Sign in to follow this  
theone827

"anarchy: A Love Story" Critical Aff

I've started designing an AFF centered around anarchist ideals that the state is dehumanizing and oppressive, so the plan consists of the USFG starting a federal lottery and then investing that money in private resurfacing companies to expand the interstate highway system. so far my contentions are "State power vs. goverment" and "The state monopoly" this is all I have so far, but if anyone has any suggestions, comments, or good anarchical philosophers/works it would be much appreciated

Well..... this isn't really an Anarchy aff, it's just a dissolves Federal power into the authority of states. Which is still just localized power, thus not anarchy. Also, even if you win that your affirmative is an affirmation of Anarchy, how does that translate into a complete abolition of the federal government? Or I guess what I'm asking is, how does this one instance of "anarchy" solve all other instances of state power?

• Upvote 3

though the plan won't reach true anarchy, it doesn't matter since simply attempting to implement anarchial esque ideas even with no success is better than letting the state oppression and dehumanization go without opposition, and the idea isn't just to decentralize federal power, it's to dissolve the power of the state. the goverment is just a social system of order, while the state is an entity of certain governments that's aim is to strip social power from citizens and oppress the people for their own state centered gains. Also it isn't necessarily the highway expansion that stops the oppression, but by moving expansion projects to non-state entities helps take power from the abusive state-system by removing the state monopoly on highway resurfacing.

Im still not sure how you are able to dissolve the power of the state by moving expansion projects to non-entities. I think Sam pointed it out perfectly when he said

Well..... this isn't really an Anarchy aff, it's just a dissolves Federal power into the authority of states. Which is still just localized power, thus not anarchy. Also, even if you win that your affirmative is an affirmation of Anarchy, how does that translate into a complete abolition of the federal government? Or I guess what I'm asking is, how does this one instance of "anarchy" solve all other instances of state power?

I guess a possible argument against this is how your solvency mechanism will fail and be co-opted and only serve to make the system you oppose even stronger. Moving one expansion project to non-state entities probably won't solve for all instances of state oppression.

I have cards on the localized goverment saying that simply localizing gov wont solve the problem of an abusive state, I hadn't thought of the civ K yet, but I'll start blocking out answers for that now that you've mentioned it, and simply taking away one state monopoly wont solve for every instance of oppression, but some of the cards I've cut center around the idea that one breakdown of a state monopoly will cause people's personal philosophies in the US to shift which will in tern set up the ability to reduce state centered power, which will help stop state-sponsored oppression and dehumanization. And the plan doesn't specificly hinge on moving power from the federal level to the authority of the states, but instead dissolving state power to create a goverment system uncorrupted by state-sponsored ideals.

yeah, i've already cut a few perm cards for privatization since that'll probably be one of the most common neg arguments I'll be getting

so far my contentions are "State power vs. goverment" and "The state monopoly" this is all I have so far, but if anyone has any suggestions, comments, or good anarchical philosophers/works it would be much appreciated

What you are calling "contentions"...aren't. They don't contend anything. Make an argument, then prove it.

I have cards on the localized goverment saying that simply localizing gov wont solve the problem of an abusive state, I hadn't thought of the civ K yet, but I'll start blocking out answers for that now that you've mentioned it, and simply taking away one state monopoly wont solve for every instance of oppression, but some of the cards I've cut center around the idea that one breakdown of a state monopoly will cause people's personal philosophies in the US to shift which will in tern set up the ability to reduce state centered power, which will help stop state-sponsored oppression and dehumanization. And the plan doesn't specificly hinge on moving power from the federal level to the authority of the states, but instead dissolving state power to create a goverment system uncorrupted by state-sponsored ideals.

well, i guess if you wanna do this man, go do it. You seem bent on it

I've started designing an AFF centered around anarchist ideals that the state is dehumanizing and oppressive, so the plan consists of the USFG starting a federal lottery and then investing that money in private resurfacing companies to expand the interstate highway system. so far my contentions are "State power vs. goverment" and "The state monopoly" this is all I have so far, but if anyone has any suggestions, comments, or good anarchical philosophers/works it would be much appreciated

Prodhoun wrote:

To be GOVERNED is to be watched, inspected, spied upon, directed, law-driven, numbered, regulated, enrolled, indoctrinated, preached at, controlled, checked, estimated, valued, censured, commanded, by creatures who have neither the right nor the wisdom nor the virtue to do so. To be GOVERNED is to be at every operation, at every transaction noted, registered, counted, taxed, stamped, measured, numbered, assessed, licensed, authorized, admonished, prevented, forbidden, reformed, corrected, punished. It is, under pretext of public utility, and in the name of the general interest, to be place[d] under contribution, drilled, fleeced, exploited, monopolized, extorted from, squeezed, hoaxed, robbed; then, at the slightest resistance, the first word of complaint, to be repressed, fined, vilified, harassed, hunted down, abused, clubbed, disarmed, bound, choked, imprisoned, judged, condemned, shot, deported, sacrificed, sold, betrayed; and to crown all, mocked, ridiculed, derided, outraged, dishonored. That is government; that is its justice; that is its morality.

This is what an actual anarchist thinks about government. What is your plan? Have government ... (and Proudhon would have stopped you right there).

• Problem One: You don't dissolve government; you make it more attractive by making it seem less obtrusive (all the better to oppress us). This is problematic whether you are a market anarchist (which you seem to advocate) or an anarcho-syndicalist. You are not going to find a single solvency advocate within the anarchy literature.
  • Problem Two: You aren't topical. Organizing a federal lottery is not topical action, and the effects of a federal lottery are not topical either (since they involve another actor). A related problem is you cannot fiat the private resurfacing companies will do anything with the money.
  • Problem Three: The state does not dissolve itself. Anarchists are not gradualists or compromisers. They do not believe in an incremental reduction of statist power, nor is there any solvency mechanism by which the state would dissolve with half-measures, nor is there any incentive for the state to dissolve itself post-plan.
  • Problem Four: You will lose to any position that uses the same literature base as you're proposing to use because they will always go farther than you. Whether it's some kind of Statism Kritik or even a cheesy Anarchy CP, if government is bad, less government than you can advocate will always be better. Even a Private Companies CP would be comparatively less government and offer better solvency (since you can't guarantee anybody would do anything with the money).
  • Problem Five: Your plan is the status quo (minus the lottery). The government contracts work; it does not do it itself. Perhaps you intend to jettison the regulatory function of government as well, but minimum safety standards, etc. seem (on face) a good idea to most people, making this a tough sell. A semi-decent CP (of whatever variety) will always be able to guarantee safer, better built roads. That seems like a pretty solid net benefit to me.
  • Problem Six: A better federal highway system, whether built by private companies or the federal government, makes government more efficient and facilitates oppression. Anarchists believe in de-centralization, not its opposite.

You are wasting your time with this idea.

If you really, really want to run anarchy on the aff on this resolution, critique the resolution, using the standard "Who will build the roads?" objection to anarchy as a metaphor for why government is not truly necessary. Argue that switch sides debate forcing you to affirm begs the question as to whether government is ever justified (instead of justified in this instance), increasing the hegemonic power of the state (whether you win or lose, since it will always implicitly justify the idea of the state). Argue that the only ethical stance is not to play by the rules, to opt out of the system.

• Upvote 3

CP Text: Dissolve government to a local level

CP Text: Dissolve the US constitution and re-institute the Articles of Confederation

Although I think that this empirically fails. Just a hunch.

If you really wanted to run anarchy on the aff and have it be semi-topical, you'd need to read something like dedev (which is most heinously topical)

Sign in to follow this