Sign in to follow this  
2redpartyhats

Flowing And Paperless Debate?

we're switching over to paperless next season, but are struggling to figure out how to incorporate both flow and speech on a laptop.

So I have the verbatim word template and the synergy flow template, and it isnt too hard to switch back and forth, or just pull them up side-by-side, but I don't want to do any of that during a speech. if I flow their speeches in excel, it would make sense to put my line-by-line in the next column of the flow- it guarantees I won't miss anything, and it gives me structure, "they say" and whatnot. but what do I do with blocks, overviews, and cards? a separate speech doc isn't too bad, but it would be terrifying to constantly switch between them.

can I import the flow into word or something that consolidates them? I feel like paper flow is problem.

maybe I'm just being silly, but I would love some help.

-2rph

Build a mind palace instead. It's really quite simple.

lolololololololol

Well, unless you have slave labor, it'll be expensive.

I'm siding with those that say you should still flow on paper. It'll be easier to organize your answers on the computer while you flow on paper.

do you guys write your answers down on the paper flow then, and use that to guide you through the blocks and cards while referencing the flow for analytics?

just like paper, I guess.

I have only let students paperlessly flow in two situations:

1) They have, or may as well have a handwriting disability and it's an imperative.

2) They are senior debaters who have decided they are a one-off K type of team.

In all other situations a Paper flow seems to be ideal. It seems that most coaches and debaters agree on this. Not many are sure why. My theory is that the flow serves as a visual "mind map" and that having it on-top of the evidence via alt+tab, or being stuck with one sheet at a time blocks/covers up some of the visual triggers that we develop on our flows.

I know that when I was debating there would be times when something on my flow, or on a different flow than what I was on would catch my eye and remind me to say something, cross-apply something, or that I had forgotten to answer something important, etc. I've seen this happen too often by paper flowing teams and not done by paperless flowers to think that this experience is unique to me.

• Upvote 1

so I tried out the digidebate suite, and I love how you can quickly send cards from the word template to a speech, and also send your flow from the excel template into the same speech.

that's why I thought paperless flow would be much easier- having the option to embed your flow/linebyline right into your speech means you don't have to hold paper while reading cards from your computer, and looking between both.

is there any other way? does verbatim have this?

There's not much in the way of paperless flowing going on with Verbatim, yet. My e-mails with Hardy over developing the DebateOS template led me to believe that he will be paying more attention to flowing in the next version.