OnTopicAaron

Laptop For Paperless Next Year?

I'm looking into buying a LAPTOP (not netbook) partially because our school wants to go Paperless. (God knows why). And I need a little help. Looking at all the options and features and blah blah blah, just makes my head spin. So, I figured, why not go straight to the kids who can help. YOU GUYS! I know I need lots of R.A.M. and a large Hard Drive, but what laptops are you guys using for policy, and would you recommend it for someone else (Me).

I'm a huge streamer, so that's why I view lots of ram as a must :/ probably wrong on that.

What else are you going to be doing besides debating? If all you are doing is document editing/debate work and web browsing, you don't need lots of RAM or a large hard drive because you aren't doing anything particularly resource intensive.

As a general rule, avoid Gateway and HP because they have the highest malfunction rates. Asus, Toshiba, Dell and IBM are good brands. Don't pay more than $500 unless you are going to be doing something hardcore (lots of video/sound editing, playing Crysis on max settings, etc.).

Also, Apple is evil so just avoid them on principle.

I use a Toshiba Satellite L755, I haven't had any problems with it at all, and it's about $340 at Radio Shack, (I got mine for $300 during the week of Thanksgiving) I also use it for schoolwork and it can play games that are from the last console generation or the early games from the current one.

• Upvote 2

I don't suggest AMD based laptops. AMD seems to have lost their way over the last 2 or 3 years. I disagree on the Dell suggestion, unless cost is an issue. I have yet to meet a Dell that I liked.

I'll also disagree on the HP, thing. HPs are ok, but only if you get one of their higher end notebooks or business class versions. These, like IBMs, tend to last forever.

Lenovo isn't bad, and they continue to get better since dropping off somewhat when they became their own corporation. Toshiba and Asus are decent, too.

For debate purposes I think anything under 12.1" screens are probably unacceptably small for various reasons. 14" screens are a good place to start or a 13"+ widescreen. 2GBs of RAM would also be a good baseline I wouldn't go under. Solid State Disk vs. 500GB/1TB hard drive: This depends on whether you stream most things (netflix, hulu, spotify, pandora, etc) or have a huge media collection. If you want to get the most out of what you have the Solid State Disk really speeds a lot of things up. Lack of space can be made up with a portable external hard drive. 1 Terabyte portables go on sale for as low as $80-90.

Apple: There is no reasonable digital debate tub solution for OS X. The closest you'd have is likely an overabundance of "stacks" and the advanced search functions Spotlight has. The templates work just fine, though, if that's the way you want to go. If taken care of, you ought to be able to use a new macbook for 4 or 5 years (the one I've been using is 6 years old with at least 1 or 2 years of solid use left in it for me - upgraded ram and harddrive, on the second battery still).

The new ultrabooks that just came out are supposed to be fantastic, particularly Samsung's, if you have the money for such things.

And as the person who pushes Free and Open Source Software, particularly linux and LibreOffice, for debate. Here is a company that makes very very good consumer level laptops with Ubuntu. https://www.system76.com/

It really depends on what you're planning to do on your laptop, if it's just text-editing and multimedia, your not going to need anything more than an HP or Lenovo notebook with 4 GB's of RAM at most, unless you plan on running a server on it.

Just don't get a HP. Also, my laptop has an AMD possessor and it works perfectly fine, but I would recommend Intel anway

I vote Toshiba. I have one and I've seen pretty awesome ones for like 450 with 8 gb of ram, 750 gb hard drives, and 2.3 ghz processors. I'd check out best buy for good ones if I were you. I've had my satellite for a little over a year and have had no problems with it really.

I vote Toshiba. I have one and I've seen pretty awesome ones for like 450 with 8 gb of ram, 750 gb hard drives, and 2.3 ghz processors. I'd check out best buy for good ones if I were you. I've had my satellite for a little over a year and have had no problems with it really.

They're prolly perfect for your needs but the speakers suck, like you cant hear anything, its THAT soft

• Upvote 1

They're prolly perfect for your needs but the speakers suck, like you cant hear anything, its THAT soft

So true.