade barrier reduction.

States will be voting in the fall.

• Upvote 2

I surprisingly would enjoy to debate any of them. I'm glad it's a foreign policy topic. The Cuba topic doesn't sound very appealing though.

• Upvote 1

I don't like the Cuba/Mexico/Venezuela one very much. It's too restricting.

The India one sounds pretty baller but india relations are really high in the squo so i don't know how unique an india relations aff is...

Numbers 5, 8, and 9 are good. Number 9 sounds like the best. Russia's always fun to debate and basically connects to everything.

I don't like the Cuba/Mexico/Venezuela one very much. It's too restricting.

I don't understand why they wouldn't include countries like Brazil, who are untapped economic powerhouses, in any Latin American topic. That's what makes it undesirable to me.

I actually like #2. alot. I think the fact that two of the countries are our some of our enemies makes it interesting and the ground will be fairly well-divided. I like 9 but to me the topic seems fairly aff-biased.

I actually like #2. alot. I think the fact that two of the countries are our some of our enemies makes it interesting and the ground will be fairly well-divided. I like 9 but to me the topic seems fairly aff-biased.

There's still room for a lot of neg ground. There's a lot of lit on why relations with Russia is bad.

• Downvote 1

In general, there has been a movement in recent years to more restricted and generally unidirectional topics. The topic paper for Latin America did include Brazil (along with Bolivia and Colombia) but the subcommittee felt that including six nations in the list with a term like "economic engagement" would make the topic too big and thus difficult for negatives to adequately develop good case arguments. The India topic initially had some resolutions that included Pakistan. Part of the problem with Brazil is that it's government is relatively friendly with the United States and so there are some good economic ties. Mexico is sort of the same way but between the drug war, NAFTA, and some other issues, it was deemed to be too fertile a ground to ignore. Hence, a Cuba/Mexico/Venezuela resolution.

Coming out of the meeting, all the resolutions look promising. Even a couple that didn't make it would have been good too.

Final round of voting, and the last topic to be dropped is.......China, by one vote.

Thus, the five topics going to the states for the 2013-2014 academic year are as follows:

States will be voting in the fall.

8 would be absolutely amazing, 4 too. but really all of those seem pretty sick.

And I'm stuck with Transportation senior year. What a bunch of balls.

I agree. I would rather debate any of those topics than this one, or the space topic.

I like India. All of them have good content, but India has broad yet restrictive limits. There's lots of diversity in what can be read but still solid ground on everything. The other ones that I like are all too broad.