Sign in to follow this  
ktg9616

Verbatim Speech Docs

Is there a way to send cards from a file to speech with a button/macro on Verbatim for Mac OSX?

yes, you need to have the latest version with the tool bar that you can move around. you have to create a speech doc using that toolbar, and then pick whatever heading level in the sidebar (pocket, hat, block, tag) and click "send to speech doc" on the toolbar and it will be sent wherever the cursor is on the speech doc

I'm fairly certain tilde is now Card Marker for when you clip a card, or cut it out of a speech. Send block, on Mac, in Verbatim, would be CTRL+Command+Right. Many shortcut key functions aren't done because of the way keyboard shortcuts are embedded into OS X that make them different from Windows Word. http://paperlessdeba...m/verbatim/mac/

Side note regarding Card Marking, since the ~ key was brought up :)

This is a practice I'm going to start demanding, in rounds, and if not done, I'm simply not going to evaluate anything to do with that piece of evidence, as a judge. I'm getting really tired of hearing kids say "clip the card there" or overloading a speech.doc and then skipping pages of cards just to screw up the other team as much as possible.

Paper debaters are expected to give a marked version of their speech immediately after the speech. My new standard is that you be prepared to jump a corrected version of Speech immediately after your speech. I'm not sure why this expectation hasn't been enforced at the high school level, maybe it has, in some areas, but there's always one or two rounds, at every tournament, that just end up being beyond ridiculous.

overloading a speech.doc and then skipping pages of cards just to screw up the other team as much as possible.

Paper debaters do that too tho, a lot of times theyll only read one or two cards from a sheet of paper and not read one or more from that same page, it should be the debaters responsibility to flow the speech instead of relying on the provided speech doc/papers

However, I do agree card marking is a legit issue

I agree that card clipping is a big issue if they don't stop the card where they said they did, but I don't see a problem with sending blocks to your speech doc and not reading certain cards out of it. That's what flowing is for. If the other team really can't flow whether or not I read x card, they can ask me in CX.

I've seen 25-30 page Speech docs jumped before. What I'm saying is that with paper you're asked to mark/show which cards were read/not read a lot of times right after the speech. You ought to be able to provide the exact same with paperless and do it quickly. I've seen a lot of teams overload the Speech doc to sandbag cross-x time this way.

Sorry to hijack your thread.

I've seen 25-30 page Speech docs jumped before. What I'm saying is that with paper you're asked to mark/show which cards were read/not read a lot of times right after the speech. You ought to be able to provide the exact same with paperless and do it quickly. I've seen a lot of teams overload the Speech doc to sandbag cross-x time this way.

Sorry to hijack your thread.

2 different things there

1. Marking cards - yes, this is an obligation of the team, it's something that's hard to keep a record of just via your flow while debating. Also, when someone says "marked", I write down the last word I heard.

2. Removing cards - this one depends for me. If there are some extra cards, I don't think there's an obligation to immediately remove them. If the other team wants to take CX time to ask for this, they can (if a paper team was asked to mark which cards they read, I would count that as prep/CX). Now, if there are just so many extra cards that it is not reasonably possible for the other team to find the cards in the document, I'm more likely to be lenient on getting a re-jumped version