TheMurph

Preformance Debate Good Or Bad?

Hello my fellow debaters i am posting this because preformance style debate has become very popular in my area and i want to hear about you feel about it. So two questions One is it fair? two how do we engage in these discussions and still have normal policy rounds?

• Upvote 1

I'd agree with the advice of trying to avoid a policy debate at that point. It is possible for the negative team to run a perm for the performance, but that's really rare and it may be hard to win.

An example strategy I've seen was the aff running Lady Gaga, so the neg ran speciesism (along with topicality and other things). It was actually kind of funny as the aff said Lady Gaga was against killing animals, as evidenced by her meat dress. The neg crushed them on that.

this might sound kinda squirrelly, but it's always really useful to PIC out of some aspect of their performance (i.e. music, dancing, rapping, art, etc) because chances are, they aren't going to bog you down with lots of theory with fairness or education impacts, otherwise you're going to win the framework debate fairly easily (assuming you read a basic framework shell).

also, it's always good to read a K that links to their aff to get some extra offense (I know Cap and Kappler are pretty universal)

All debate is performance. Some types of performance are just different than the normal type.

If you perform and are topical then there's really no question of abuse. If you're not topical, then the abuse still really has nothing to do with the performance, just your advocacy.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Performance debate Bad IMO. Rarely do the kids actually mean anything they actually say.

I don't think you've ever seen a good performance team. Or you have and you're pissy that you lost. And I'm pretty sure that most teams reading whiteness would love to hear you say that in round.

Generally the best argument i think is just to go on a rant about how they are taking your education and that is what we were hear for.

Right, except they've already impact turned your idea of education. Why is their form of education bad? Why shouldn't we look at the topic from that perspective in that one round?

Just in general, I think performance debate is good. It opens up the topic to interpretations from different perspectives. And it's a different kind of argumentation that makes policy debate more interesting, in my opinion.

Edited by Rawrcat
  • Upvote 2

I don't think you've ever seen a good performance team. Or you have and you're pissy that you lost. And I'm pretty sure that most teams reading whiteness would love to hear you say that in round.

Right, except they've already impact turned your idea of education. Why is their form of education bad? Why shouldn't we look at the topic from that perspective in that one round?

Just in general, I think performance debate is good. It opens up the topic to interpretations from different perspectives. And it's a different kind of argumentation that makes policy debate more interesting, in my opinion.

But what happens when lots of people do this and then every one is going to be like we dont need to meet the rez.

• Downvote 1

But what happens when lots of people do this and then every one is going to be like we dont need to meet the rez.

There will always be debaters/squads who believe that performance debate is a bad form of debate / doesn't belong in the activity. Towson, Louisville, and West Georgia (and others, but I am unfamiliar with the college circuit) have been doing "performance" for a very long time. So if we're being policy-debaters here, the argument would be "empirically denied."

Let's assume that all debaters are crazy K hack hippies and don't defend the resolution. The fact that some of the judging pool despises these types of debate leads again to empirically denied / one team cheating their values to win the round (thus violating the assuming).

Let's even assume all judges AND debaters are crazy K hack hippies that don't defend the resolution or care if you do. When a topic comes out, even the K debaters research the topic to see how the affirmative (even if not topical), relates to the year's question we are supposed to discuss. That research, even if it is so they can "cheat" and run a K aff, solves back your education claim (or proves why that education is bad), while arguing that the education they provide by seeing this issue or thinking about it in this way is better and more (or net) educational.

• Upvote 1

This dude's trolling clearly.

performance debate good - it gets a good message across that we can all benefit from hearing and even if a team doesn't really believe in their particular argument it's still good that they're at least saying something relevant. plus how many debaters actually believe the war on terrorism is good but still claim terror advantages.

you can still be a "policy" style debater, if trying to outleft people isn't your thing... go for hegemony good, state good, capitalism good, politics good

if they don't affirm the resolution in any way, then be aff for them... talk about why the resolution can be good and give example's of why that's true.

people all the time assume that there's no point of clash in a performance debate, and that's just false. alot of people assume that you can't debate policies against them, that's also false.

pics are cute but they aren't always the smartest thing to go for... it's not wise to concede their method then pic out of something that is a clear staple part of their advocacy.

• Upvote 2

pics are cute but they aren't always the smartest thing to go for... it's not wise to concede their method then pic out of something that is a clear staple part of their advocacy.

This seems really obvious in retrospect, but I never came close to realizing it. koool.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was trolling. I do enjoy performance There is a high chance i will be debating in this way so was trying to get in the head of the competition.

• Upvote 2

D-d-did you just trick us into helping you brainstorm for your 2AC framework blocks?

You sly guerrilla bastard.

• Downvote 1