Sign in to follow this  
CaptainFalcon

A Missouri Wiki

Kansas has done this and been tremendously successful. I made a wiki for Missouri teams to disclose. Grant and I will disclose all our cites to args we read, and disclose arguments we hear teams read against us. Disclose whatever you like, cites, full text, just a plan, some advantage tags, whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Most MO teams stay within the state or at least close, with the exception of a few, but even those teams can post a link on the MO wiki to their circuit wiki. Because it doesn't seem necessary to post on the circuit wiki if you don't travel the circuit.

Why disclose, you ask?

It allows a deeper, more in depth debate. Those debates allow teams to determine who is better, make more crafty negative strategies that don't simply consist of the spending DA, and learn more about the intricacies of an affirmative .

http://mopolicy.wikispaces.com

Feel free to put your school and name on there early and set your page up. This could make Missouri debate a ton more competitive and change norms surrounding debate in MO.

• Upvote 5

I had this idea at camp this year, but I was way too lazy to ever set it up. I'll definitely make sure the rest of the Blue Springs team gets on there eventually.

Don't get your hopes up. People have tried it numerous times and it has failed horribly.

I think it was Pembroke or Marshfield. I'm also not sure why you wouldn't just go through the national wiki...

• Upvote 1

I second the national wiki idea. more streamlined. better structure.

If that's a consensus, it may just be easier. There are a few technical barriers to the free version of the wiki, but I could try and glue shit together. That may be worthwhile, I was just wanting MO teams to see MO teams disclosing, and I figured it'd be easier.

• Upvote 1

I'm reminded of the time at KCKCC when everyone thought that Marquette was the team from Milwaukee, and not the team from Chesterfield.

I don't really have a point, I guess.

"Learn to read" is the theme, I suppose.

• Upvote 2

I have been thinking about this a lot lately, and some thoughts come to mind from my own personal experience.

First is the community, In Missouri this type of disclosure system is heavily frowned upon by most of the coaches all over the state. Missouri simply wont change with the exceptions of the Pembrokes and Marshfields of the world. This same type of attitude is reflected on the debaters, regardless of their own feelings I think there is fear from their own coaches regarding backlash if they did disclose even when they were told not to. I think youre going to have a hard time convincing enough people to do this in your district to make it worth your time.

With that being said I think that there are ways that you can get this done, even if that means doing it by yourself. My senior year at Marquette we kept an open spreadsheet on a google doc, and we updated it after every tournament, INCLUDING judging paradigms and preferences, winning arguments etc. This was our cheat sheet for most of the year and it allowed us to stop asking those annoying questions before the debate about how judge X felt about argument Y. It just made it seem like we already knew and we were prepared for the debate. (this is what our team does at Missouri State as well, it is an extremley effective way of keeping track of everything and having it simplified. It is much more simple to ask a judges name for your spread sheet after the round than it is to ask them their paradigms before the round and look like a fool having to change everything that you have prepared.)

I think this is what you should do. Maybe cooperate with the poeple who are willing to do this "missouri disclosure system" and have them continuously update this google doc spread sheet throughout the year. This means you get disclosure from the teams that you havent faced with other people's help and you dont have to piss off the teams and coaches because you keep asking.

My last and final tidbit of advice is to just disclose anyways. This is what we did at Marquette my senior year and it was effective. We began disclosing whether or not the other team was going to. This lead other teams to start doing it as well, because of our spread sheet it didnt make a difference really on whether or not they disclosed because we already knew and were prepared for everything that they had already read. So it seemed to be just a polite gesture on our part and then coaches and other teams got on board as well.

Thats just my two cents take it for what its worth, but thats what worked for us and what helped us become successful.