Sign in to follow this  
Lhsdebate97

At Camp And Need K Help!

Im at Scfi and im in LD. Im looking for some help on Ks. The topic we are doing is the united states ought to guarantee universal health care for its citizens. Can someone please explain Ks and tell me some that would work good with this. Im thinking about running feminism. Thanks

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Use libertarian arguments about Obamacare as links into Foucault, if you want lots of recent links. Or read a straight up Libertarianism K (I suggest not doing this though). You could also use Foucault arguments as links to Foucault, if you want links that will be harder to find but might be higher quality (and which will be more specific to your impact and alternatives). Sickness is constructed by society, especially in terms of mental health. There are also good articles about fear of disease being bad. The Biopower K is really the most obvious one on this topic, though, so you'll need to be careful.

In a vein that is probably, but not necessarily, less K related: you might want to interrogate what the phrase "guarantee universal health care" means. Does that mean that everyone gets equal healthcare? Does that mean that everyone gets a super crappy version of guaranteed healthcare? Does that mean everyone gets super duper Bill Gates style healthcare? I think you can use cross-x to force them into one extreme or the other, and then you'll have a great link to either a K or a DA. It's very unlikely that they'll defend a middle ground and that they'll have evidence specific to that middle ground. There's probably a way you could make topicality interact with this as well, if you're not scared of RVIs.

There are probably arguments to be made about excluding illegals or other countries, but the alternative debate there will be iffy and will probably lose to perms. On the other hand, a combination of a Brain Drain DA / Imperialism K / Resource Tradeoff DA would be really interesting. The rich US citizens live forever with their doctors while everyone in Africa dies of things that should actually be really easy to cure. It would turn the case very easily, and the permutation is probably impossible when read in that vein because there's only a finite amount of doctors and resources we can spend on healthcare. If you can answer the permutation via First Priority type of arguments then I think this would catch lots of people by surprise.

Whatever you do, when you're attempting to implement it your main goal should be to exploit the time disparity that's already present. If you have five arguments that can morph into voting issues at the end of the round with just the K alone, then you've practically already won. The massive time skew is a shame for the other team, but since you have the advantage you should definitely use it. The K should mainly be a mechanism towards that goal.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Here are 6 critiques:

1. Disease rhetoric bad. Foucault & others. Its basically biopower, but its also a division of the pure and the dirty (tantamount to the health care scares of the middle ages with quarantines).

2. Western health bad. Alternative health better.

3. Western science bad. Science = dehumanization & pseudosolutions

4. Coersion & libertarianism.

5. Decentralization good. Hayekian theory of human nature, organizations, & efficiency/success. One size fits all solutions = bad. This is also compatable with a state based solution. Universal & guarantee lock in a more rigid framework than is necessary.

6. Critique the notion of citizenship.

The 3 easies to deal with:

1. Coersion is probably the easiest one to deal with.

2. Federalism and/or Hayek and/or Decentralization [i think this is fundamental systems theory]

3. Critiquing the notion of citizenship (aka inside/outside). This can be permed perhaps--but probably not.

You might think of an individual centered alternatives for some of the above--like medical savings accounts. It would solve to a great extent--

Or perhaps the alternative is heath care price controls--to make health care more affordable.

Or....only workers should get it.....and exclude non-workers. Also provide individuals the option to opt out--whatever that might entail.

Or for instance, providing preventive care might solve most of the problems with out undue crushing economic burdens caused by end of life care (I think 50% of health care costs are in the last 5 years of life). Thats an inexact statistic--but I think its pretty close to what the literature on health care policy says. You can research more to find out.

• Upvote 1